Shopping Discussion

Unable to Cancel Amazon Order

  • Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2020 12:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2007
4173 posts
3040 upvotes
Edmonton

Unable to Cancel Amazon Order

Looks like Amazon has closed a “loophole”.

I placed an order for an OOS item (order now and we”ll ship when available) with some other items. It’s been a couple of weeks and I located the item elsewhere so figured I would just cancel the OOS item but Amazon won’t allow it.

I don’t have Prime anymore so used the $35 minimum for free shipping. I guess they consider this as a promotion and because cancelling the OOS item would technically bring my order under $35, they don’t allow the cancellation.

This never used to be the case. The shipping option is actually ship when all items are ready so by them splitting up the order seems like they are holding me ransom.

The funny thing is that I made a second order and they actually grouped the two separate orders into one shipment but for free shipping purposes, they look at it as separate orders.

Seems like they would actually be saving money by not having to ship out the last OOS item separately. The item cannot even be ordered now on Amazon so I’m not even sure that they would be able to supply it.
9 replies
Member
Apr 10, 2020
290 posts
1075 upvotes
starchoice wrote: Looks like Amazon has closed a “loophole”.

I placed an order for an OOS item (order now and we”ll ship when available) with some other items. It’s been a couple of weeks and I located the item elsewhere so figured I would just cancel the OOS item but Amazon won’t allow it.

I don’t have Prime anymore so used the $35 minimum for free shipping. I guess they consider this as a promotion and because cancelling the OOS item would technically bring my order under $35, they don’t allow the cancellation.

This never used to be the case. The shipping option is actually ship when all items are ready so by them splitting up the order seems like they are holding me ransom.

The funny thing is that I made a second order and they actually grouped the two separate orders into one shipment but for free shipping purposes, they look at it as separate orders.

Seems like they would actually be saving money by not having to ship out the last OOS item separately. The item cannot even be ordered now on Amazon so I’m not even sure that they would be able to supply it.
Use the chat function to speak to an agent. Get them to cancel the order and you can reorder your other items without the one you need.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11787 posts
6840 upvotes
Markham
starchoice wrote: Looks like Amazon has closed a “loophole”.

I placed an order for an OOS item (order now and we”ll ship when available) with some other items. It’s been a couple of weeks and I located the item elsewhere so figured I would just cancel the OOS item but Amazon won’t allow it.

I don’t have Prime anymore so used the $35 minimum for free shipping. I guess they consider this as a promotion and because cancelling the OOS item would technically bring my order under $35, they don’t allow the cancellation.

This never used to be the case. The shipping option is actually ship when all items are ready so by them splitting up the order seems like they are holding me ransom.

The funny thing is that I made a second order and they actually grouped the two separate orders into one shipment but for free shipping purposes, they look at it as separate orders.

Seems like they would actually be saving money by not having to ship out the last OOS item separately. The item cannot even be ordered now on Amazon so I’m not even sure that they would be able to supply it.
You couldn't cancel that specific item or you couldn't cancel full order?

Could you cancel full order and re-order some items again ?
Jr. Member
User avatar
Sep 26, 2009
155 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
Did you have the option to select a reason for cancelling? Sometimes your ability to cancel an order/item depends on your "reason". When i do cancel, I always choose the option that is most likely to get my ordered cancelled.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2007
4173 posts
3040 upvotes
Edmonton
smartie wrote: You couldn't cancel that specific item or you couldn't cancel full order?

Could you cancel full order and re-order some items again ?
The specific item, the other items shipped so the only outstanding one is OOS one, last item in the order.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2004
3443 posts
2023 upvotes
London
starchoice wrote: The specific item, the other items shipped so the only outstanding one is OOS one, last item in the order.
just use the chat they will cancel it for u no problem I've done it a bunch of times.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2007
4173 posts
3040 upvotes
Edmonton
jaydubayew wrote: Did you have the option to select a reason for cancelling? Sometimes your ability to cancel an order/item depends on your "reason". When i do cancel, I always choose the option that is most likely to get my ordered cancelled.
Yea, the reason section is marked as optional so it seemed that it wasn’t really pertinent to the cancellation process. I selected ‘item wouldn’t arrive in time’ as that seemed closest and the onus of the reason for cancellation put on them.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 20, 2012
13609 posts
2977 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
You can have amazon contact you via fone thru their help page. I had issues with 3rd party cancellations and both times amazon contacted me within 5 minutes.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
17926 posts
16926 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I don't think this has been mentioned yet. Use the CHAT function...not RFD chat.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
16920 posts
8972 upvotes
Ottawa
I remember something like that happening to me. I even contacted via chat, and the agent could not cancel it even directly on the their system. I had to wait until it was shipped out and return it.
<insert sig>

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)