When you start to understand, that's when you start losing money. :D
one more deal and I'm out * involuntary tick*.... :twisted:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
8528 posts
6347 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
TehRFDAnomaly wrote: When you start to understand, that's when you start losing money. :D
Not necessarily true. Stocks have been great in the last decade because most have been rising with very few insignificant dips in between.
Options are useful when the economy or certain industries or specific companies take on a nose dive, de-valued to a lower price, or simply experiencing fluctuations due to rumours etc.
Many people who are good at recognizing historical patterns do well in options as it requires looking into the future and speculate stock prices down the road.
Others use options as a form of hedging to, believe it or not, reduce risk. For example, you can buy a put option (derivative) on the same company or another company from the same industry you bought stocks in. This way if your stock unexpectedly tumbles, the put option can offset your loss.
I recognize that this may not be for everyone, but learning about it at least give you another choice especially when stock market is no longer performing as well as you desire.
Nov 10, 2013
321 posts
219 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
DragonRider wrote: ...as it requires looking into the future...
Good luck with that.
Who are the xxxx up-voting this thread...?
Last edited by gobseck on Feb 15th, 2020 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 26, 2018
798 posts
431 upvotes
Those who can't trade, teach.
I can't imagine learning option trading from a free course on Udemy will give people any edge in the market.
If people believe that maybe they should trade option in the first place.

But, thanks op for the RFD spirit of sharing.
Last edited by keshan on Feb 15th, 2020 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2578 posts
526 upvotes
Scarborough
Finally a udemy course I might actually use.

I'm typically a couch potato investor, but have always wanted to learn about puts and calls.
Jan 31, 2020
176 posts
297 upvotes
DragonRider wrote: Not necessarily true. Stocks have been great in the last decade because most have been rising with very few insignificant dips in between.
Options are useful when the economy or certain industries or specific companies take on a nose dive, de-valued to a lower price, or simply experiencing fluctuations due to rumours etc.
Many people who are good at recognizing historical patterns do well in options as it requires looking into the future and speculate stock prices down the road.
Others use options as a form of hedging to, believe it or not, reduce risk. For example, you can buy a put option (derivative) on the same company or another company from the same industry you bought stocks in. This way if your stock unexpectedly tumbles, the put option can offset your loss.
I recognize that this may not be for everyone, but learning about it at least give you another choice especially when stock market is no longer performing as well as you desire.
Well said. I have an ordinary 9-5 job that pays sh*t.

I have flourished financially due to stocks/options and prudent real estate investments.

If you really understand options trading and invest responsibily you can limit your capital investment while also limiting your risk exposure.

I am a regular Joe who's self-taught and not a professional by any means. One word of caution though- never bet the farm!
"I go for the jugular" - Kobe Bryant
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1099 posts
526 upvotes
Oakville
keshan wrote: Those who can't trade, teach.
I can't imagine learning option trading from a free course on Udemy will give people any edge in the market.

No one said it will give you an edge (no such thing as an edge when it comes to trading)? It is simply meant to teach you how options work, thereby giving investors more options for investing.
Dec 7, 2019
31 posts
85 upvotes
keshan wrote: Those who can't trade, teach.

Not sure what you're preaching about... these courses are teaching people HOW to trade, not WHAT to trade.

Sick of reading the same misquoted anti-teaching sentiment as well. The original quote is: "Those that know, do. Those that understand, teach."
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1395 posts
647 upvotes
Montreal
Nobeardroger wrote:
Sick of reading the same misquoted anti-teaching sentiment as well. The original quote is: "Those that know, do. Those that understand, teach."
The original quote is "He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches." George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman (1903)
Your quote is from Lee Shulman in 1951, in his explanation of Aristotlean views. Aristotle never said that.
IBM 701 | germanium diodes | 2000 multiplication or division operations per second | 2048 word memory on 72 tubes, 1024 bits per tube| 38-bit Accumulator | 36-bit Multiplier-Quotient | 2 IBM 726 magnetic tapes - 2x 2 million digit storage
Nov 19, 2012
400 posts
239 upvotes
TDotHacker wrote: Finally a udemy course I might actually use.

I'm typically a couch potato investor, but have always wanted to learn about puts and calls.
I second the couch potato. Nice steady returns over the past 10 years.