[Ufile.ca] UFile for Windows 2022: $21.99 / 4 returns, $29.99 / 12 returns

Deal Link:
Expiry:
February 23, 2023
Retailer:
Ufile.ca
More offers from Ufile.ca
Previous thread
I've just got personal UFile ad in-mail post card (there is always room for a first time thing).

Same deal as on Black Friday. Still no way to enter voucher during checkout. So no point of asking about them Smiling Face With Open Mouth
$21.99 / 4 returns
$29.99 / 12 returns

Not the great price, but seems this year they aren't backing up any lower...

Also 4 return version is available at other retailers:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/uf ... s/16578254
https://www.staples.ca/products/3044508 ... 3841000619

Update: Important to note that for both versions (4 / 12 returns) one license of UFile could only be install on 2(TWO) PC max.
Update 2: The trick to change province form last year still works. They didn't fix their checkout page. Change the province to AB / Alberta if you're from higher tax rate province to save some PST.
Shout-out to @theflyingsquirrel. I found the comment in the thread from last year: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ufile-c ... #p35316199

Ufile_2022.jpg
Last edited by Greebo on Feb 21st, 2023 1:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
34 replies
Dec 4, 2017
415 posts
515 upvotes
Whitby
This one or TurboTax?
Is it the best tool for dummies trying to create their one tax returns for the first time?
Sep 26, 2013
185 posts
124 upvotes
Winnipeg
MrMello wrote: This one or TurboTax?
Is it the best tool for dummies trying to create their one tax returns for the first time?
I've used both and did prefer TurboTax. That was several years ago now though. I keep using UFile for the carryover data and familiarity now. Both are quite similar and you'd be ok with either. There are lots of other options to look into as well like Wealthsimple Tax (SimpleTax).
[OP]
Sep 8, 2021
101 posts
113 upvotes
MTL
There is always a first time for everything. Scary - yes, but it's not hard at all. I don't think there is a tax situation that tax software can't handle it, at least I never run into one. I did my returns with software like this for last 8 years. I've been using TurboTax before. There is a nasty bag for QC returns, that TurboTax just can't fix for years. Also the app randomly crashed for no reason. I got fed up and changed to UFile last year.

The main difference between the two: TurboTax has different packages with options for different situations, when is UFile has all options in any package, just the number of returns is different.

You will for sure have people in this thread who will point you for a free alternative. They will say somethin like: "Why do you guys keep paying for it? HAHA".
IMHO it's peace of mind for me to pay fixed price and have confidentiality in my personal data that stays on my machine rather that in cloud account. The free software needs to have some return for the devs, otherwise what's the reason to keep developing it?
Last edited by Greebo on Feb 15th, 2023 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2833 posts
1227 upvotes
Quebec
I bought mine 1 week before te deal

Sucks to be me
Mar 6, 2008
871 posts
357 upvotes
Kelowna
What's a link for free tax stuff? I see it every year just after I buy something
May 26, 2020
69 posts
239 upvotes
Greebo wrote: You will for sure have people in this thread who will point you for a free alternative. They will say somethin like: "Why do you guys keep paying for it? HAHA".
IMHO it's peace of mind for me to pay fixed price and have confidentiality in my personal data that stays on my machine rather that in cloud account. The free software needs to have some return for the devs, otherwise what's the reason to keep developing it?
Yes, this is a legitimate concern, though it should be noted that desktop tax return software may also be phoning home with your personal information. The only way to ensure it does not would be to only use it on a dedicated airgapped machine, and exporting the completed return to NETFILE on a separate, connected machine, or doing a paper return. Or, safest option: skip the software entirely and do an old-school paper return instead.
Jul 28, 2010
704 posts
911 upvotes
Montreal
Is there a group buy for 12 returns?
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
2001 posts
3796 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
I got the mail-out as well, but the last couple years, I've found that just going to Walmart is the way to go. Although there's no physical media anymore (it's a digital download), the physical box has the activation code, plus a code for the online family version as a freebie (which you can sell or gift to someone), all for $21.98+taxes. Plus at the Walmart Super Centre, I use a credit card with a grocery accelerator for 5% cashback. Looks like plenty of stock at pretty much all Walmart locations now.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
19472 posts
8229 upvotes
Toronto
MrMello wrote: This one or TurboTax?
Even as an accountant myself, I prefer uFile - Turbo tax just spends most of the time trying to upsell you to more expensive versions of the software or makes you do things manually.

