• Jan 16th, 2023 10:08 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
2151 posts
222 upvotes

UberEats Insurance

Hi Folks,

For those who drive uber. When signing up to uber and providing your insurance to uber,
1. does uber check with insurance company for validity?
2. Can you get you insurance canceled if you don't tell insurance you've signed up for uber eats?

Cheers,
15 replies
May 3, 2003
644 posts
368 upvotes
Toronto
Your insurer can most likely cancel your insurance or simply reject any claim you made for your failure to report business usame of your vehicle (assuming you did not disclose it).
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13589 posts
2993 upvotes
Toronto
Lol good luck getting insurance ever again.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2578 posts
3922 upvotes
West
Uber doesn't contact the insurance company.

Your insurance can be void if you get into an accident while working. This may also result in cancellation.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9342 posts
1902 upvotes
Ontario
Uber maintains commercial auto insurance to help protect you in case of a covered accident while making a delivery on the Uber app. You need to also speak to your Broker and discuss
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Apr 8, 2020
749 posts
511 upvotes
Just wonder how much more $ if you tell the insurance that you UBER ?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
2151 posts
222 upvotes
Phonophoresis wrote: Uber doesn't contact the insurance company.

Your insurance can be void if you get into an accident while working. This may also result in cancellation.
Thanks, as long as there is no cancelation on signing up, I'm good.

Are you an uber eats delivery driver or passanger?
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
2304 posts
4352 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Uber's insurance has been known to not cover their driver's despite saying so, leaving them high and dry.

If you're Ubering passengers I would 100% tell insurance and get coverage. If you get into an accident with passengers + injuries, there is no way to spin that you were driving around stranger(s) without being a rideshare.

If doing UberEats, as long as the other party doesn't see your Skip bag in the passenger seat and you don't straight up tell your insurance that you were delivering food, you'll be fine as long as you say you were just driving to work, buying groceries, etc.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2578 posts
3922 upvotes
West
reggyDeal wrote: Thanks, as long as there is no cancelation on signing up, I'm good.

Used to deliver food for them every once in a while when I was going through school.
May 3, 2003
644 posts
368 upvotes
Toronto
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: If doing UberEats, as long as the other party doesn't see your Skip bag in the passenger seat and you don't straight up tell your insurance that you were delivering food, you'll be fine as long as you say you were just driving to work, buying groceries, etc.
I get where you are coming from but both parties to an insurance contract have a duty of good faith. Not disclosing your food delivery work is a clear breach. Following this advice, it appears to me, is knowing commission of fraud.

And engaging in riskier, undisclosed behaviour pushes your risk upon the insurance pool of relatively-honest people who do, in fact, use their personal vehicles only for personal purposes. Which is selfish/antisocial behaviour.

And if you do get caught (after all, all the insurance company needs to do is obtain the records from Uber or others via court order or otherwise), you then presumably will have a denied claim or voided policy on the basis of fraud or similar. Recall how your insurance company or broker asked you if you ever had a claim or policy terminated for misrepresentation etc etc when you first applied for your policy? Guess what happens when you answer "yes" to that question? Guess what happens when you falsely answer "no" but try to make a claim later?

You save some money by lying on your insurance by making innocent others partially pay for your undisclosed risky behaviour and, should things go south, you'll be paying for it for years to come. Hurt someone else while driving for your undisclosed business and suddenly you'll be paying for your own lawyer, maybe having someone put a charge on your house and selling it to satisfy a judgment against you, having your personal property seized and sold, having your pay garnished...

You save a few hundred and year by lying but expose yourself to a literal disaster if caught. And it's really not hard to catch giggers who lie.
Penalty Box
Dec 28, 2021
181 posts
223 upvotes
reggyDeal wrote: Thanks, as long as there is no cancelation on signing up, I'm good.

Just remember this is fraud.
You might get away with it for a while, but KARMA...you'll pay the price one way or the other.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
2304 posts
4352 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
eshum wrote: Tl;dr
I get what you're saying, but do you know -

How many people are doing side gigs without paying premiums?

