[Uber Eats] Takeout Day 20% off orders $30+

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2020 12:35 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1761 posts
619 upvotes
BC
john.canad wrote: why do restaurants even sign up delivery companies then if their margin is so narrow
Margins are not usually narrow in the food business. I don't know where "0 to 15%" comes from. But businesses want to increase sales by getting new customers, not by having regulars pay less. Perhaps the businesses are hoping in the long term, they gain new, loyal customers that stick with them even after UberEats or whatever delivery service stops subsidizing and doing promos and becomes cheaper to cut out the middle man like in the olden days.
Koodo: $40/5GB Unlimited Canada wide calling
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1527 posts
2472 upvotes
rkt1337 wrote: Why would i support a business on thin margins? It only means there's too many of them. What i want is a few amazing restaurants that taste amazing. Not 500 shitty ones and 2-3 good ones that dilute the money for the segment so much that they all earn nothing and make the customer feel bad for taking part of a promotion.
Not possible. The restaurant industry is too competitive. If a business is doing well, others will enter the market and drive up supply to meet the high demand, leading to lower prices. Economics 101. It's just a really competitive space. McDonalds, Momofuku, Cactus Club Cafe, Boston Pizza, Subway, Whole Foods cafeteria, that little restaurant with great pho opened by that nice immigrant Vietnamese couple: they're all competing with each other for your $ when you decide to eat out.
My wife has had restaurants, i've seen this countless time. 1 restaurant opens and makes tons of moeny and 20 copy cat open in the same area and everyone is then poor. Then they all go out of business and 2-3 survive. That's what we need here.
Exactly. EVERY RESTAURANT is a "copy cat" restaurant because they're serving food just like every other restaurant out there. That's why this space is so competitive. That's why the profit margins are so thin. You might think that the "1 restaurant opens " is unique and deserving of higher profit margins because it's serving some new type of ramen (or whatever) and playing cool music but there's nothing special about it. They're serving food. They're just 1 additional option for anyone wanting to eat out. So they're competing with all the other restaurants out there.

why do restaurants even sign up delivery companies then if their margin is so narrow
Because they have to. Because all their competitors are signed up for the delivery companies and if they don't, then they're going to miss out... even if they're making next to nothing from those orders.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1742 posts
654 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
I just used Uber Eats the first the today. A&W costs twice as much because you cannot use your coupons. They offered free delivery, with a count down time of 45 seconds. It took my 2 minutes to complete the checkout, so I didn't get that... There is a service fee added you find out at about at the end.

When the delivery arrived it was missing part of my order. When I went to report it, they automatically added a tip. But I was able to edit away the tip. No tip for a driver who doesn't check the order.

It has been two hours and they haven't responded to my missing food report.

This was the first, and probably last time I will use Uber Eats. I would not paying much if I actually got what I paid for. But instead, I ended up going without so my son and wife could have their food.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
12822 posts
7766 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
How can the driver check your order when the bags are sealed?
facebook259 wrote: I just used Uber Eats the first the today. A&W costs twice as much because you cannot use your coupons. They offered free delivery, with a count down time of 45 seconds. It took my 2 minutes to complete the checkout, so I didn't get that... There is a service fee added you find out at about at the end.

When the delivery arrived it was missing part of my order. When I went to report it, they automatically added a tip. But I was able to edit away the tip. No tip for a driver who doesn't check the order.

It has been two hours and they haven't responded to my missing food report.

This was the first, and probably last time I will use Uber Eats. I would not paying much if I actually got what I paid for. But instead, I ended up going without so my son and wife could have their food.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1742 posts
654 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
Cheapo-Findo wrote: How can the driver check your order when the bags are sealed?
Are they? Who seals them? The driver or the restaurant? I did notice some two sided tape when I opened it. But it seems the type that can be sealed many times. I expected that was just to make sure nothing fell into the bag while it was sitting on the porch.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
12822 posts
7766 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
restaurant seals so driver can't tamper with food.
facebook259 wrote: Are they? Who seals them? The driver or the restaurant? I did notice some two sided tape when I opened it. But it seems the type that can be sealed many times. I expected that was just to make sure nothing fell into the bag while it was sitting on the porch.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1742 posts
654 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
Cheapo-Findo wrote: restaurant seals so driver can't tamper with food.
Well that is a bummer. Fast food restaurants mess up the orders regularly. No point in even ordering from them if nobody is double checking the orders.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1742 posts
654 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
facebook259 wrote: Well that is a bummer. Fast food restaurants mess up the orders regularly. No point in even ordering from them if nobody is double checking the orders.
As a result they gave me a 5 dollar "Uber Cash" credit. I complained a drink and fries cost $6.31 with tax. The first person sent me a too bad too sad type message. No refund, no additional credit. I sent a message saying I would dispute with my credit card. They sent a second $5 cash credit. I added the $5 promotion and that gave me just enough to order another meal. This time everything was fine. I'm satisfied. But given there refusal to issue a refund when the items were not delivered, nor even reply within a timeframe that would have let me reorder before cooking for myself, I doubt I'll use Uber Eats again anytime soon. It is simple not a reliable nor cost effective option.