[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3983 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto

Unauthorized use of license plates please help

Ho, my situation is as follows:

2 years ago I sold my old car for scrap. It was towed away. Unfortunately I made the mistake by keeping the license plates on. My mistake.

Fast forward 3 years later to now, I get a license plate denial in the mail due to unpaid parking tickets from my old license plate. Someone has used them to illegally park, causing me to foot the bill.

I will be calling Service Ontario today. Just wondering what else I can do? Any possible way of getting these fines reversed? I already paid for the fines because my sticker would expire at the end of December.
15 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25761 posts
10808 upvotes
Toronto
lesson learned. Nothing you can do really. MTO may tell you it's your responsibility
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
2011 posts
370 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Go to MTO and report is stolen now so atleast going forward your not responsible for any of their doings.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
2924 posts
1086 upvotes
I don't know if you have to report it stolen, but definitely you have to file some type of report.

Go fight it, ask for the fines to be waived, etc. and let us know what happens.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
1830 posts
1046 upvotes
Toronto
Can you prove you sold the car? I'm sure they gave you s cheque or something. Sounds like you're going to have to do a lot of leg work but I would start with reporting them as stolen from the day you sold the car. With the report in hand you'll have to go to the municipalities where these tickets were incurred and explain the situation with the police report in hand.

Good luck.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
4749 posts
3281 upvotes
I thought people knew you carry all your plates to the grave. :D
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
2924 posts
1086 upvotes
WMPCOT wrote: Can you prove you sold the car? I'm sure they gave you s cheque or something. Sounds like you're going to have to do a lot of leg work but I would start with reporting them as stolen from the day you sold the car. With the report in hand you'll have to go to the municipalities where these tickets were incurred and explain the situation with the police report in hand.

Good luck.
This sounds good in theory, but the car is not stolen.
Police will ask, if the car was stolen 2 years ago, why are you reporting it now?
Jul 5, 2004
24438 posts
3878 upvotes
Parking tickets have license plate and vehicle description. That would have been enough to get them waived, except for the fact that you paid them already. I don't see any chance of getting a refund. Next time don't pay parking tickets that don't belong to you.

I would go to the MTO though and explain you sold your car and left the plates on it.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
1830 posts
1046 upvotes
Toronto
motomondo wrote: This sounds good in theory, but the car is not stolen.
Police will ask, if the car was stolen 2 years ago, why are you reporting it now?
Who is reporting the car stolen? Its only the plates that were, someone has stolen them from the yard after the OP sold the car to them.

If the OP tells the police what happened they would report them as stolen seeing as someone is illegally in possession of them and using them. He can tell the police the truth, I thought the car and plates were destroyed only after seeing the tickets does he know. This would be the same as credit card being used illegally, most people do not know it has happened until after they see fraudulent charges.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3983 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto
I had no choice but to pay them because I was denied plate renewal and I need the renewal to continue to drive.

On the phone now with MTO.

Update: MTO says it is not parking, it is from 407ETR.
Need to file a police report.
Jul 5, 2004
24438 posts
3878 upvotes
NEMESIS_2008 wrote: I had no choice but to pay them because I was denied plate renewal and I need the renewal to continue to drive.

On the phone now with MTO.

Update: MTO says it is not parking, it is from 407ETR.
Need to file a police report.
You should have received bills in the mail then long before your license plate renewal was denied
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1627 posts
425 upvotes
Happened to me to but with a trailer I sold that had license plates I left on . I got a 407 bill in the mail.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3983 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto
Shaner wrote: You should have received bills in the mail then long before your license plate renewal was denied
Under the old plate was my old mailing address which was not updated. I sold the car 2-3 years ago and I moved 2 years ago. That was why I did not get the bill. I did not even know until I renewed my current vehicle and the person working told me of some 407 charges.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1135 posts
844 upvotes
HAMILTON
Had a car stolen..... police reports etc...... ended up with 407 bills.

407 folks would not do anything without a copy of the full police report and not the incident #. Police were not overly cooperative in supplying the needed info after numerous requests, etc.

Finally just easier to pay the charges and move on.......... police never did supply me with the full police report.

Should add that vehicle later recovered.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
25632 posts
5926 upvotes
LOL, don't even want to know the thousands racked up in 407 charges.

Because the person is likely still using the plates to avoid the 407 charges to this day (and possibly other illegal doings like no insurance, no valid registration, etc.) police should be able to catch them fairly easily as they probably get on/off at similar locations. However if the bill is only from occasional use, would be a lot harder for them and they likely won't even bother.