Expired Hot Deals

[Uber Eats] YMMV 30% off minimum order of $50 - max discount of $25 - expires June 1

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2020 5:26 am
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2881 posts
855 upvotes
Ottawa
Redcontrollers wrote: I've never spent more than $25 on these apps. No clue how you guys can spend $50+ on food delivery apps. These apps are rip off and often differ from the actual menu pricing in-store. The only time you'll catch me ordering is using SkipTheDishes coupon codes
Lol.. Well it's easy to stay under 25 bucks if you're single and order fast food kinda meals.. But if you're ordering actual normal restaurant food.. Appetizer.. Entree, dessert. Some sort of beverage.. For multiple people, it's easy 100 bucks in a blink, delivery, tip, services charge. Tax.. Food..
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
3520 posts
246 upvotes
Richmond
Redcontrollers wrote: I've never spent more than $25 on these apps. No clue how you guys can spend $50+ on food delivery apps. These apps are rip off and often differ from the actual menu pricing in-store. The only time you'll catch me ordering is using SkipTheDishes coupon codes
With coupon codes like this here it makes more sense. If you choose pickup, they do not charge service fees. You need to compare with their regular menus and other apps to make sure the prices aren't inflated.

I used all 5 coupons tonight and saved about $125 in total. Paid with Amex Platinum too which has 12% cashback right now for restaurants, which Uber Eats qualifies for. You just have to know what you're doing.
Nov 22, 2012
968 posts
693 upvotes
VANCOUVER
So basically, you are cheap and familyless? Because, you know, the more mouths you feed, the bigger the bill!

Ordered $50 and got the promised discount, which even after the fees and tips, was still saved a few dollars.

I don't understand what people want any of the delivery services to charge. Say they're skimming 30% but you want them to drop to 10%? Say an average order is $27, so they would essentially get $2.70 from the restaurant, of course in addition to the $0-$1.99 fee they charge the consumer. So you want a delivery company to assume all the risks, build out infrastructure, and manage and handle all the drivers, incur credit card transaction fees, and fraud, for little to no profit?
Dec 24, 2017
163 posts
125 upvotes
Vancouver
M@rk wrote: With coupon codes like this here it makes more sense. If you choose pickup, they do not charge service fees. You need to compare with their regular menus and other apps to make sure the prices aren't inflated.

I used all 5 coupons tonight and saved about $125 in total. Paid with Amex Platinum too which has 12% cashback right now for restaurants, which Uber Eats qualifies for. You just have to know what you're doing.
You ordered $400+ worth of food in one night ? You really know what you’re doing !
Mar 30, 2016
167 posts
130 upvotes
canucks4life wrote: Hmm $50 is a stretch for me remember they charge service fee percentage as well on total amount
If you order for pickup there are no fees!
May 27, 2007
34 posts
2 upvotes
Markham
Got no such offer... Probably targeted for specific regions. I'm in Markham.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
10822 posts
2747 upvotes
Scarberia
ot: i think skip and uber are banning same CCs now..i just got denied on uber and skip the same CC i've been using on google pay!!! no more gravy train lol , i lost my 10$ off codes when the payment entered failed screen! went back to regular price
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Jul 22, 2010
989 posts
183 upvotes
toronto
feversugar wrote: If you order for pickup there are no fees!
did you order via pickup? can't seem to find the option in-app anymore... has it been removed?
Mar 30, 2016
167 posts
130 upvotes
Scavos wrote: did you order via pickup? can't seem to find the option in-app anymore... has it been removed?
I did! Add something to your cart, go to view order, then "edit" delivery and select pick up at the top.
Apr 16, 2015
95 posts
292 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
b31770 wrote: So basically, you are cheap and familyless? Because, you know, the more mouths you feed, the bigger the bill!

Ordered $50 and got the promised discount, which even after the fees and tips, was still saved a few dollars.

I don't understand what people want any of the delivery services to charge. Say they're skimming 30% but you want them to drop to 10%? Say an average order is $27, so they would essentially get $2.70 from the restaurant, of course in addition to the $0-$1.99 fee they charge the consumer. So you want a delivery company to assume all the risks, build out infrastructure, and manage and handle all the drivers, incur credit card transaction fees, and fraud, for little to no profit?
You work for Uber or hold Uber shares?
Nov 22, 2012
968 posts
693 upvotes
VANCOUVER
fung604 wrote: You work for Uber or hold Uber shares?
No. But do you label everything a problem without having any realistic expectations?

