Expired Hot Deals

[UMIDIGI] New UMIDIGI F2, stock Android 10, 6.53" FHD+, 6GB RAM, 128GB ROM, Quad Cameras, 5150mAh - US$199.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2020 2:48 am
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1505 posts
3858 upvotes
Pawtucket
Found something interesting. I use Mint Mobile, which is a T-Mobile MVNO in the US, for my second sim slot. I was able to receive/send texts and receive/send calls using wifi even with Sim 2 card off while in Canada. I was able to dial out to another phone and see my US number on the caller ID. No data though since there is no roaming coverage for Mint but I've never been able to do this with any of my other dual sim phones.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 28, 2005
6167 posts
288 upvotes
Scarborough
I have voip.ms on me essential phone using the built in android voip/sip program but I noticed this doesn't let me use the android built in viop program. There's no way for me to add my voip.ms account and I need to find a 3rd party app now. This kinda sucks.

any recommendations?
Aug 24, 2006
968 posts
446 upvotes
lithiumli wrote: I have voip.ms on me essential phone using the built in android voip/sip program but I noticed this doesn't let me use the android built in viop program. There's no way for me to add my voip.ms account and I need to find a 3rd party app now. This kinda sucks.

any recommendations?
I believe SIP has been removed as a android 10 feature.. but I may be mistaken.
it makes some sense as the cell phone providers probably complained.

If you have to worry about battery life Groundwire is the best option yes the ratings on the play store is not that great.. but ignore that..
it will work perfectly on this phone. unfortuantely its a paid app but does go on sale at times..

You can do texting in the app too.. I am very happy with it.

Otherwise use zoiper.. it will use a bit more battery life but atleast they have a free version.
Jan 29, 2010
282 posts
101 upvotes
Victoria
What are people using for a screen protector? The one that came on the screen is already peeling in places. I would like one that doesn't cover the selfie lens
Feb 7, 2011
444 posts
118 upvotes
bryceton wrote: go to dialer type
*#*#3646633#*#* OR download app MTK Engineering Mode
go to band mode - sim 1 (and 2 if you are using both sims) disabling all unused non canadian bands

save and reset your phone..
Which are unused non Canadian bands for Freedom Users? Anyone modified?
Aug 24, 2006
968 posts
446 upvotes
sanjuo wrote: Which are unused non Canadian bands for Freedom Users? Anyone modified?
Band info here
https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/CA
for freedom
Bands 4G B4 B7 , B13 B66
Bands 3G B4 (1700/2100 AWS A-F)

Note even though freedom doesnt use 2G you will need to keep atleast 1 item checkmarked under each setting: LTE UMTS GSM CDMA otherwise will get an error message

Since I am on this subject, heres another tip for this phone that I have heard of.. but have not actually tried.. (do to getting great signal here)

Some people have issue with staying on 4g.. when the signal gets weaker (even though its there) it drops the signal and switches to 3g..
If you know there should be a 4g signal where you are this tweak will actually confirm it.. (and apperently even if you have 0 bars on 4g you still may have signal on this phone..

Simply go into the the Band Mode menu in engeineermode..

For everything but 4g you must select atleast 1 item.. instead of selecting a canadian band.. select something that is not supported in canada.. this will force it to always use 4g..

only issue is if you dont actually have a 4g signal at all.. then your phone wont be able to connect at all.. but atleast this will show you if the problem is software or hardware..

now also in engeneer mode you can just go to network select-> LTE ONLY if you wanted lte only.. but apperantly the method above works better for some.. again i cant test as i have full bars here :P
Dec 4, 2013
15 posts
8 upvotes
burlington
lithiumli wrote: I have voip.ms on me essential phone using the built in android voip/sip program but I noticed this doesn't let me use the android built in viop program. There's no way for me to add my voip.ms account and I need to find a 3rd party app now. This kinda sucks.

any recommendations?
I use the Mizo softphone app with my Voip.ms number - Its free with no ads - seems to work ok
Dec 2, 2019
12 posts
My security update says October 5 2019 and says its up to date, while under that the google play system update says security patch January 1 2020. So under security I have three green good marks on google play protect find my device and google play system update, and one red bad mark next to security update. Would anyone know how to fix this or is this the same on other f2 phones? Should I be concerned or is this one of those wait for an update things?
Apr 8, 2019
14 posts
10 upvotes
I'm using my Umidigi F2 for a while (all updates installed). The Main problem is I can't hear the voice of the other side in the calls (i.e., earpiece speaker doesn't work). This only happens sometimes but leads to missing many calls. Has anyone found any fix for it?

P.s.: I only use voip (TextNow, Fongo, Telegram) not cell call.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2725 posts
377 upvotes
shervinkh wrote: I'm using my Umidigi F2 for a while (all updates installed). The Main problem is I can't hear the voice of the other side in the calls (i.e., earpiece speaker doesn't work). This only happens sometimes but leads to missing many calls. Has anyone found any fix for it?

P.s.: I only use voip (TextNow, Fongo, Telegram) not cell call.
i also use textnow too and the sound is fine on mine. does it sound fine otherwise?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3362 posts
1417 upvotes
oldnogold wrote: My security update says October 5 2019 and says its up to date, while under that the google play system update says security patch January 1 2020. So under security I have three green good marks on google play protect find my device and google play system update, and one red bad mark next to security update. Would anyone know how to fix this or is this the same on other f2 phones? Should I be concerned or is this one of those wait for an update things?
Google has made it easier to differentiate between Android security updates and vendor updates (specific to the actual hardware). That's why you're seeing different update values.

As for whether or not you should be concerned, you definitely have the wrong phone if you care about security updates. Unless you use a custom ROM or a GSI, you likely won't get many more if any security updates on the F2. I'm on the F1 Play and have now moved to a GSI (LineageOS 17) as the last security update was from almost a year ago.
Apr 8, 2019
14 posts
10 upvotes
HammerJoe wrote: i also use textnow too and the sound is fine on mine. does it sound fine otherwise?
Yes it works fine when it works.

But, today, the earpiece has been muted for the whole day and does not get fixed. Previously, I was playing with all 4 volumes (decrease and then increase all) and it would get fixed after some time. I start to suspect it's a hardware problem.
Dec 2, 2019
12 posts
txenglan wrote: Google has made it easier to differentiate between Android security updates and vendor updates (specific to the actual hardware). That's why you're seeing different update values.

As for whether or not you should be concerned, you definitely have the wrong phone if you care about security updates. Unless you use a custom ROM or a GSI, you likely won't get many more if any security updates on the F2. I'm on the F1 Play and have now moved to a GSI (LineageOS 17) as the last security update was from almost a year ago.
Thanks txenglan, Think I may have thought google was going to do all the security updates on android 10 but since looking into it it seems google will only be doing critical security updates thru the playstore on mainline. Knew going in the operating system was almost certain to stay on 10 but messed up on the security updates, with a ton of luck down the road maybe google will send them over playstore for real.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3362 posts
1417 upvotes
oldnogold wrote: Thanks txenglan, Think I may have thought google was going to do all the security updates on android 10 but since looking into it it seems google will only be doing critical security updates thru the playstore on mainline. Knew going in the operating system was almost certain to stay on 10 but messed up on the security updates, with a ton of luck down the road maybe google will send them over playstore for real.
Well I think you should be ok for now being a bit behind on security updates. The GSI I'm using is actually working pretty well and I suspect you'll have a similarly decent experience if and when you feel the need to get off the stock ROM. I bought the F1 Play knowing security updates weren't going to happen but also knowing I'd probably be able to get a GSI running. I hope Google finally solves the update problem once and for all as it's always been a weakness when compared to iOS.