Home & Garden

Unauthorized Condo Access

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2020 6:24 pm
[OP]
Member
Nov 20, 2014
258 posts
134 upvotes
Stouffville, ON

Unauthorized Condo Access

First-time home owner here -

I am in the interim occupancy period of a new condo. I was informed by condo management that there would be "HVAC maintenance" done next week (July 27) in suite. This morning my ring home security was set off and I found out that the contractor had entered my suite to perform this maintenance. Problem is that the builder and contractor did not notify condo management of their schedule change and accessed my unit without my approval or notification ahead of time. Whats worse is that they went in/out numerous times over a 20 minute period as the alarm was going off.

When I picked up the keys for my unit, I specifically requested that contractors do not enter my unit without my permission or notification. I called condo management and they were also not impressed with what the builder/contractor did by not informing them of the schedule change. I understand if this were an emergency such as flooding or fire etc they would have to go in but this was far from that.

My question is can the builder be accountable for what they did? What are my rights? Could this be viewed as a break and enter? I just feel that my privacy and space was severely violated...or am I over reacting??
8 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
14948 posts
11383 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Welcome to the Condo life. How did they get the keys? Management of course.
4drsprt wrote: First-time home owner here -

I am in the interim occupancy period of a new condo. I was informed by condo management that there would be "HVAC maintenance" done next week (July 27) in suite. This morning my ring home security was set off and I found out that the contractor had entered my suite to perform this maintenance. Problem is that the builder and contractor did not notify condo management of their schedule change and accessed my unit without my approval or notification ahead of time. Whats worse is that they went in/out numerous times over a 20 minute period as the alarm was going off.

When I picked up the keys for my unit, I specifically requested that contractors do not enter my unit without my permission or notification. I called condo management and they were also not impressed with what the builder/contractor did by not informing them of the schedule change. I understand if this were an emergency such as flooding or fire etc they would have to go in but this was far from that.

My question is can the builder be accountable for what they did? What are my rights? Could this be viewed as a break and enter? I just feel that my privacy and space was severely violated...or am I over reacting??

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Member
Nov 20, 2014
258 posts
134 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Welcome to the Condo life. How did they get the keys? Management of course.
It was the builder, condo management was "not aware" of the schedule change....which I sorta believe as previous maintenance schedules have changed numerous times last minute.

Guess that is the reality...but geeeez...time to add a camera to my ring system.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 9, 2003
1474 posts
282 upvotes
Grimsby
Doesn't the builder technically own the who building until such time the condo is registered?

Not that they should wander in at will but just a thought to ponder on. We have friends who 'rented' for 2 years before the condo eventually got registered.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 8, 2007
9248 posts
10815 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
I think since you are in interim occupancy you would essentially be a tenant.... and if so... the following would apply...and as such you would have a valid complaint. But you have to be clear what are you looking for as a remedy?
28E75531-AC43-4C8A-B17D-0D807602D3A5.jpeg
Member
Sep 19, 2014
488 posts
254 upvotes
Markham, ON
4drsprt wrote: First-time home owner here -

I am in the interim occupancy period of a new condo. I was informed by condo management that there would be "HVAC maintenance" done next week (July 27) in suite. This morning my ring home security was set off and I found out that the contractor had entered my suite to perform this maintenance. Problem is that the builder and contractor did not notify condo management of their schedule change and accessed my unit without my approval or notification ahead of time. Whats worse is that they went in/out numerous times over a 20 minute period as the alarm was going off.

When I picked up the keys for my unit, I specifically requested that contractors do not enter my unit without my permission or notification. I called condo management and they were also not impressed with what the builder/contractor did by not informing them of the schedule change. I understand if this were an emergency such as flooding or fire etc they would have to go in but this was far from that.

My question is can the builder be accountable for what they did? What are my rights? Could this be viewed as a break and enter? I just feel that my privacy and space was severely violated...or am I over reacting??
You can probably sue the condo & builder if you suffered any actual damage.
Break & enter? Who do you wish the the criminal charge be brought against? The HVAC technician who was only following the order to enter your units as he has done thousands times before? Or the office clerk who forgot to send an email/letter on the date change?

I mean...from the sound of it all, you just want to vent. Nothing was damaged or stolen.
Forget about it and dont' dwell on it.
Banned
User avatar
Jul 18, 2020
52 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
Why did you give them the keys to your condo?!

Can’t be unauthorized if you gave the keys!
[OP]
Member
Nov 20, 2014
258 posts
134 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
TomDrake81 wrote: Why did you give them the keys to your condo?!

Can’t be unauthorized if you gave the keys!
Didn't have a choice :)

but I still stipulated that there would be no access without my notification or approval.

BTW this happened again earlier this week. This time the door was just opened and closed, no motion inside. Figure they heard the entry delay. Once again condo management saying they were not aware of what the contractors were up to.
[OP]
Member
Nov 20, 2014
258 posts
134 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
blackn54 wrote: You can probably sue the condo & builder if you suffered any actual damage.
Break & enter? Who do you wish the the criminal charge be brought against? The HVAC technician who was only following the order to enter your units as he has done thousands times before? Or the office clerk who forgot to send an email/letter on the date change?

I mean...from the sound of it all, you just want to vent. Nothing was damaged or stolen.
Forget about it and dont' dwell on it.
Haha i do wish to vent...but this happened again earlier this week. Condo management claiming they were not aware of what the contractors did.
I know they're not accessing my unit out of malice or just cause they can but communication has to be straightened out somewhere.

Going to install a ring indoor cam so I can communicate with whoever is inside, thats what sparks my anxiety the most.

Top