Apr 16, 2002
21604 posts
24545 upvotes
Toronto

Toronto - free parking for UHN front-line workers

Deal Link:
Retailer:
UHN
Parking will be free for front-line workers at the University Health Network for at least the next month, says UHN CEO and president Kevin Smith.

The announcement was made on Tuesday during a “virtual open-forum” for the hospital network’s staff live-streamed on YouTube.

“A number of our very generous donors and our board leaders have made donations to ensure that parking will be without cost for the next month to our front line workers and I’m so pleased and thankful for that,” said Smith during the live-stream. “I know that’s something you’ve wanted, and I’m happy to share we’ll be moving to that model.”

The rate for parking for front-line staff was $127 for a 10-day parking pass. UHN initially planned to lower the cost to $100 per pass before deciding to make it free entirely.
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
39 replies
Jun 27, 2012
851 posts
1624 upvotes
Hot deal for the one UHN employee who will see this.
2010-2020 Contest Winnings = $0
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1841 posts
1019 upvotes
Cartman86 wrote: All hospitals should be doing this
THIS.

With all the hospital restricting visitation & with all that available parking space, why not.

This will also elevate some staffs to not take TTC, which also help TTC to not be overcrowded.
Dec 12, 2013
63 posts
47 upvotes
GTA
Cartman86 wrote: All hospitals should be doing this
Agreed, my wife works at Mount Sinai and is getting hit with high parking rates.
Feb 5, 2008
380 posts
266 upvotes
Markham
The hospitals don't have a say on whether parking is free or not. From my understanding, the parking lots at most if not all hospitals are managed by third party vendors (Precise Link, etc). The hospitals pay a management fee to these third party companies which is why they need donors to step up to pay these third party companies to allow for 'free parking' for staff. If anything, it should be these parking management companies that should step up and help in these situations.

In any case, glad to see donors helping out. Front line staff shouldn't have to pay for parking in times like these.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14525 posts
27260 upvotes
Scarborough
slowsucks wrote: In any case, glad to see donors helping out. Front line staff shouldn't have to pay for parking in times like these.
Are they accepting online donations somewhere? I know I'd chip in and I'm sure a lot of others would too.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8945 posts
4248 upvotes
Markham
I thought it is always like this. Surprise, surprise
Feb 13, 2008
119 posts
89 upvotes
BC made it free parking for all at all BC hospitals on March 30 (effective April 1)

https://globalnews.ca/news/6753205/temp ... 19-crisis/
The B.C. government is suspending pay parking at hospitals and other health facilities amid the COVID-19 crisis.

Parking will be free for patients, staff and visitors at all sites owned and operated by health authorities until further notice, starting Wednesday.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2013
1227 posts
907 upvotes
Brampton
I work at sick kids and the staff discount rate is $16/day. Complete bs. Because of covid they said they are reducing it to $10/day. Glad to see other hospitals stepping up. Hope they follow suit.
Dec 20, 2010
60 posts
56 upvotes
toronto
Scarborough Grace is doing free parking. The gates are up
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2003
1029 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
I am volunteer for Sinai and one of the number one priorities has been trying to secure parking, meals, and discounted accommodations (some workers are staying downtown to protect their families) for front line workers to help out and improve morale.

The lots near Sinai are privately owned - so the hospital simply cannot make it free.

It is tough not only because everyone is asking for help and everyone is going through their own tough times, but importantly hospital funds (or money raised by the hospital) cannot be used for this initiative so we have to go directly to the parking lots or donors to give.

If anyone wants to help or has suggestion to help get some parking spots near the hospital please DM me.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9614 posts
8996 upvotes
Markham
Sick Kids is still charging $10 a day to park. So much for that.
Mar 8, 2004
832 posts
356 upvotes
Barrie
Anikiri wrote: Sick Kids is still charging $10 a day to park. So much for that.
That's half price and Sick kids owns their lot. 100% of the proceeds go back to the hospital.

Someone feel free to correct me on the proceeds part but i'm almost certain i've read that somewhere.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1578 posts
486 upvotes
Toronto
bigzinc10 wrote: I work at sick kids and the staff discount rate is $16/day. Complete bs. Because of covid they said they are reducing it to $10/day. Glad to see other hospitals stepping up. Hope they follow suit.
But I suspect that when it's free, all the staff would start driving there, and it'd end up being full, and it'd end up being lucky to find available parking even with that other building.

(Not defending them or anything, cuz I hate it there)
urbanxspirit wrote: Scarborough Grace is doing free parking. The gates are up
But to be fair, Scarborough Grace's staff parking should be around like 60 bucks a month for staff? (Scarb General was around there). Downtown Hospital staff rate is like 180-200 a month (for Sick Kids). Still a very good gesture.
Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus Tuf OC RTX 3090 | G.Skill Ripjaws 48GB DDR4-2666 | CM StormTrooper | 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 + NVMe 970 Pro 512GB | ASRock X99 Extreme4
| Noctua NH-D15 | ASUS PG27UQ + Dell P2715Q
Apr 4, 2017
497 posts
400 upvotes
Eaton Centre is providing free parking to st Michael's hospital doctors, nurses and staff.
Thank you to Cadillac Fairview for the generosity.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2013
1227 posts
907 upvotes
Brampton
That's correct. It goes back to hospital, how come I can't write off as charitable donation?
TheDoctah wrote: That's half price and Sick kids owns their lot. 100% of the proceeds go back to the hospital.

Someone feel free to correct me on the proceeds part but i'm almost certain i've read that somewhere.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
1913 posts
828 upvotes
used to work at UHN...they should make it FREE all the time!!
i always parked at sick kids as they have one of the lowest rate...relatively speaking