4. Improved ZFS install support
5. Linux Kernel 5.4 (not 5.5)
6. No Python2 support - Only Python 3
7. New Wallpapers
8. 64-bit version only
9 NEW "Dark Theme" - very cool
10 plus more ...

https://ubuntu.com/

I just installed it and very impresses with the improved speed / smoothness. Has all the new video drivers supporting VULKAN ...
9 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1036 posts
663 upvotes
Canada
For a newbie with a old laptop (4 gig of ram) would you choose ubuntu or ubuntu mate ?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4464 posts
1378 upvotes
elgros4 wrote: For a newbie with a old laptop (4 gig of ram) would you choose ubuntu or ubuntu mate ?
I've Kubuntu and KDE Neon installed in 4GB VM's and used for work. Very nice. I prefer KDE over GNOME because it's closer to Windows look and feel.

I'll give the new Ubuntu a try (in a VM).
signature closed for renovation
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
4408 posts
839 upvotes
Newbury, ON
I had Ubuntu Mate - while I liked it.. it had sooo many little bugs with the GUI it drove me bonkers. switched over to gnome ubuntu and can't imagine using anything without a sidebar launcher again.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26425 posts
3447 upvotes
Montreal
rilles wrote: I had Ubuntu Mate - while I liked it.. it had sooo many little bugs with the GUI it drove me bonkers. switched over to gnome ubuntu and can't imagine using anything without a sidebar launcher again.
Mate is the buggiest implementation of Ubuntu from what I've seen. Stick to the main edition or kubuntu. If you like Mate, Linux Mint Mate is more polished IMHO.

I've been using KDE Neon for 3 years now and haven't looked back.

elgros4 wrote: For a newbie with a old laptop (4 gig of ram) would you choose ubuntu or ubuntu mate ?

What are your specs?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3733 posts
3252 upvotes
Markham
Xubuntu or Lubuntu are lightweight variants of Ubuntu worth trying via LiveUSB on old computers.

This is to ensure the old computer can boot up the OS of your choice and the OS works out of the box i.e. all hardware (speaker, mic, screen, webcam, wifi, bluetooth, keyboard etc) are compatible with the OS. You may use the OS for awhile to see if the OS is running adequately fast to be usable on the old computer.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
917 upvotes
Windsor
4GB of RAM is plenty for Ubuntu generally. The stock installation will make every thing you ever want to do have like 1000 tutorials on how to do it, which would be helpful for a newbie.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Jan 8, 2015
819 posts
514 upvotes
Does Ubuntu sport Windows 10 type telemetry?
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
228 posts
235 upvotes
Montreal
i love Ubuntu
I'm a customer at Public Mobile and VoIP.ms!
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
228 posts
235 upvotes
Montreal
Quickman wrote: Does Ubuntu sport Windows 10 type telemetry?
no, quite the contrary.

Ubuntu's is optional, one-time only at install (they are not spying on you as you use the computer like W10) and they show you exactly what would be sent so you can decide whether you are willing to send it.

They collect (according to OMG!Ubuntu):

Which version of Ubuntu you’re installing (including which flavour)
Whether you have network connectivity
Hardware stats, including CPU, RAM, GPU, etc
Your device vendor (e.g., Dell, Lenovo, etc)
Your country (based on the time zone you pick, not IP)
How long your install took to complete
Whether you have auto login enabled
Your disk layout (how many hard drives and partitions you have)
Whether you chose to install third party codecs
Whether you chose to download updates during install
They do NOT store your IP.

It's incredibly helpful for the whole Linux community to get accurate data about how people are using the software. It lets developers work more efficiently to benefit more users. I personally always opt into this, because it is not abusive and is not intrusive, unlike commercial OSes.
I'm a customer at Public Mobile and VoIP.ms!