• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2015 12:04 pm
[OP]
Nov 9, 2014
37 posts
14 upvotes
Brampton, ON

Union vs non union electrician apprenticeship

I've read all kinds of things online and it's hard to make heads or tales of things. Essentially I applied for an apprenticeship with the electrician union in the Toronto area and didn't get accepted.

Their process for taking applications means I could be waiting up until the end of the year just to apply again so I was looking at possibly finding a non union apprenticeship. To give a bit of background I'm in my late 20s and have all the required marks for the unionized program.

So for those who have educated opinions and can put forth most of their bias, what are the pros and cons of each and is it worth it to go non-union?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2169 posts
294 upvotes
Toronto
you can do non union and switch over to union. just make sure you track your hours and get your boss to sign off on them. that's what my buddy did
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2012
1379 posts
176 upvotes
AB
non-union pays less in general in most places but non-union sector might also have more work. in Toronto I think the union generally does a ton of high rise buildings but I'm not so sure they even touch residential new construction (they might, don't quote me on that). But I would say in general your residential guys are non Union. Commercial is fairly split (meaning offices, schools, stores, warehouses, etc. There are also options like industrial service electricians, some dual ticket with welding, instrumentation or millwrghting. Being a non Union electrician isn't necessarily bad don't let that throw you off. I work non Union in AB and have worked on big box stores, warehouses, hotels, condos and chemical storage plants.
[OP]
Nov 9, 2014
37 posts
14 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Thank you for the responses. So if I was to try to go non-union, are there any tips or information you guys can give me in terms of finding a company? Is it just a matter of cold calling places I find online or are there any resources that will help?

Also, I have the fear when changing careers of choosing the right place so I don't have to go crawling back to my retail job while I look for another position. I've heard that some places can not count your hours or screw you over so they get cheap labour. What kind of things should I be weary of when searching for a company and what to ask or do before I start so I minimize the risk?
Feb 18, 2007
11 posts
Hey guys any suggestions or advice?

Also, has anyone gone through the government for assistance for this? I saw on their website that you can contact them to help you find an apprenticeship.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2012
1379 posts
176 upvotes
AB
london_calling wrote: Hey guys any suggestions or advice?

Also, has anyone gone through the government for assistance for this? I saw on their website that you can contact them to help you find an apprenticeship.
link?
Feb 18, 2007
11 posts
FriesandSteak wrote: In that link you provided it shows you the apprenticesearch.com.. but anyways, main point (irrelevant) about your post. Apprenticeshipsearch is actually shutting down.

http://www.apprenticesearch.com/userfil ... 202014.pdf

Just a heads up :)
I know, I read the page. It isn't very helpful when they don't allow you to join and make use of it which is why I'm here asking questions.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5497 posts
1382 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Cannot speak for TO, but in AB non-Union generally pays less, may not always have pension benefits, but may have work.
Consultant, Operator/Trucker
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Road Construction
  • Tax & Finance
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)