• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2019 7:23 am
[OP]
Nov 21, 2014
16 posts
13 upvotes
Gatineau, QC

Umidigi A5 Pro owners thread

A couple of months back I got some good info about the Umidigi F1 from this thread so I figured I'd get the ball rolling for something similar for the A5 Pro since I just received mine yesterday.

I have to say that, for a phone that cost me half of what the F1 did at the time, it's miles ahead of it in quality.

I haven't run into any of the issues we had with the F1 on the A5 Pro as a matter of fact. The phone is rock-solid. The only thing that's a bit of a black mark is that the native Phone app doesn't have the option to add a SIP account in the Calling accounts but I installed zoiper and it's working just fine. I'm very impressed so far but I'll update in a week or two once I have more time with it.

Share your experience or ask any question you may have about the phone, I'll try to answer as best I can.
17 replies
Nov 15, 2017
592 posts
387 upvotes
How good/bad are the cameras on Umidigi phones? I had a Blu phone before and image quality was so-so at best; would I expect the same from Umidigi?
[OP]
Nov 21, 2014
16 posts
13 upvotes
Gatineau, QC
It wasn't great on the F1 but I'm pretty satisfied with the cameras on the A5 Pro. I mean it's a decent 16 Mpix so you obviously won't be able to do what you would with the 64 Mpix behemots you'll find on $1k+ phones but it's good enough for general use.

I have a DSLR for my serious photography needs.
[OP]
Nov 21, 2014
16 posts
13 upvotes
Gatineau, QC
So, here are my thoughts after a weekend's use:

If you're heavy into mobile gaming, this isn't the phone for you. It's decent enough but gets very slow and laggy in games that have high graphics demand.
For some unknown reason notifications don't seem to vibrate the phone. That's annoying considering there's not notification LED. I've tried to find a setting for it but to no avail. Same with Zoiper has the phone app, it'll ring but won't vibrate when a call comes in. That's probably just a software issue, hopefully it gets fixed quickly.

Other than that it's working really well. Really hard to beat at this price point.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3638 posts
608 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm having problem with the default camera app.

When I enable anti-shake mode, after taking a photo and I want to open the photo inside the camera app.
The image becomes a solid green photo.

I tried this before and after the latest July update.

Also, what is ZSD option inside camera settings?
[OP]
Nov 21, 2014
16 posts
13 upvotes
Gatineau, QC
Yeah, I think a few people have reported that as a bug with the anti-shake function on the Umidigi forums although I haven't experienced it myself. If you turn it off it goes away though.

I don't know what ZSD is either.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1272 posts
71 upvotes
Will unbox mine on the 21st , it has arrived already

And then will have to decide whether to keep it
Or the Realme3 I just brought over from the Philippines
[Call To Action] ✈ New air travel rules: Canadians are in for a rude awakening🍁

Thank You RFD Community! 🤘
2019: 📶Umidigi A5 Pro, 📱PayTM, 🏧HSBC, 💸Coast Capital, 🚗Turo, 💳Stack Financial, 🍽SkipTheDishes, 🍷LCBO, ✈RBC WestJet
[OP]
Nov 21, 2014
16 posts
13 upvotes
Gatineau, QC
A week later I think I'm sold on the A5 Pro, It's earned the right to replace my Mi A2 Lite.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12032 posts
1529 upvotes
Kanata
wing0 wrote:
Jul 18th, 2019 11:19 pm
I'm having problem with the default camera app.

When I enable anti-shake mode, after taking a photo and I want to open the photo inside the camera app.
The image becomes a solid green photo.

I tried this before and after the latest July update.

Also, what is ZSD option inside camera settings?
Zero Shutter Delay. With Google Camera, it's a way of not requiring you to hold the camera still for really long while it takes multiple shots to create an HDR shot (called ZSL in Google Camera).
With this camera app, I'm guessing that it takes the picture right away, instead of waiting that split second before taking a picture.
Feb 21, 2005
75 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
In your initial setup have you enable encryption of the device and if so, have you encountered any issues.

I seem to recall reading a comment somewhere and the user was having issues calling and texting...
[OP]
Nov 21, 2014
16 posts
13 upvotes
Gatineau, QC
I did enable encryption and don't have any issues texting or calling.
Feb 21, 2005
75 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
IamGimli wrote:
Jul 27th, 2019 6:56 am
I did enable encryption and don't have any issues texting or calling.
good to know
Aug 8, 2019
1 posts
I just received my Umidigi A5 Pro but it won't connect to Consumer Cellular carrier. I went through their tech support and they finally said it wasn't compatible to their network. We could get it to work for a day and then it dropped out. We tried adding new Access Point Names which got it to work for awhile. Now I cannot access the APN to even view them. I get this error message...
"com.android.phone keeps stopping". Any advice or tricks I can try? Thanks much
Feb 21, 2005
75 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Mellon wrote:
Aug 9th, 2019 1:40 pm
I just received my Umidigi A5 Pro but it won't connect to Consumer Cellular carrier. I went through their tech support and they finally said it wasn't compatible to their network. We could get it to work for a day and then it dropped out. We tried adding new Access Point Names which got it to work for awhile. Now I cannot access the APN to even view them. I get this error message...
"com.android.phone keeps stopping". Any advice or tricks I can try? Thanks much
You could ask these very knowledgeable people about it.
XDA