Ufile is very simple and easy to use in general.
Realtor - Investment Properties
Dec 21, 2012
504 posts
814 upvotes
Winnipeg
I use Studio Tax and have for years. It's $15 now but it's a download that stays on your machine and you can also register it on 2 computers. I do mine at my house and my son does his at his house, so it's well worth the $15 so I don't have to take my computer over there to do his. It also carries forward last years return and I've never had a problem with it.
Feb 7, 2017
679 posts
379 upvotes
Long-time Ufile Windows buyer here. I just buy 12-returns one for multiple families. I have been using it for many years now. I started off with Studio Tax and then later moved to Ufile. RFDers keep asking why don't I use StudioTax? After buying for many family members, it is just a few dollars a person.

It was same price in Dec 2022. I guess they extended it to Feb 2023. They always have some sort of sale more than once a year. Too bad last year's $5 coupon no longer works.

Last year's Ufile 2021 gave me problems with downloading from CRA using a certain bank. It had glitches. Tried contact support to fix. In the end, I had to get around it with a workaround.
Last edited by Siward44 on Feb 15th, 2023 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 4, 2017
415 posts
515 upvotes
Whitby
deal_with_singh wrote: Even as an accountant myself, I prefer uFile - Turbo tax just spends most of the time trying to upsell you to more expensive versions of the software or makes you do things manually.

Ufile is very simple and easy to use in general.
Thanks.
It's actually my second time trying it by myself. Do you know if I can export/carry the last year tax return from TurboTax to UFile?
[OP]
Sep 8, 2021
101 posts
113 upvotes
MTL
MrMello wrote: Thanks.
It's actually my second time trying it by myself. Do you know if I can export/carry the last year tax return from TurboTax to UFile?
I know for sure that UFile 2021 carry forward only from itself. They used to have carry forward from TurboTax, but last version w/ the option was UFile 2020 or year before.
klamyo wrote: Is there a group buy for 12 returns?
Important to note that for both versions (4 / 12 returns) one license could only be install on 2(TWO) PC max.

While writing it I found a fat plus for those RFDers, who want to do a group buy: TurboTax may be installed on up to three PCs.
From TurboTax website: "Note: Any TurboTax product and accompanying licence code can only be installed on up to three computers or devices (or one computer/device for TurboTax Business Incorporated users)."
Last edited by Greebo on Feb 15th, 2023 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Feb 27, 2007
625 posts
272 upvotes
Montreal
Greebo wrote:
. . . . Important to note that for both versions (4 / 12 returns) one license could only be install on 2(TWO) PC max.
I share UFile12 with just one family, but there are minimum 3 of us(data entry) on 3 different computers. Last year, I asked friend to only install on one computer in his family(2 of them sharing 1 computer), I only install on one computer. Actually, I'm working from 3 different computers at home, using different one at different time. Can u tell me what would happend if we install UFile on more than 2 computers? Thanks in advance!
Nov 26, 2015
149 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Im using turbotax in the past. I am wondering how easy to switch to different software? For example Is there anything need to carry from turbotax to a different software?
[OP]
Sep 8, 2021
101 posts
113 upvotes
MTL
MontrealPost wrote:
I share UFile12 with just one family, but there are minimum 3 of us(data entry) on 3 different computers. Last year, I asked friend to only install on one computer in his family(2 of them sharing 1 computer), I only install on one computer. Actually, I'm working from 3 different computers at home, using different one at different time. Can u tell me what would happend if we install UFile on more than 2 computers? Thanks in advance!
Let me rephrase "install on two PCs": one licence can be activated on two different computers. I would imagine that third activation should fail. I have used previous year UFile one two PCs: one for me, second for a fried.
Even though I know that the licence was used twice, actually licence count in the program completely unaware of other PC use.
UFile_counter.jpg
babykings wrote: Im using turbotax in the past. I am wondering how easy to switch to different software? For example Is there anything need to carry from turbotax to a different software?
I switched from TurboTax to UFile last year. I had to start from scratch the introduction section - 5 min extra work. Not a big deal. The important is that TurboTax & UFile can both download your T forms from CRA or other province revenue agencies.
Apr 20, 2006
55 posts
20 upvotes
Cambridge
Anyone have a good recommendation for a macOS tax app, or a web based one where they make strong assurances about not monetizing your tax return data? Last year I looked all of the Mac apps had horrid user interfaces and we ended up sticking with UFile.

I wish a company would pick up the idea behind the original SimpleTax; a great UX with strong encryption.