Home & Garden

Unilock vs Permacon Pavers for interlocking patio and driveway?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2021 9:42 pm
[OP]
Member
Dec 19, 2004
222 posts
15 upvotes

Unilock vs Permacon Pavers for interlocking patio and driveway?

Hi,

I'm planning to interlock my driveway and patio and I'm been looking at Unilock Windmere Smooth vs Permacon Kensington Smooth.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether Unilock or Permacon is better and which is the better quality? I don't know too much about pavers so would like to hear some opinions. Are both good for the driveway?

Thanks,
Jeff
23 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 5, 2005
3424 posts
1285 upvotes
Toronto
I used Windermere smooth for my driveway granite blend this summer. The permacon smooth doesn't look smooth on the spec sheet. Unilock has a rebate too. Supply seems to be an issue.
Member
Mar 14, 2018
473 posts
477 upvotes
I went to a stone yard to see different types but couldn't really tell whether one is better than the other. Both Unilock and Permacon seem to be in the same tier.
As the above poster said, the supply is an issue and you may not be able to get your preferred model so keep your options open.
[OP]
Member
Dec 19, 2004
222 posts
15 upvotes
Hi, I'm also looking at granite blend Windermere smooth. Would it be possible to share a couple of pics of your driveway? I would love to see it. Close up and far would be cool to see. Thanks!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 5, 2005
3424 posts
1285 upvotes
Toronto
Here's a picture when the interlocking is wet. Looks totally different than when it's dry.

Pavers seem to chip more easily.

Where are you located OP. As these seem to be backordered.
Images
  • interlock.jpg
[OP]
Member
Dec 19, 2004
222 posts
15 upvotes
croyd wrote: Hi, I'm also looking at granite blend Windermere smooth. Would it be possible to share a couple of pics of your driveway? I would love to see it. Close up and far would be cool to see. Thanks!
I'm located in Richmond Hill. My contractor mentioned that Windermere may be more available than the Permacon Kensington. Are you seeing the Windermere chipping on your driveway? Thanks.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 5, 2005
3424 posts
1285 upvotes
Toronto
croyd wrote: I'm located in Richmond Hill. My contractor mentioned that Windermere may be more available than the Permacon Kensington. Are you seeing the Windermere chipping on your driveway? Thanks.
Installing these recently and some minor chipping on the edges. Something I would notice but others not so much.

I ended up ordering my pavers in Scarborough after most were out of stock. Delivered directly by Unilock from Kitchener.

There is also a rebate from Unilock on driveway pavers. Are you getting a good price on install?
[OP]
Member
Dec 19, 2004
222 posts
15 upvotes
GSD wrote: Installing these recently and some minor chipping on the edges. Something I would notice but others not so much.

I ended up ordering my pavers in Scarborough after most were out of stock. Delivered directly by Unilock from Kitchener.

There is also a rebate from Unilock on driveway pavers. Are you getting a good price on install?
I have a contractor I’m talking to but I don’t know what a good price is. He seems to be middle of the road. The cheaper contractors don’t seem to want to dig to deep and a lot of them say they will use my current asphalt base so they won’t dig deep. My guy is definitely more expensive but he said he will dig at least 9” in the back and 12” in front.

You wouldn’t have any pics of your driveway in a dry state would you? I went to a supplier yesterday and the Windermere looks darker than I thought.

Thanks!
Sr. Member
Nov 10, 2003
810 posts
191 upvotes
@croyd, you mind DM'ing me the contractor you're using? I'm located in Richmond Hill and am looking into getting my driveway done.

My neighbour just got his done and I noticed their contractor simply removed the old asphalt and a minor layer of soil to level the interlock with the sidewalk - no additional digging. Not certain if this is the right or wrong way to do it, so any input from the RFD community would be great.
[OP]
Member
Dec 19, 2004
222 posts
15 upvotes
DC5R wrote: @croyd, you mind DM'ing me the contractor you're using? I'm located in Richmond Hill and am looking into getting my driveway done.

My neighbour just got his done and I noticed their contractor simply removed the old asphalt and a minor layer of soil to level the interlock with the sidewalk - no additional digging. Not certain if this is the right or wrong way to do it, so any input from the RFD community would be great.
I pm'd you the contractor.
Newbie
Aug 9, 2021
1 posts
GSD wrote: Installing these recently and some minor chipping on the edges. Something I would notice but others not so much.

