Expired Hot Deals

[Ufile.ca] UFile 2019 (PC Personal Tax Software) $19 for 4 returns, $26 for 12 returns,

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2020 10:09 pm
Aug 30, 2015
671 posts
355 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Jonick wrote: how is ufile compared to simpletax.ca? been using simpletax and it's amazing, and their fees is on a "pay what you want" basis, have been always paying them a "fair" fee.
wealthsimple recently acquired simpletax, I hope it continues with this model, their site is great
Jun 9, 2017
532 posts
295 upvotes
I don't see option to enter promotion code. Is there any new code ?
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1423 posts
1043 upvotes
Toronto
Might be worth getting the 12 return version for 25.99 instead of the 4 return version for 18.99 since you only get telephone support with the 12 return version. You get email support only with the 4 return version.

Last year I paid 24.99 for the 12 return version in their Black Friday sale, so it's only gone up 1.00 .
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19479 posts
7611 upvotes
Toronto
Price went up $1 compared to last year. Still a good deal when shared.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $5/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
1170 posts
142 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
anyone have an idea how this compares to GenuTax? it's free and I used it to file/revise back taxes for 10 years, i think the software lets you file 15 or 20 returns for each year
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
4601 posts
6824 upvotes
Montreal
flaming homer wrote: (...) Please refrain from advocating free tax software that does the same or better job - for past Ufile users it's not our first rodeo(...)

I don't mean to irritate you but could you explain why advocate a pay solution when indeed there are "free tax software that does the same or better job" easily like Studio Tax with long RFD threads?

Is it because many started with UFile years ago and are now trapped (locked) with that product?
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
2998 posts
1501 upvotes
GTA
Temporel wrote: I don't mean to irritate you but could you explain why advocate a pay solution when indeed there are "free tax software that does the same or better job" easily like Studio Tax with long RFD threads?

Is it because many started with UFile years ago and are now trapped (locked) with that product?
No, it's because this is a DEALS thread and not a discussion thread - you are welcomed to discuss this whenever someone asks about tax software options
And no one likes to be talked down to by shareware users - we Ufile users seen this over the years

Nice dig about being trapped... could say the same about "not really free" StudioTax users ?
Last edited by flaming homer on Nov 28th, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 21, 2019
3 posts
18 upvotes
There's a difference between people advocating for free software ("Just use WhateverTax instead, it's dumb to pay") and genuinely asking if there's a reason someone should take advantage of this deal instead of using an alternative ("What will buying this deal get me I'm not currently getting? Should I be buying this?").

I see a lot more of the second in here, and genuinely have no idea of the benefits of UFile.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2004
1188 posts
547 upvotes
Temporel wrote: I don't mean to irritate you but could you explain why advocate a pay solution when indeed there are "free tax software that does the same or better job" easily like Studio Tax with long RFD threads?

He is not advocating anything, he is offering a deal. If you have any criticism about the product itself (i.e. it does not generate good refunds, it keeps your data in the cloud of whatever), that would be fair game for this thread as this would be pertinent to the deal and would impact someone's decision to buy or not buy the product. OP specified in his post that everyone is aware of free options. The best analogy I can come up with would be say a Malwarebytes deal and someone replying "Why don't you use Windows Defender, it's free?".

Similarly, I see often Rakuten/Ebates deals and I do not comment on them because I personally believe they are not "deals" since you are giving away your personal information to get rebates.
Last edited by klown on Nov 28th, 2019 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2004
1188 posts
547 upvotes
IronSean wrote: There's a difference between people advocating for free software ("Just use WhateverTax instead, it's dumb to pay") and genuinely asking if there's a reason someone should take advantage of this deal instead of using an alternative ("What will buying this deal get me I'm not currently getting? Should I be buying this?").

