• Oct 12th, 2021 8:35 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1972 upvotes

UberEats App new T&C?

About to place and order and a new T&C pop up came up.

Anyone read it? Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Last edited by TomRFD on Oct 10th, 2021 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
6874 posts
7298 upvotes
Vancouver
berrytree wrote: About to place and order and a new T&C pop up came up.

Anyone read it? Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Nobody reads pop-up T&Cs. They're designed by lawyers not to be read.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1972 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: Nobody reads pop-up T&Cs. They're designed by lawyers not to be read.
heh Agreed. I just thought it was odd how they made it front and center and needed explicit acknowledgement that we had read them.

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
6874 posts
7298 upvotes
Vancouver
berrytree wrote: heh Agreed. I just thought it was odd how they made it front and center and needed explicit acknowledgement that we had read them.
The explicit acknowledgement part is what's important to the lawyers, because they take the position that this means you are deemed to have understood and accepted all the T&Cs. However, the courts have often disagreed, particularly where the terms are deliberately lengthy and obscurely worded, and you have no choice but to agree on the spot to continue to use the service you need.

They all do this. For example Apple frequently asks you to agree to 37 pages of revised T&Cs when you want to install something from the app store. If the lawyers tried to push that, a judge would likely ask:

- Did you have a reasonable expectation that users would read those 37 pages carefully and ask questions about anything they didn't understand when they they were in the middle of downloading an app that they needed at that moment?

- Did you point out what was new and changed in the T&Cs prominently in plain language?

- Were you aware that users frequently skip these T&Cs without reading them, and did you make that possible because you knew that most people don't want to take the time to read them?

- Does your software take notice of the obvious fact that the user could not possibly have read and understood the T&Cs when the clicked "Agree" right away, or scrolled through the 37 pages in 5 seconds and then clicked "Agree"?

which usually results in explicit agreement to the T&Cs being found null and void.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1972 upvotes
Wow. Thanks @Scote64 ! Are you a lawyer?

Irrespective, respect and thanks - much appreciated!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
6874 posts
7298 upvotes
Vancouver
berrytree wrote: Wow. Thanks @Scote64 ! Are you a lawyer?
No, I just have to deal with all the advice from our lawyers and liability insurers on my company's software products and our own T&Cs. :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1972 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: No, I just have to deal with all the advice from our lawyers and liability insurers on my company's software products and our own T&Cs. :)
Thank you :)
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
19162 posts
5568 upvotes
Scarberia
if u go to the states, do u use the same ubereats app that u use here? or its the american version u gotta get thx
same with uber?
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)