How many people have their license address at a cousin's in London/Barrie to avoid paying Brampton/Vaughan insurance rates?

Say one of the 50 yr old parents is the primary driver of a car when in actuality the primary driver is an 18 year old with their G2?

Colluding with bodyshops for a cash kickback?

You say both parties should act in good faith, but what about insurance companies-

-Avoiding paying out any medical claims, long term disability, or physiotherapy?

-low balling write offs?

-Repairing badly damaged cars that will have 0 resale value, because it was slightly cheaper to fix than to write off?

-Refusing coverage in an accident because a car had some slight cosmetic modifications?

Is that in good faith?

You are delusional if you think with the amount of claims made daily, an insurance company will get a court order to Uber, Skip, Lyft and DoorDash, for the infinitesimal chance the claimant might be doing a side hustle. The world of honesty you're describing doesn't exist, especially not in the GTA insurance industry. That's why GTA insurance is the most expensive in the country, and it's not because of 1 party.

You're telling me you've never illegally downloaded a movie or music, and stolen the hard work and hours of time dedicated of the actors, musicians, directors, editors, involved in that production? You really that honest?
May 3, 2003
644 posts
368 upvotes
Toronto
You seem very passionate about this but do you know that insurance companies won't seek this information or just guessing?

I can tell you for a fact that they do and I have been involved in doing so.

This is a bigger and bigger problem in the insurance industry. Insurers are pretty alert to it.

And I really don't want to get into a moral debate. If you're an adult and you're cheating or stealing, you've chosen your line and we all cheat/steal so to some degree probably (but draw lines at different points). But this is not about you or I but the person we are both trying explain this issue to. If you are telling the OP not to worry about getting caught gigging, I am curious about your source of information to give that (imo very dangerous) advice. I am telling the OP based on experience: it's easy to demand those records from the OP and then deny the claim for a refusal to cooperate or obtain those records directly from the usual suspect gig cos.

But counselling fraud is just... Dangerous. Not for you but for anyone who follows that line.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3368 posts
986 upvotes
Vaughan
As a former uber driver. I didn’t do eats, just passengers. My insurance told me as long as I don’t do more than 20 hours a week, they won’t increase my rate. I only did it part time. So usually max 16 hours a week for me. Uber does have its own insurance coverage, but i’m not sure what’s covered under it.

Just tell your insurance company . See what they say.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9342 posts
1902 upvotes
Ontario
what insurance company allows you to do a part time taxi service(carrying passengers for compensation or hire) without any charge etc? I'm curious
phuviano wrote: As a former uber driver. I didn’t do eats, just passengers. My insurance told me as long as I don’t do more than 20 hours a week, they won’t increase my rate. I only did it part time. So usually max 16 hours a week for me. Uber does have its own insurance coverage, but i’m not sure what’s covered under it.

Just tell your insurance company . See what they say.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
2151 posts
222 upvotes
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: Uber's insurance has been known to not cover their driver's despite saying so, leaving them high and dry.

If you're Ubering passengers I would 100% tell insurance and get coverage. If you get into an accident with passengers + injuries, there is no way to spin that you were driving around stranger(s) without being a rideshare.

If doing UberEats, as long as the other party doesn't see your Skip bag in the passenger seat and you don't straight up tell your insurance that you were delivering food, you'll be fine as long as you say you were just driving to work, buying groceries, etc.
Yeah was wondering if the entire insurance would be void because I did not disclose I do drive Uber Eats occasionally. So if I'm in an accident heading to work, insurance would still cover my claim, even though I did not disclose anything to them about driving uberEats. Because at the time I was not doing uberEats. My understanding is that claims are situational? Hence, only time my policy would be void is if I'd be making a claim while doing ubering and not going to work or doing groceries, correct?

BTW, I've spoke to other uber drivers while in the city, and 90% of them do not tell anything to their insurance company. Because they say uber has their own insurance.

Wondering if one does multi-appling. I.e. Doordash, uberEats, insatacart. Do you have to disclose each app to the insurance company. Or is there a gigEconomy policy with ccovers them all?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)