Computers & Electronics

UE BOOM 2 Speak Panther Holiday Edition (is there a difference?)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2017 3:35 pm
[OP]
Aug 22, 2011
11 posts
2 upvotes

UE BOOM 2 Speak Panther Holiday Edition (is there a difference?)

Hello, is there a difference between the UE BOOM 2 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker - Panther Holiday Edition and the other more expensive ones (apart from the color)?

I just bought this (on special at 113$):
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0768K ... UTF8&psc=1

and was just wondering if its one of those "built for black friday" products that lacks certain features - all the other colors are almost full price.

Thanks,
7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
1544 posts
784 upvotes
Cambridge
Nope, they're identical. This colour went on sale last year as well, but not this low.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2011
11 posts
2 upvotes
@orbitdesign Thanks for the info.. My wife always wanted one but there was no way i was paying 200$+ for it, so when i saw it i bought straight away and then afterwards got that feeling that it might be like those black friday TVs that look identical to the full price ones but are missing half of the features. Thanks again :)
Jan 19, 2011
900 posts
450 upvotes
Montreal
whittakeradam wrote: @orbitdesign Thanks for the info.. My wife always wanted one but there was no way i was paying 200$+ for it, so when i saw it i bought straight away and then afterwards got that feeling that it might be like those black friday TVs that look identical to the full price ones but are missing half of the features. Thanks again :)
I'm wondering, did you actually receive yours? I just bought one from Best Buy because the Amazon one still hasn't shipped.
Sep 20, 2006
108 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
The difference for the panther holiday edition are the following:

1) The colour scheme of the speaker
2) The packaging is not like the regular versions of the boom 2 speaker. Its cardboard and also for some reason the ser # on the outside packaging does not match the ser # of the actual unit itself.
3) No Power adapter included. Just a USB cable, but you can plug it into any phone power adapter and charge it
4) Reports of it not working with google now(havent fully confirmed it through)

Here's a video for it

Because of all this its cheaper than other colours

Hope this helps, people were getting burned because they though there was a power adapter in the packaging. UE clearly states on their site for the panther edition that it just comes with a USB cable.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2011
11 posts
2 upvotes
@molybdenum Yeh I got mine within the week after ordering it from amazon with standard shipping. They were also on special yesterday at bestbbuy for 120$
[OP]
Aug 22, 2011
11 posts
2 upvotes
desilla wrote: The difference for the panther holiday edition are the following:

2) The packaging is not like the regular versions of the boom 2 speaker. Its cardboard and also for some reason the ser # on the outside packaging does not match the ser # of the actual unit itself.
3) No Power adapter included. Just a USB cable, but you can plug it into any phone power adapter and charge it

Here's a video for it

Because of all this its cheaper than other colours

Hope this helps, people were getting burned because they though there was a power adapter in the packaging. UE clearly states on their site for the panther edition that it just comes with a USB cable.
I can confirm number 4 - not that i would have used it since you have to press the button for it to listen anyway.
Another one to add.. The carry case is also missing from this version. (the solid plastic cylinder thing)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
25218 posts
5471 upvotes
desilla wrote: The difference for the panther holiday edition are the following:

So in other words they just changed the colour and cheaped it out? LOL. How on earth #2 (different serial numbers!?!) happened, I don't know. I would hope that's an individual production error and not a "feature" of the product.

I dunno why ppl keep buying UE but I guess perhaps if you had another one you wanted to pair it with, it would make sense. Otherwise Flip 4 is a better speaker and costs less to begin with (though granted it doesn't have an adapter either). At the price of a Boom 2, you can have a superior Charge 3 right now, given it's on sale still for $130 at Best Lie.