Before skip and doordash and Uber Eats, there were limited delivery options, limited marketing exposure, and limited innovation.

If you think 15-30% is too much, which I also think 30% is too much, then you're free to innovate and create your own community delivery app that takes just 10% or less. But then you'll need to grapple with delivery drivers who are pushing for minimum wages, health insurance, and also benefits. At that point, you'll be burdening the customers with extra fees, when coupled with the delivery fee and tip, would tantamount to perhaps 50% of the bill. So the cut has to come somewhere to appease the customer, drivers, and the restaurant. What is your solution?

Don't come out with rainbows when someone is being realistic, come out with realistic solutions.
Oct 24, 2009
25 posts
27 upvotes
YVR
b31770 wrote: No. But do you label everything a problem without having any realistic expectations?

Before skip and doordash and Uber Eats, there were limited delivery options, limited marketing exposure, and limited innovation.

If you think 15-30% is too much, which I also think 30% is too much, then you're free to innovate and create your own community delivery app that takes just 10% or less. But then you'll need to grapple with delivery drivers who are pushing for minimum wages, health insurance, and also benefits. At that point, you'll be burdening the customers with extra fees, when coupled with the delivery fee and tip, would tantamount to perhaps 50% of the bill. So the cut has to come somewhere to appease the customer, drivers, and the restaurant. What is your solution?

Don't come out with rainbows when someone is being realistic, come out with realistic solutions.
The cut would need to be shared or simply by the restaurants themselves. Restaurants are getting more exposure being on there with free marketing yet restaurants are not required to pay any fees other than just 30% of the total bill (In Vancouver, could varied in different cities).
The infrastructure isn't setup correctly with these delivery company to begin with, the restaurant I know personally simply just raise their menu by 30% to compensate the fee.
If you look at Chinese delivery app Fantuan that is widely available in Canada, everything on there is the same price compares to the in-restaurant menu and pickup is always 10% off.
How can they do it?
Just a guy passing by...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
3354 posts
1135 upvotes
Ottawa
shylok wrote: They can, and are doing multiple, but uber eats has the most brand recognition. I now am trying to lookup stuff on uber eats and order on the other platform. Uber is charging restaurants 30% of their total.. For what.. Bs. When door dash and skip are half that or so. We need these businesses to survive, and food industry without dine in, and liquor sales is in a whole lot of hurt. I'm a foodie, I don't want good restaurants to fail.
I just checked a restaurant and yes, the price on ubereats is 30% higher than the dine-in restaurant price..... however, I checked skip and doordash and they were the same price as ubereats as well so there's still some shadiness from the restaurant side as well

anyways, we are going off topic. we can never satisfy everyone with the fees... have to think about the restaurant, the drivers, the customers, and the delivery company
doordash and skip got reamed out for skimping out on paying their drivers properly, in order to make it affordable for the restaurant. you can't win no matter what
Nov 22, 2012
968 posts
693 upvotes
VANCOUVER
hwang23 wrote: The cut would need to be shared or simply by the restaurants themselves. Restaurants are getting more exposure being on there with free marketing yet restaurants are not required to pay any fees other than just 30% of the total bill (In Vancouver, could varied in different cities).
The infrastructure isn't setup correctly with these delivery company to begin with, the restaurant I know personally simply just raise their menu by 30% to compensate the fee.
If you look at Chinese delivery app Fantuan that is widely available in Canada, everything on there is the same price compares to the in-restaurant menu and pickup is always 10% off.
How can they do it?
I empathize with the restaurants but the alternative would to not use the services and canabolize you're sales, hire drivers, additional staff to man phones, and spend more on marketing. There really is no happy medium.

The Mexican place and the ramen place I checked have the same prices on Uber. I think it really depends on the place but customers are free to research and make informed decisions.

What I don't get is how the restaurant association doesn't create an industry app. It's like the taxi industry just complaining but not innovating until it's too late.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
3520 posts
246 upvotes
Richmond
jaktor wrote: You ordered $400+ worth of food in one night ? You really know what you’re doing !
Food isn't the only thing on UberEats. Just saying...