Sports & Recreation

UFC 158: GSP vs. Diaz? - Saturday Mar. 16, 2013 - Discussion/Info./Poll/Predictions

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2013 10:23 pm
Tags:

Poll: UFC 158: Who will win the Welterweight Championship match?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.

Poll ended at Mar 16th, 2013 6:54 pm

[OP]
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD

UFC 158: GSP vs. Diaz? - Saturday Mar. 16, 2013 - Discussion/Info./Poll/Predictions

To whom it may concern: This thread was created to discuss the forthcoming UFC 158: St-Pierre vs. Diaz PPV Fight Card.

Similar to the first scheduled meeting between GSP & Diaz, this thread was cancelled merged back to the main UFC/MMA thread.

This second attempt to create a UFC 158 Thread now has the expressed written approval of RFD admin, oranr:
oranr wrote: You may create your [UFC 158 specific] thread and it ought not to be merged into the mega thread. We have started to discuss the topic but it is on our docket for this week's community meeting.

[IMG] http://i48.tinypic.com/xf3urm.jpg[/IMG]

Date: March 16, 2013
Venue: Bell Centre
City: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Time: 10pm ET/7pm PT (Main Card)
Viewing: PPV

(Card Subject to Change)

Main Card:
Welterweight Georges St-Pierre (c) vs. Nick Diaz
Welterweight Carlos Condit vs. Johny Hendricks
Welterweight Jake Ellenberger vs. Nate Marquardt
Middleweight Nick Ring vs. Chris Camozzi
Lightweight Mike Ricci vs. Colin Fletcher

Preliminary Card (FX):

Welterweight Patrick Côté vs. Bobby Voelker
Welterweight Rick Story vs. Quinn Mulhern
Featherweight Antonio Carvalho vs. Darren Elkins
Lightweight John Makdessi vs. Daron Cruickshank

Preliminary Card (Facebook):
Welterweight Dan Miller vs. Jordan Mein
Bantamweight Yves Jabouin vs. Johnny Eduardo
"I don't think conflict is a bad thing ... As long as you handle it as men." - John Tortorella

2013 RFD NHL Playoffs Pool CHAMPION #CONFIRMED
92 replies
[OP]
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
Found this "alternative" promo poster for the upcoming card:

[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/fp8i9j.png[/IMG]

In all seriousness, I think Dana White/UFC and co. will literally be crying if Diaz manages to upset GSP!

Tell me I'm wrong.
"I don't think conflict is a bad thing ... As long as you handle it as men." - John Tortorella

[OP]
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
UFC 158: St-Pierre vs Diaz Pre-Fight Conference Call (LIVE! / complete + unedited)

*Listener Discretion/Parental Advisory - Excessive Profanity from Nick Diaz*

(Props: mmaheat. Skip to 8:20 for the actual start of the call, in which Dana White announces to everyone that they’re still waiting on Nick Diaz, and Diaz — with perfect comedic timing — says “hello?” - Cagepotato.com)

For a text summary of notable quotes, refer to the following link below:

The 15 Greatest Quotes From the Now-Legendary GSP vs. Diaz Media Call

http://www.cagepotato.com/the-15-greate ... edia-call/

[OP]
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
UFC 158: St-Pierre vs Diaz Extended Video Preview

Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3634 posts
63 upvotes
I altered the title of the main thread to help keep these from getting merged again.

I'm calling for a Diaz submission, but logic says GSP will take him down and hold him as soon he gets in trouble.
[OP]
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
ElChico wrote: I altered the title of the main thread to help keep these from getting merged again.
muchas gracias.
I'm calling for a Diaz submission, but logic says GSP will take him down and hold him as soon he gets in trouble.
Well, to make it official, please submit your vote to the poll above, so it doesn't look as one sided as it currently stands ..... 100 percent for GSP vs. ZERO percent for Diaz.

Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
17020 posts
12421 upvotes
Toronto
there really isn't a need for a separate thread for each PPV IN MY OPINION.

