Expired Hot Deals

[Uncle Jacob] Schwinn Vantage F1 Premium Commuter Bike Half Off!!

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2019 2:59 pm
[OP]
Jul 5, 2003
395 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto

Schwinn Vantage F1 Premium Commuter Bike Half Off!!

Deal Link:
Price:
$599
Savings:
50%
Retailer:
Uncle Jacob
For those looking for a great brand-new commuter bike for all-season use, this is a hot deal as the parts are typically found in bikes >$1k. Uncle Jacob's bike shop is located in Chinatown at Spadina & Dundas.

Compared to more popular commuter brands (Trek FX Series, Giant Escape Disc, Cannondale Quick Disc), you are getting much more bang for your buck! You can also trade in your existing bike to reduce the cost.

Highlights:
- carbon front fork
- hydraulic disc breaks
- Shimano components
- Kenda dual layer flat protection tires

Key Features of Schwinn Vantage F1 Bike:

Frame: Schwinn® SRT (Smooth Ride Tech) endurance frame with elastomer technology
Fork: Schwinn® carbon sport with disc mounts and alloy steerer, 1 1/8"
Rims: Alex® MD17 alloy double wall 32H
Hubs: Alloy QR disc 32H (F); Alloy QR disc 32H (R)
Spokes: 14G stainless
Tires: Kenda® Kwick Tendrill with K-Shield 700 × 32c
Pedals: Alloy/resin with reflector
Crank: Shimano Deore Octalink® FC-T3010 alloy triple 48/36/26T
Bottom Bracket: Sealed cartridge
Chain: KMC® Z99
Rear Cog: Shimano® 11-34T, 9-speed
Front Derailleur: Shimano Altus® FD-M370
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore® RD-M591
Shifters: Shimano Altus® Rapid Fire SL-M370
Handlebar: Schwinn® S1 sport alloy, 31.8, 15 mm rise
Stem: Schwinn® S1 sport alloy, 31.8
Headset: VP internal, 1 1/8"
Brakes: Shimano® BR-M355 hydraulic disc, 160 mm rotors
Brake Levers: Shimano® Hydraulic
Saddle: Schwinn® S1 sport ergo
Seatpost: Schwinn® S1 sport alloy, 27.2 × 350 mm
Extras: Schwinn® sport ergo dual-density grips
Last edited by yeungsprite on May 29th, 2019 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
25 replies
Jul 13, 2007
388 posts
332 upvotes
Vancouver
Good price !

Wouldn’t pay retail on this configuration though.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2165 posts
400 upvotes
Do they ship? Can't seem to buy online.
Mar 17, 2007
129 posts
55 upvotes
How does this bike compare to the one at Costco? The Northrock sr1
Jul 14, 2007
107 posts
32 upvotes
enhanced wrote: Do they ship? Can't seem to buy online.
Seems like they offer local delivery.
Jul 14, 2007
107 posts
32 upvotes
Do you know if this bike is new? This store used to be known for their selection of used bikes.
Feb 18, 2007
905 posts
1087 upvotes
Vancouver
efrivela wrote: How does this bike compare to the one at Costco? The Northrock sr1
They are two totally different bikes.

One is a straight up drop bar road bike with STI's.

This is a flat bar hybrid with hydraulic discs.

For 2 very different purposes.
[OP]
Jul 5, 2003
395 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
lewinsky wrote: Do you know if this bike is new? This store used to be known for their selection of used bikes.
Brand-new bike; they still have used bikes if you are in the market for them (I traded my old one in and saved $200). Also, Northrock SR1 is a road-bike, so it isn't as suitable for all-season use and has a less comfortable riding stance as it is meant for speed. Lastly, the hydraulic disc brakes on the Schwinn make a huge difference for stopping power in city traffic.
Dec 6, 2017
983 posts
517 upvotes
Manitoba
Tempted but would really rather have a gravel bike.
one more deal and I'm out * involuntary tick*.... :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2010
1032 posts
896 upvotes
Toronto
Tempted but I just need my road bike to zoom zoom zoom.
May 21, 2018
585 posts
555 upvotes
Price is $600 after the discount. Great deal considering the original price was $1300.
Don't forget to goo your attic!
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1972 posts
1689 upvotes
Toronto
efrivela wrote: How does this bike compare to the one at Costco? The Northrock sr1
While everyone answered your question - that they don't really compare for being different kind (and they're totally right!);

