Home & Garden

Under cabinet lighting installation question?

• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2019 3:39 pm
[OP]
Oct 29, 2006
501 posts
40 upvotes
Ottawa

Under cabinet lighting installation question?

Hey guys!

I've got a laundry "closet" on my second floor which i'm planning to spruce up with some cabinets, countertop and backsplash. While we're in there, I figured it would be a nice touch to add some under cabinet lighting.

We have a pot light in the center of the ceiling and I was wondering if there is any issues with connecting the direct wire cabinet lighting off of that fixture. We'll be adding 2 under cabinet lights so my plans was ti run a wire from the pot light to the first under cabinet light and then another from that light to the second?

I'm thinking this shouldn't be a problem since in my head it's no different then just adding additional pot lights off the existing one but I wasn't sure if it needed to wired to the switch instead of the pot light.

Any input would help - if it sounds to complicated we might just have an electrician come wire it up for us.

Thanks!
2 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11906 posts
8170 upvotes
Edmonton
In our kitchen remodel, I put LED strips in channels under the cabinets (the strips themselves don’t seem to stick very well, and the channels have diffusers), and then stuck the transformer in the range hood. It has a power splitter to run power to either side of the range.

In your case, since you already have power by the machines, I’d just plug the transformer in there, run low voltage to the under cabinet lights, and put up a motion sensor to turn the lights on when someone walks into the room.

AFAIK, what you’re talking about doing (running a 110v line from the pot light to the under cabinet lights) would require an electrician and a permit, depending on your location. You may already have one coming in, so it may not be a big deal.

C
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9676 posts
5060 upvotes
Paris
+1 for led strip lights available for next to nothing from eBay/amazon. Buy your controllers domestically though. Lee valley has a nice selection of channels and diffusers.