Expired Hot Deals

[Ufile.ca] UFile 2019 (PC Personal Tax Software) $19 for 4 returns, $26 for 12 returns,

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2020 4:30 pm
Jan 1, 2014
25 posts
19 upvotes
TORONTO
Thanks , OP for this timely reminder. The promo code does not work for me.
I have used the online version for many years now. I am willing to pay for it because I am a senior and it offers
valuable optimizing ability on my choice of income splits, and other such elections.
And shows useful tables of marginal tax rates and so on. The online version is quick to use
and is always up to date with the CRA and tax complications.
It's worth the small amount of money.
Feb 7, 2017
278 posts
120 upvotes
Wow, this thread always turns into argument as to why users are using the free tax software?

I value my personal information, so I pay for my tax software so that the company is liable. In Canadian law, you cannot sue if there is no consideration. For example, don't you wonder why in movies lawyers get paid $1 for giving advice even if it is really free? The $1 makes him/her accountable under the law because it is consideration.

I guess you can read the fine print to the free software to see if these freeware companies are liable.

Everyone has their own reasons for paying. This is RFD, but I would still rather pay less.
Aug 8, 2019
339 posts
191 upvotes
I have used both Ufile and StudioTax before.
Functionality wise, both can do the same for my situation (Single, Simple T4 slips, some T3 and T5).
It is very easy to switch from one to another.
The majority is done using the auto fill feature.
The UFile UI is more intuitive IMO, and their built in help files are useful, though I still end up googling the terms I don't understand to confirm accuracy.
In StudioTax, the UI is less intuitive, and there isn't much built in help.

That said I still plan to go with StudioTax to support free software.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
3524 posts
4522 upvotes
Montreal
Finally, some sensible answers.
Thanks to the last 3 posters.
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19242 posts
7336 upvotes
Toronto
Temporel wrote: I don't mean to irritate you but could you explain why advocate a pay solution when indeed there are "free tax software that does the same or better job" easily like Studio Tax with long RFD threads?

Is it because many started with UFile years ago and are now trapped (locked) with that product?
I don't get why people use the so called free tax software to compare against price of a paid solution. I have always done my parents taxes using studio tax. I give them $5 per return because nothing is truly free in this world. If nobody contributed, they would cease operation for sure. This option is not much different on a per return basis.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $10/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3466 posts
2980 upvotes
The NORTH
And I'm over here waiting for TurboTax 2019 to come out so I can do some end of year tax planning...
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
3648 posts
3922 upvotes
Vancouver
flaming homer wrote: Actually it's not really "donate if you want"
https://simpletax.ca/faq
Can I use SimpleTax for free?

Yes. There are no income limits or restrictions.
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
3648 posts
3922 upvotes
Vancouver
Temporel wrote: "how's StudioTax a better choice ?"
Nobody is saying StudioTax is a better choice.
The question was (and still is): why use UFile?
Used UFile, Simpletax and Studiotax. All do the same job in different interfaces.

Don't use Simpletax anymore cuz I'd never put all that info on ANYONE's website. If CRA or my bank leaks my info - well, I can't really help it. But I can do my best to lessen my online footprint by doing tax return on my comp.

That leaves me with UFile and StudioTax.

Not using UFile anymore because I feel as I am overpaying it, no matter the discount. I do 2 returns only, and $10 I'm donating to "free" StudioTax is-per item- MORE than you paying for UFile and using 4 or 8 returns. Simple math.

That leaves me with StudioTax. You download that software and do all on your comp. Priceless. Once initial pain of cca 10-15 minutes work to manually re-enter my data passed I never looked back to UFile. And why would I? They do the same job in a very similar interface.

And, full disclosure, before switching I had a beef with UFile - their so called "Support" didn't bother to reply to my - 3 times re-sent - email with quite ordinary question about some specific use of their software. That much about "paid and with support".
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
Dec 3, 2018
221 posts
130 upvotes
flaming homer wrote: Looks to be similar price to past years - PC Windows based (which incidentally is
Please refrain from advocating free tax software that does the same or better job - for past Ufile users it's not our first rodeo

That's funny. Why not tell alternative to the people? I used SimpleTax and I found it best in class. Folks, try simple tax before paying. ✌🏻
Sep 5, 2005
504 posts
1194 upvotes
Victoria
uahmed wrote: Code worked for me when purchasing Online version. Thanks ndompierre!!
Which online version did you purchase? I tried with the Individual Return (regular & premium) and it did not work for me.
Aug 1, 2006
857 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
tofinoguy wrote: Which online version did you purchase? I tried with the Individual Return (regular & premium) and it did not work for me.
Online version is more expensive overall since it's not for multiple returns.

I find Ufile optimizes my deductions better amongst my family members and myself than the other programs ( never tried Turbotax ), maybe because I hate doing taxes and don't want to spend more than 1 hr doing the family's returns.
Mar 3, 2008
431 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
Bull Dog wrote: Online version is more expensive overall since it's not for multiple returns.

I find Ufile optimizes my deductions better amongst my family members and myself than the other programs ( never tried Turbotax ), maybe because I hate doing taxes and don't want to spend more than 1 hr doing the family's returns.
It is more expensive than the discs, but not by much. I've been using for 9 years, tried others and no reason to switch.
Dec 4, 2008
165 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone here use Tax Freeway? I've used it for the last few years and it seemed pretty straightforward for me, and it does 20 returns for $10.
Aug 1, 2006
857 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
Dabeed wrote: Does anyone here use Tax Freeway? I've used it for the last few years and it seemed pretty straightforward for me, and it does 20 returns for $10.
I tried it one year, didn't like it, and didn't use it to file so I didn't have to pay. If you're happy with Tax Freeway you should try Studio Tax for free.