I imagine you're asking like "I have 600 bucks and 0 bikes, what should I get":
Unless you're set to get a road bike (and happen to use whatever size Costco sells, which I think is medium from the website). SR1 isn't bad itself, very well rounded spec, but medium/long rides on a wrong sized bike isn't that great.
I personally think "Hybrid" bikes are great, riding position isn't as aggressive as road (frame geometry and handlebars), tires aren't slow as MTB and a lot more comfy than road, it (normally) uses MTB Derailleurs makes them a bit more durable, Carbon fibre fork is great for city rides (not heavy like suspension forks, bit of shock abortion compared to steel);

Also, if you want to compare like spec/price-wise, obviously the hydraulic brakes makes the F1 better "parts for the buck", but all other parts - frame, fork, derailleurs, pedals, handlebar (both alloy), ... should perform very similarly.
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Apr 21, 2012
523 posts
736 upvotes
Ontario
Does anyone know if this would be a decent bike frame to convert into an e-bike? I have access to hub motors and controller. Would use it to commute 10-15km bike ride to work.
Apr 17, 2007
120 posts
70 upvotes
The Void
Tried to buy online but website is broken :(
Intel 486sx, 2MB RAM, 40MB HD, 3.5" HD Flopy Drive, 5.25" HD Floppy Drive ... VGA Monitor
Dec 11, 2018
57 posts
25 upvotes
That is a very solid bike at a very solid price. I can't imagine they will last long!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
3025 posts
1144 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I can't find reviews of the bike.
I have a Trek FX 2 which have good reviews but thinking of trading it with this one
Last edited by boldventure on May 29th, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 7, 2011
120 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto
FYI - I cannot suggest strongly enough to NEVER buy a bike from Uncle Jacob.

Firstly, because he is well known as a purchaser / reseller of stolen bikes. You can see sketchy looking people walking into his shop all day long carrying a bike, and walking out with a handful of cash.

Second, because many people (myself included, and several friends and acquaintances) have been injured over the year while test riding bikes at his shop due to improper and negligent assembly.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12347 posts
3577 upvotes
GTA
micah356 wrote: FYI - I cannot suggest strongly enough to NEVER buy a bike from Uncle Jacob.

Firstly, because he is well known as a purchaser / reseller of stolen bikes. You can see sketchy looking people walking into his shop all day long carrying a bike, and walking out with a handful of cash.

Was gonna post the same reply. I know 100% what you mentioned goes on. I'm shocked the fat bastard is still in business, he's an absolute snake. Try and go downstairs, it's where he keeps the hot bikes.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
[OP]
Jul 5, 2003
395 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
micah356 wrote: FYI - I cannot suggest strongly enough to NEVER buy a bike from Uncle Jacob.

Second, because many people (myself included, and several friends and acquaintances) have been injured over the year while test riding bikes at his shop due to improper and negligent assembly.
This is my first time purchasing from them (new bike), and I didn't have any issues when test riding. I don't know the store's history, but there may be some consolation in knowing that they asked me to provide proof of purchase OR Personal Identification for trading in my old bike...
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
3025 posts
1144 upvotes
Toronto, ON
yeungsprite wrote: This is my first time purchasing from them (new bike), and I didn't have any issues when test riding. I don't know the store's history, but there may be some consolation in knowing that they asked me to provide proof of purchase OR Personal Identification for trading in my old bike...
How much was your old bike for the trade off?