Unfinished basement water leak

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2019 11:26 pm
[OP]
Apr 30, 2007
216 posts
80 upvotes

Unfinished basement water leak

Hi all, looking to see if anyone has seen this in an unfinished basement. A couple of days ago, I noticed that some water leaked into the unfinished basement and pooled next to the furnace. Upon inspection, I found two wooden planks that are embedded in the cement behind the laundry washer. It seems the source of the water was from that spot but I cannot be certain. The next day everything looked dry and there didn't seem to be any water stains. It's the first time seeing the wood and this is the first time a water leak has happened since moving in last winter. Are the wooden planks normal in a build and does it have any purpose? I hope it's not to plug some hole in the concrete.

https://imgur.com/a/usoELk3
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga
willfunguy wrote: Hi all, looking to see if anyone has seen this in an unfinished basement. A couple of days ago, I noticed that some water leaked into the unfinished basement and pooled next to the furnace. Upon inspection, I found two wooden planks that are embedded in the cement behind the laundry washer. It seems the source of the water was from that spot but I cannot be certain. The next day everything looked dry and there didn't seem to be any water stains. It's the first time seeing the wood and this is the first time a water leak has happened since moving in last winter. Are the wooden planks normal in a build and does it have any purpose? I hope it's not to plug some hole in the concrete.

I am not close to an expert but I have never saw this wood set up.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
808 upvotes
Waterloo
willfunguy wrote: Hi all, looking to see if anyone has seen this in an unfinished basement. A couple of days ago, I noticed that some water leaked into the unfinished basement and pooled next to the furnace. Upon inspection, I found two wooden planks that are embedded in the cement behind the laundry washer. It seems the source of the water was from that spot but I cannot be certain. The next day everything looked dry and there didn't seem to be any water stains. It's the first time seeing the wood and this is the first time a water leak has happened since moving in last winter. Are the wooden planks normal in a build and does it have any purpose? I hope it's not to plug some hole in the concrete.

Did you look into the laundry sink for leaks or as a source for the water?

Also there is a crack there. I would suspect that also since it apears to have water marks on it.

Las of all, its behind the washer dryer. Is it possible that the washer is responsible.
----
Pay it forward.
[OP]
Apr 30, 2007
216 posts
80 upvotes
Supahhh wrote: Did you look into the laundry sink for leaks or as a source for the water?

Also there is a crack there. I would suspect that also since it apears to have water marks on it.

Las of all, its behind the washer dryer. Is it possible that the washer is responsible.
It's possible that the leak is coming from the washer. I did use the washer the same night I discovered the leak, however I checked and drainage pipe from the washer goes right into the sink. I'll have to keep an eye the next time I use the washer. I checked the crack beside the wooden plank when the leak happened and it was dry.