And if you made this thread just for a poll....do you really think anyone will pick Diaz to win?
[OP]
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
MS MSP wrote: there really isn't a need for a separate thread for each PPV.
Yes there is a need for a separate thread for each PPV, in my opinion. So, if you have a problem with this thread's, raison d'être, you are of course, welcome to post your thoughts on this PPV and future UFC PPV in the existing "mega" UFC/MMA thread.

By the way, I have posted my opinion on why we need more "separate threads" in the following link:

merged-separate-sports-fitness-forums-i ... st16482849

You are of course, welcome to provide a rebuttal (which is read by the admin and mods of rfd) if you feel you can make valid points against having more threads in the soon to be separated Sports & Fitness Forum.

To you and any other posters, please direct any future discussion relating to "separate" or "merge" issue in the aforementioned "Sports & Fitness Separation" thread so we do not derail the focus of this thread.

Thank you.

p.s. There is already one person here who stated he thinks Diaz will (or maybe, more accurately to say wants to see) win:
ElChico wrote: I altered the title of the main thread to help keep these from getting merged again.

[OP]
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
Good summary of recent comments by the Trainers' of the Diaz and GSP respectively on their upcoming title fight:

UFC 158: Coaches Greg Jackson and Cesar Gracie weigh in on GSP vs Diaz
By Nate Wilcox on Mar 12 2013, 3:00p

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/3/12/40 ... sar-gracie

Cesar Gracie, Head Trainer for Nick Diaz:
Cesar Gracie was on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani yesterday and brought some insight to the bout:

"GSP is always comes in shape, he's probably most explosive athlete in mixed martial arts today, Gracie continued. "The guy is all about training. And then he's a black belt in jiu-jitsu, he's all about training, he's a champion. What can I say? That's why he's the champ. He's the best welterweight the UFC has ever had. So you have to come in phenomenal shape to be able to fight a guy like this, and that's what Nick is. That's why I'm so excited for this fight."

"I don't think he hates GSP," Gracie said. I think there's a lot of things that he doesn't appreciate about the image of GSP. And I think he tried to convey that on the call. I don't think he hates him at all on a personal level, he doesn't know him enough to hate him. Nick comes from the background with the mentalities of someone like a BJ Penn or someone like that, that martial arts is supposed to be like this, and you've got to be more technical, and you've got to know more. And the other guys are basically look, you're going to be stronger, you're gonna, I don't know, it's like fundamental philosophical differences of what he doesn't like about GSP."
Greg Jackson, Trainer (Strategist) for GSP:
Jackson was on Sherdog Radio and shared his insights about Diaz and GSP:

"Nick Diaz as a fighter, I really like him because he's one of those few fighters that can almost always make somebody play his game," Jackson said. "He does it in really smart ways. He'll back you up against the fence and basically have a shootout that he's probably going to win. If you take him down, you've got to deal with some really good ground skills. If you don't engage that, he throws his arms up. He starts trying to punk you. He tries to attack your manhood so that you get mad at him, so that you do start playing that game. He's really smart at what he does. He's very, very clever, but as long as you stay away from those things, as long as you control those elements, you have a good chance of winning. It's just dealing with that really, really smart pressure that he has that makes this fight interesting."

"Up to the fight, I'm sure [GSP] will be emotionally invested in it," Jackson said. "I wouldn't want to see Georges upset. I'll put it that way. He's a son of a gun even when he's calm and rational. ... I've worked with that guy for years, and if you got him really upset and he stays focused, that would be a very dangerous individual."

[OP]
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
nineiron wrote: looks like no one gives a ****
I beg to differ ... UFC 158 will be the biggest PPV of the year in terms of faninterest and buyrates. The only PPV I can think of that would exceed it would be a main event featuring a "Superfight" involving two of the three: The Spider vs. GSP or JBJ.

[OP]
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
As you can see from the title of this thread: UFC 158: GSP vs. Diaz? - Saturday Mar. 16, 2013 - Discussion/Info./Poll/Predictions

One of activities the core forum posters of the main UFC/MMA thread was that some of them made fight predictions. Having a single thread makes it easier and more accessible (in theory) to have more people participate in the prediction "contest."