I see a lot more of the second in here, and genuinely have no idea of the benefits of UFile.
This thread is basically for Ufile users who will likely keep on using using that software until they pass on to hopefully a better world. Once you start using a tax software, you are generally not interested in switching as you already know how it works, every year with Ufile I submit everything in under an hour and know how much cash I am getting back. A quick google search yields the following guide which seems at first glance quite complete:

https://youngandthrifty.ca/best-tax-ret ... nada-2019/
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
4601 posts
6824 upvotes
Montreal
IronSean wrote: There's a difference between people advocating for free software ("Just use WhateverTax instead, it's dumb to pay") and genuinely asking if there's a reason someone should take advantage of this deal instead of using an alternative ("What will buying this deal get me I'm not currently getting? Should I be buying this?"). I see a lot more of the second in here, and genuinely have no idea of the benefits of UFile.

That's exactly what I meant.
What are the "reason(s) someone should take advantage of this deal instead of using an alternative".
"What will buying this deal get me I'm not currently getting? Should I be buying this?"
Like I said, I used StudioTax (free) for 4 years in a row and loved the simplicity.
So I genuinely don't know and ask why should I look at a pay solution like UFile?

OP says that "DEALS thread and not a discussion thread".
I beg to differ. Discussing a deal is the essence of a Hot deals forum.
If not, let's close this Website and only look at merchants flyers.
It's a Hot deal because... It's a bad deal because... Here's a better deal...

"And no one likes to be talked down to by shareware users - we Ufile users seen this over the years"
Boy, someone's feathers have been ruffled.
Did you feel I talked down to you because I asked "why advocate a pay solution"?
If so, I apologize and assure you it was not my intention.

"Nice dig about being trapped"
Again, you are suggesting a disingenuous intention.
That's not a "dig". I wondered if it has to do with some sort of proprietary data format that cannot be exported to another supplier.

Gee!
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
2998 posts
1501 upvotes
GTA
Sure, in my personal opinion I would not:
1. Upload my financial information to a third party (SimpleTax, UFile online) - sites get hacked all the time
2. Use shareware for something like this. I suppose if I only own a Mac then StudioTax makes sense, otherwise other than stiffing the developers, how's StudioTax a better choice ?

Again, this is HOT DEALS not FINANCIAL DISCUSSION, start a thread there and I'll gladly link it in the first post so fellow consumers can make a informed choice

The number ONE advantage I've ever heard about StudioTax and SimpleTax is..... IT'S FREE

As for portability, I couldn't tell you, there isn't much to carry forward - your capital gain, etc are all on a "Schedule" form somewhere, all you have to do is enter it again at the next software and since details has already been provided in the past it's just a number box. I'm pretty good at typing in my own name, address, SIN, etc

I'm not trying to convince you shareware users to convert, I'm proving an update to the price of a product that people are looking to buy yearly - just like I just blew $120 on Canadian Tire Roadside Assistance, it's a yearly purchase around this time of the year for me

Say, why don't you start a new HOT DEALS thread about StudioTax or SImpleTax, surely you'll earn converts there
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
4601 posts
6824 upvotes
Montreal
flaming homer wrote: Sure, in my personal opinion I would not:
1. Upload my financial information to a third party (SimpleTax, UFile online) - sites get hacked all the time
2. Use shareware for something like this. I suppose if I only own a Mac then StudioTax makes sense, otherwise other than stiffing the developers, how's StudioTax a better choice ?

Again, this is HOT DEALS not FINANCIAL DISCUSSION, start a thread there and I'll gladly link it in the first post so fellow consumers can make a informed choice (...) I'm not trying to convince you shareware users to convert, (...) Say, why don't you start a new HOT DEALS thread about StudioTax or SImpleTax, surely you'll earn converts there

"I would not use shareware for something like this."
Why? What's wrong with shareware?

"how's StudioTax a better choice ?"
Nobody is saying StudioTax is a better choice.
The question was (and still is): why use UFile?

"Again, this is HOT DEALS not FINANCIAL DISCUSSION"
Nobody is discussing their finances here.

"surely you'll earn converts"
I'm not trying to win any converts.

What is wrong with you? You act like a bully! Are you? If so I'll move on...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
2998 posts
1501 upvotes
GTA
Temporel wrote: What is wrong with you? You act like a bully! Are you? If so I'll move on...
Stick around for UFile 2020, we'll have the same discussion again - RemindMe! 365 days