I ended up ordering my pavers in Scarborough after most were out of stock. Delivered directly by Unilock from Kitchener.

There is also a rebate from Unilock on driveway pavers. Are you getting a good price on install?
Thank you very much for this information.

I have been trying really hard to look for cheap Windermere and my motivation just dropped a whole bunch after I saw "chipping".

Do you think its going to be a real issue considering the cruel winter here in Toronto?

According to Unilock's website, "chipping resulting from snow removal" are not covered by the warranty.

Nevertheless, I do notice that triple H Covinton is quite a lot harder than Windermere. But the less than 60mm thickness makes me worried about using it for driveways. What do you think?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6716 posts
1226 upvotes
You need 80mm for driveway. Don't go with 60mm as it's not designed to support vehicle weight.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1157 posts
542 upvotes
We just did our backyard with Unilock. Looks good.
Make sure your contractor 1) puts down a good base 2) uses a compactor to ensure the polymeric sand sinks in and there are no gaps. 3) Fills polymeric sand in dry weather. 4) pay particular attention to the edges and plan around water runoff.
I believe you seal it the next year.
Sr. Member
Jul 22, 2015
610 posts
199 upvotes
Ontario
GSD wrote: Here's a picture when the interlocking is wet. Looks totally different than when it's dry.

Pavers seem to chip more easily.

Where are you located OP. As these seem to be backordered.
Do you find that the surface is slippery when it's wet? These are the stones I wanted to get, but I don't want my kids slipping.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 5, 2005
3424 posts
1285 upvotes
Toronto
Only been installed a week so no idea on slippery issues.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 5, 2005
3424 posts
1285 upvotes
Toronto
golden wrote: You need 80mm for driveway. Don't go with 60mm as it's not designed to support vehicle weight.
60mm is fine for smaller pavers on a driveway. 70mm and up is sufficient for bigger pavers on driveways.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 5, 2005
3424 posts
1285 upvotes
Toronto
Stephhhen wrote: Thank you very much for this information.

I have been trying really hard to look for cheap Windermere and my motivation just dropped a whole bunch after I saw "chipping".

Do you think its going to be a real issue considering the cruel winter here in Toronto?

According to Unilock's website, "chipping resulting from snow removal" are not covered by the warranty.

Nevertheless, I do notice that triple H Covinton is quite a lot harder than Windermere. But the less than 60mm thickness makes me worried about using it for driveways. What do you think?
If you are going to stay at your current place I would not go with Triple H Covington. Its 60mm slab type and I was recommended not to get it for my driveway. If you use a plastic shovel the Unilock should be fine for snow shovelling or a rubber auger snow blower.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 5, 2005
3424 posts
1285 upvotes
Toronto
croyd wrote: I have a contractor I’m talking to but I don’t know what a good price is. He seems to be middle of the road. The cheaper contractors don’t seem to want to dig to deep and a lot of them say they will use my current asphalt base so they won’t dig deep. My guy is definitely more expensive but he said he will dig at least 9” in the back and 12” in front.

You wouldn’t have any pics of your driveway in a dry state would you? I went to a supplier yesterday and the Windermere looks darker than I thought.

Thanks!
Current driveway 3/4 crush base is fine if there hasn't been much movement in the past. Typically layers of gravel need to be removed to cover the size of the paver and then levelled apply a geotextile for drainage and then a bedding layer e.g., HPB. Avoid anyone who wants to use limestone screening or sand as a bedding layer.
[OP]
Member
Dec 19, 2004
222 posts
15 upvotes
GSD wrote: Current driveway 3/4 crush base is fine if there hasn't been much movement in the past. Typically layers of gravel need to be removed to cover the size of the paver and then levelled apply a geotextile for drainage and then a bedding layer e.g., HPB. Avoid anyone who wants to use limestone screening or sand as a bedding layer.
I was just confirming with the contractor about the depth for the driveway and he just mentioned that he made a mistake and said that they will just take the asphalt out and will do leveling, then lay stones. I believe there will be alyer of HPB but I'll need to confirm that. Is that acceptable? I always though they needed to dig deeper to ensure no movement later.

Top