In other forums, like hfboard's mma forum, their regular mma forum posters for every UFC event make fight predictions and their records are kept and a separate thread is created to see who the fight predictor leader is and how each poster compares to others when it comes to predictions. Obviously, the level of interest here isn't comparable to their forum, so in an attempt to fomalize the process here, I propose there be a system where the MAJOR UFC PPVs and UFC on Fox cards are part of an on-going "contest." Only the MAIN CARD of the event will be counted (but you can make any other predictions on the undercard if you wish).

Here is how I envision it working. As you can see in the first post of this thread:

You see:

[QUOTE]UFC 158 Main Card:

Welterweight Georges St-Pierre (c) vs. Nick Diaz
Welterweight Carlos Condit vs. Johny Hendricks
Welterweight Jake Ellenberger vs. Nate Marquardt
Middleweight Nick Ring vs. Chris Camozzi
Lightweight Mike Ricci vs. Colin Fletcher [/QUOTE]

Basically, you would cut and paste the above and post here, and then bold the fighter's name who you think will win. As a second component, you can gain an additional point by predicting the method of victory. In other words, a win by Judges' Decision, Strikes (TKO/KO), Submission, or via Disqualification.

So for UFC 158, up to 10 points can be awarded. Repeat with the next MAJOR UFC PPV or UFC on Fox card. We'll have a running table of who the leaders are and after a poster has competed in five events and is the sole leader, he becomes the "Undisputed RFD Champion of UFC Fight Predictions." I mean come on, besides having a 100+ perfect ebay feedback record, is there anything that would bring you more street cred on a forum devoted to finding bargains/discounts in Canada?

Obviously, there are some fine print issues and rules that will have to be made. Like results announced at the end of Fight Night are final and are used to determine the "prediction contest." In other words, hypothetically, if GSP wins against Diaz and is later found to be caught using PEDs etc.. or vice versa and the results are overturned at a later date by the sanctioning body to a "No Contest", there is no back tracking and officially for the purposes for this "prediction contest", GSP was the winner and vice versa.

Is there any interest in this? If not, I will go solo and make my predictions and follow the rules above ... and by default as the only participant, proudly and unilaterally declare myself the "Undisputed RFD Champion of UFC Fight Predictions" as this thing becomes a one shot deal before being cancelled even if I get all my predictions wrong! :razz:

Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2007
2233 posts
42 upvotes
I really really really hope Diaz wins
but I think GSP will win
i voted for Diaz on the poll because i hate GSP
GSP isn't bad really, its just his obnoxious fans that I hate
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23367 posts
4826 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I like GSP far more but I hope Diaz wins this one. Would be nice to shake up the devision a little.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
1484 posts
380 upvotes
No question that GSP will win IMO! My gut tells me that it's going to go all 5 rounds, but it will be a unanimous decision for GSP. Diaz is a street fighter. GSP is truly the definition of an MMA fighter.. he's going to pick him apart slowly and surely throughout the 5 rounds.

That said, I freaking wish GSP would do to Diaz what he did to Sierra... and just knee that punk in the ribs until he breaks 3-4 of them and he is forced to tap out =) "all I want for christmas...." hahaha
[OP]
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
daikman wrote: No question that GSP will win IMO! My gut tells me that it's going to go all 5 rounds, but it will be a unanimous decision for GSP. Diaz is a street fighter. GSP is truly the definition of an MMA fighter.. he's going to pick him apart slowly and surely throughout the 5 rounds.

That said, I freaking wish GSP would do to Diaz what he did to Sierra... and just knee that punk in the ribs until he breaks 3-4 of them and he is forced to tap out =) "all I want for christmas...." hahaha
IMO, the best case scenario for GSP and his millions of "fans" would be to submit Diaz via armbar! :razz:

I think Diaz' best chance of winning would be via submission. I don't think he could win if it goes the full 5 rounds because as you've noted GSP is the king of decision victories.

Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
2616 posts
1216 upvotes
I hate to say it but a prognosticator that I follow & has an 18-1-1 record in his past 20 locks has picked Diaz as his lock @ +400. He's made some sick picks That have seemed insane at the time & these have made those that follow him a boatload of money. I just can't go against his picks.
If you can't find anyone else to blame :( .....You're just not looking hard enough. :lol:
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
17020 posts
12421 upvotes
Toronto
VCR wrote: Yes there is a need for a separate thread for each PPV, in my opinion. So, if you have a problem with this thread's, raison d'être, you are of course, welcome to post your thoughts on this PPV and future UFC PPV in the existing "mega" UFC/MMA thread.

By the way, I have posted my opinion on why we need more "separate threads" in the following link:

merged-separate-sports-fitness-forums-i ... st16482849

You are of course, welcome to provide a rebuttal (which is read by the admin and mods of rfd) if you feel you can make valid points against having more threads in the soon to be separated Sports & Fitness Forum.

To you and any other posters, please direct any future discussion relating to "separate" or "merge" issue in the aforementioned "Sports & Fitness Separation" thread so we do not derail the focus of this thread.

Thank you.

p.s. There is already one person here who stated he thinks Diaz will (or maybe, more accurately to say wants to see) win:

I'll add my 10 cents.

I for one hate multiple threads on the same topic.

What's going to happen to VCR's UFC 158 thread next week once the fight and discussion is over...will it go to "expired"?

Will it be locked?

You know it will likely go dormant until somebody searches "GSP" and bumps it from the dead months/years from now.

By then, we will be at UFC 200 and there will be many more threads with "GSP" in the title (just an example).

If there is one thread for "NFL", "Cycling" one for "EPL Gossip", one for "Leafs" etc....why should the UFC have more than 1 thread...not to mention a new thread for every PPV?

And I'm saying this as a UFC & GSP fan by the way.

Should there be a separate thread for verey hockey game? How about every playoff series?

Crazy right? So then why a separate thread for each UFC PPV?

That's my $0.10

EDIT:

Case in point, the GSP/Diaz fight is now being discussed in 2 separate forums.....so why bother with VCR's separate thread in the first place?
[OP]
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
MS MSP wrote: I'll add my 10 cents.

I for one hate multiple threads on the same topic.

What's going to happen to VCR's UFC 158 thread next week once the fight and discussion is over...will it go to "expired"?

Will it be locked?

You know it will likely go dormant until somebody searches "GSP" and bumps it from the dead months/years from now.

By then, we will be at UFC 200 and there will be many more threads with "GSP" in the title (just an example).

If there is one thread for "NFL", "Cycling" one for "EPL Gossip", one for "Leafs" etc....why should the UFC have more than 1 thread...not to mention a new thread for every PPV?

And I'm saying this as a UFC & GSP fan by the way.

Should there be a separate thread for verey hockey game? How about every playoff series?

Crazy right? So then why a separate thread for each UFC PPV?

That's my $0.10

EDIT:

Case in point, the GSP/Diaz fight is now being discussed in 2 separate forums.....so why bother with VCR's separate thread in the first place?
1) re: your EDIT "Case in Point": I've noticed YOU also cross-posted your response to the specific thread in the "Comments & Suggestion" forum where I've pointed out to you in my post you quoted. In my opinion, any reasonable poster here would have just posted it there in the *first place* as the RFD Admin & Mods regularly read rfd forum user comments & suggestions and take them into consideration before making decisions that affect the usability of these forums.

2) In all honesty, I think you are severely overvaluing the value of your post. In other words, I was NOT impressed with the opinions you submitted here and I look forward to providing a response to them in the "Comments & Suggestion" forum. More specfically the thread linked in an earlier post of mines.

As the OP of this thread, I feel obligated to protect the integrity of it. Therefore any future posts here made not primarly related to the purpose of this thread and focus on other matters like "Board Politics" will be reported as it would constitute in my opinion, a distruptive attempt to try to derail what should be the true focus of discussion of this thread, which, of course, is the upcoming UFC 158 event.

Thank you for your cooperation.