• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2020 4:46 pm
[OP]
Apr 15, 2020
4 posts

Uneven Tire Pressure

Two weeks back, I inflated all my tires to 38 psi from gas station (it could show higher reading because of tire being warm). However, this morning, I checked my tire pressure before driving my vehicle and I found all my tires at different pressure reading. Is it going to be a problem? Do you think I need to inflate again.

Front (Left-Driver Side): 36.8 psi
Front (Right-Passenger Side): 35.8 psi

Rear (Left): 37.3 psi
Rear (Right): 36.5 psi
8 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12213 posts
6753 upvotes
Brampton
Could be anything. Sun shining at one side of the car.
The gage could be off, yes I've seen gages on those pumps be off and also be off in an inconsistent manner depending on how well you can get a seal on it. I use a Digital Accutire gage most accurate gage I've ever had down to .5PSI.

You Should set your tires when it's cold and use an accurate meter.
[OP]
Apr 15, 2020
4 posts
tebore wrote: Could be anything. Sun shining at one side of the car.
The gage could be off, yes I've seen gages on those pumps be off and also be off in an inconsistent manner depending on how well you can get a seal on it. I use a Digital Accutire gage most accurate gage I've ever had down to .5PSI.

You Should set your tires when it's cold and use an accurate meter.
Thanks @tebore Actually, I have my own digital tire pressure gauge and I checked the above reported pressures using that gauge. also I checked first thing this morning before driving while tire was cold.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15145 posts
3492 upvotes
Toronto
my suggestion would be the following:

- add a few psi to each tire
- let the car sit overnight
- first thing in the morning, adjust all the tires to the same value
- monitor the results and keep in mind that most gauges/sensors have a variance tolarance of +/- 1psi. I would not worry about that but if one drops 5 psi, that could be a leak on the valve or something.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
[OP]
Apr 15, 2020
4 posts
hightech wrote: my suggestion would be the following:

- add a few psi to each tire
- let the car sit overnight
- first thing in the morning, adjust all the tires to the same value
- monitor the results and keep in mind that most gauges/sensors have a variance tolarance of +/- 1psi. I would not worry about that but if one drops 5 psi, that could be a leak on the valve or something.
Thanks @hitech. It was a good idea. I measured the tire pressure again on next day, it was like:

Front Tier: 36.8 and 36.1
Rear Tier: 37.1 and 37.8

It was measured when tire was cold.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15145 posts
3492 upvotes
Toronto
JyotiC44937 wrote: Thanks @hitech. It was a good idea. I measured the tire pressure again on next day, it was like:

Front Tier: 36.8 and 36.1
Rear Tier: 37.1 and 37.8

It was measured when tire was cold.
I would suggest you also adjust the values to exactly the same across all tires in the morning and let the onboard system measure the pressure. This way you don't lose 1/2 lb to 1 lb every time you put the gauge to the valves.

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

Jun 10, 2008
466 posts
334 upvotes
Halton Hills
1.5psi spread. I'd consider that acceptable.
[OP]
Apr 15, 2020
4 posts
hightech wrote: I would suggest you also adjust the values to exactly the same across all tires in the morning and let the onboard system measure the pressure. This way you don't lose 1/2 lb to 1 lb every time you put the gauge to the valves.
Thank you @hitech . I will do that. I was just wondering if driving with that 1.5psi less pressure in front tires than that of rear tires is going to cause any problem in suspension, tires and/or drivetrain, controls etc.?

Just to note, I drive in Toronto.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15145 posts
3492 upvotes
Toronto
JyotiC44937 wrote: Thank you @hitech . I will do that. I was just wondering if driving with that 1.5psi less pressure in front tires than that of rear tires is going to cause any problem in suspension, tires and/or drivetrain, controls etc.?

Just to note, I drive in Toronto.
I don't think it makes much of a difference. 5 psi each yes.

Car Buying Tips & Tricks