Students

Which undergrad business-related program would you choose?

Sep 23, 2011
306 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Have a relative that graduated from the Schulich School of Business at York University. Look into that program. He is now a CPA, and had 4 job offers before he even graduated. He had nothing but
praise for the program, and all the networking opportunities he got to be a part of. Schulich is also one of the hardest to get into. Need over 90% to get in. Good luck to your daughter.
Jan 8, 2010
160 posts
88 upvotes
Ivey, Queen's commerce, UBC Sauder Portfolio Management Foundation, and McGill Desautels are the Tier 1 undergraduate business programs in Canada. The Laurier BBA/Waterloo math or computer science double degree may also be in this tier if you are aiming for quantitative or technical jobs. After them, you have the Tier 2 options like Schulich, Laurier BBA, UBC Sauder, Rotman, Waterloo AFM, and maybe UTSC management co-op; Brock accounting.

If you want to do investment banking, consulting, or high-finance, you want to be going to the Tier 1 schools. If you want to do accounting, marketing, HR, etc., then it doesn't really matter and any will do.

https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/ ... -in-canada
May 16, 2020
1 posts
Hi,
I am just seeing this now, as my son in Grade eleven is considering similar programs and universities. Just curious, what did your daughter end up choosing and how are things going?
I know these past few months have been a bit unsettling though.
Jul 20, 2016
587 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto
ashleyxena wrote: Hi,
I am just seeing this now, as my son in Grade eleven is considering similar programs and universities. Just curious, what did your daughter end up choosing and how are things going?
not @alanbrenton (surprsied im tagging him and not talking about electric cars ;) ) but i went to one of the traditional business undergrad, and graduated <5 years ago. Also got offers from the majority of the programs described within the thread so happy to give the recent alum / student POV on your kid's situation. Alan can tell you how he feels as a parent paying the ever increasing tuition ;)

If he's set on a business program, I assume he's interested in jobs like finance or consulting? Tbh the education side of thing is fairly similar across most program. Ivey used to be unique offering case study approach but other programs are also incorporating that now to an extent. Case vs lecture, i think it's down to the student's learning style and how well they can work in a team environment given peer evaluation component and a tight bell curve grading scheme. So ultimately it all comes down to recruiting access and for that Ivey and Queen's are generally the top in the country and their tuition reflects it.

As a tangent I think in grade 11 you still have a lot of flexibility to choose what you want to pursue in undergrad so you should have that candid conversation with him, but that's another thread! Feel free to PM if you want finer details.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54023 posts
18972 upvotes
ashleyxena wrote: Hi,
She went for dual degree at WLU - BBA and Financial Math (not the one joint with UW but the one also at WLU). Sorry, I didn't notice your post from two months back.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54023 posts
18972 upvotes
Goose12345 wrote: not @alanbrenton (surprsied im tagging him and not talking about electric cars ;) ) but i went to one of the traditional business undergrad, and graduated <5 years ago. Also got offers from the majority of the programs described within the thread so happy to give the recent alum / student POV on your kid's situation. Alan can tell you how he feels as a parent paying the ever increasing tuition ;)

If he's set on a business program, I assume he's interested in jobs like finance or consulting? Tbh the education side of thing is fairly similar across most program. Ivey used to be unique offering case study approach but other programs are also incorporating that now to an extent. Case vs lecture, i think it's down to the student's learning style and how well they can work in a team environment given peer evaluation component and a tight bell curve grading scheme. So ultimately it all comes down to recruiting access and for that Ivey and Queen's are generally the top in the country and their tuition reflects it.

As a tangent I think in grade 11 you still have a lot of flexibility to choose what you want to pursue in undergrad so you should have that candid conversation with him, but that's another thread! Feel free to PM if you want finer details.
We're paying for tuition for now and she will pay for rent going forward. We covered both (including groceries) until second year but she managed to break her end of the agreement so I get to reset the terms and agreement.

Tuition payments will be backed by a promissory note just in case she misbehaves or doesn't show us the respect we deserve, at least at home.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
5066 posts
2689 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: She went for dual degree at WLU - BBA and Financial Math (not the one joint with UW but the one also at WLU). Sorry, I didn't notice your post from two months back.
My nephew went for the same program, had his last work term with some FI, paid him $20K for the 4 months and when he graduated last year, he went with the same company, got paid more than $60K/year plus bonus. Fresh out of school and made that kind of money is pretty good I say
Jun 4, 2013
472 posts
198 upvotes
Vancouver
None I would go learn some hand on skills. With how the economy is it now I think hand on skill is going to be better choice Electronics, plumbers,Auto Mech etc etc.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54023 posts
18972 upvotes
Problem with apprenticeship for trades is the presence of nepotism as well.

Anything not requiring a license, anyone can do anyway just with free time and practice. Task rabbit and other crowd sourcing sites exists for those who can't be bothered.