Food & Drink

Uncle Willy's Burnaby Metrotown

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2019 12:52 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7957 posts
3974 upvotes

Uncle Willy's Burnaby Metrotown

Has anyone been here before? If so, can you please comment on the food quality, selection and whether it seemed like a good value. I am assuming it is an all-you-can-eat situation. Thanks.
8 replies
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 4, 2006
580 posts
215 upvotes
GTA
Reviews on Yelp and Google don't look very promising.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12991 upvotes
Their rotisserie chicken is pretty good
That doesn't sound too impressive but considering that I rank pretty much all rotisserie chicken as awful or worse.

Fried chicken is also quite good if you're into drums. It's crispy and well seasoned.

The rest of the food however.... It's amazing.
Amazing as in "It's amazing how bad this food is"
An example would be their meatballs. I mean filler balls.

Oh and they use generic soda.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1864 upvotes
Scarborough
death_hawk wrote: That doesn't sound too impressive but considering that I rank pretty much all rotisserie chicken as awful or worse.
When we used to have Kenny Rogers Roasters here in Canada in the 90s, it was amazing.

Amazingly good!!! Sigh. Disappointed But Relieved Face
Newbie
Apr 1, 2019
8 posts
9 upvotes
Uncle Willy's used to be an amazing establishment 20 years ago. It's just a former shell of itself. The food is bland. The atmosphere looks its age. The furniture and decor could use a fresh update that's for sure. It's amazing to me how long they've been able to last at the Metrotown location for all these years.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
9733 posts
11475 upvotes
Vancouver
LilSam wrote: Uncle Willy's used to be an amazing establishment 20 years ago. It's just a former shell of itself. The food is bland. The atmosphere looks its age. The furniture and decor could use a fresh update that's for sure. It's amazing to me how long they've been able to last at the Metrotown location for all these years.
Amazing establishment? I last ate there 25 years ago (Coquitlam location I think) and it was awful. I thought the whole chain was long defunct and didn't realize there were still open locations until I saw this thread.
Sr. Member
Jun 15, 2008
572 posts
70 upvotes
Strafe1 wrote: When we used to have Kenny Rogers Roasters here in Canada in the 90s, it was amazing.

Amazingly good!!! Sigh. Disappointed But Relieved Face
Wait.. what? There used to be Kenny Rogers Roasters here? I didn't know that. I usually eat it in Malaysia when I am there. The cornbread muffin was good, but they don't serve it anymore.
But sadly, even the standard of the KR Roasts in Malaysia has gone down a lot.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1864 upvotes
Scarborough
yogilo wrote: Wait.. what? There used to be Kenny Rogers Roasters here? I didn't know that
It wasn't for very long. Maybe a couple or so years around the mid 90s. Had one right in Scarborough! Man, it was real good!

It shows the company ran into legal problems with another chicken shack chain that claimed that Kenny's stole their menu. They ended up filing bankruptcy after closing down remaining shops in the states in the late 90s.

Though like you said, another company took it up and revived the name over in south east Asia. At least you still have it there. Too bad the quality there like you said has gone down.
Jr. Member
Sep 21, 2017
173 posts
96 upvotes
Vancouver
That place is still open?? Going to be honest I thought it shut down years ago.
I remember going there when I was younger a bunch, the buffet food was okay I did like the fried/ rotisserie chicken but everything else seemed pretty bland or like filler potatoes and rice. It also seemed like the decor was really dated, but I was last there like 8+ years ago.

Top