Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
United & Air Canada

YMMV YYZ (Toronto) to KIX (Osaka) Japan. Business Class Return Flights <$4K CDN in the summer. United and Air Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2023 11:34 am
Dec 13, 2007
102 posts
191 upvotes

YMMV YYZ (Toronto) to KIX (Osaka) Japan. Business Class Return Flights <$4K CDN in the summer. United and Air Canada

Deal Link:
Savings:
>50%
Retailer:
United & Air Canada
Noticed many summer business class return flights from Toronto to Osaka for under <$4K ($3867) CDN including taxes in the summer.

i.e. July 31th UA565 YYZ-SFO then UAS35 SFO-KIX
Aug 12th UA34 KIX-SFO then AC744 SFO-YYZ
United Japan.png

Air Canada also just lowered their price to $3899CDN transferring in YVR for those who have been complaining about United.
Air Canada Japan.png

Many other date and schedule combinations in July, August, and Sept at same prices; various layover times as well. Use GoogleFlights to find. I tried just United's website and was hard to find them there.

I know $4K is still a lot of money but lie-flat seats for the trans-Pacific flights; Air Canada is Dreamliner

Update! I was able to book with Air Canada. Lie-flat all the way through even the YYZ-YVR portions!
Last edited by hankcanada on Feb 26th, 2023 5:25 pm, edited 21 times in total.
36 replies
Jan 10, 2017
160 posts
1296 upvotes
GTA and GVA (Back an…
Worst international business class in the game if I’m being very honest. You get what you pay for, but I guess it’s okay if the scheduling works out.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2321 posts
393 upvotes
North York
$3700 for J to Japan is not a bad deal for sure - but this particular routing warrants some caution:

- The business class is essentially only 2/3 of the trip. The journey from YYZ to SFO (5 hours) is domestic business which is not a lie flat seat
- The transit via SFO for two hours can be tight. You will need to collect your bag, checking it in at baggage transfer and clear custom
- Need to clear US immigration in YYZ

In any case, not sure here if the appeal of lie flat seat for 11 hours is worth all the hassle. Flight to Japan was particularly cheap few weeks back ($1400 for direct flight in econ), I would take that any day.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2016
3273 posts
5843 upvotes
Toronto
Ethan15 wrote: $3700 for J to Japan is not a bad deal for sure - but this particular routing warrants some caution:

- The business class is essentially only 2/3 of the trip. The journey from YYZ to SFO (5 hours) is domestic business which is not a lie flat seat
- The transit via SFO for two hours can be tight. You will need to collect your bag, checking it in at baggage transfer and clear custom
- Need to clear US immigration in YYZ

In any case, not sure here if the appeal of lie flat seat for 11 hours is worth all the hassle. Flight to Japan was particularly cheap few weeks back ($1400 for direct flight in econ), I would take that any day.
Might be worth all the hassle if it's ANA The Room / JAL.. Not a fan of United J
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
2211 posts
4308 upvotes
Berczy Park
Also check Amex IAP if you have a plat card. Im seeing $3200 on JAL YYZ-KIX on the same date as OP. YYZ-ORD segments are in Y on AA but rest in J on JAL. Should be other dates too.

Unfortunately, the booking class is I so only around 10K for Alaska earnings or 15ishK for AsiaMiles.
Images
  • Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 12.55.48 AM.png
  • Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 12.59.28 AM.png
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
7387 posts
3683 upvotes
GTA
donttoewsmebro wrote: Also check Amex IAP if you have a plat card. Im seeing $3200 on JAL YYZ-KIX on the same date as OP. YYZ-ORD segments are in Y on AA but rest in J on JAL. Should be other dates too.

Unfortunately, the booking class is I so only around 10K for Alaska earnings or 15ishK for AsiaMiles.
2 stops, that alone has too many risk factors to ruin your trip :P
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
2211 posts
4308 upvotes
Berczy Park
cy wrote: 2 stops, that alone has too many risk factors to ruin your trip :P
I'm sure you could spend the night before in Chicago if you play around with the routing and are worried about missing that flight. The Haneda stop extra is but you're already in Japan. Connecting in ORD is no biggie, done it many times and doing it again Monday afternoon connecting onto ANAs The Room Smiling Face With Open Mouth.

There is a reoccurring sale, NYC-Tokyo-SE Asia round trip on Japan Airlines for ~2700 CAD (through Amex IAP)which earns you a one-way in business to Asia if you credit to Alaska Airlines. If anyone's interested in keeping an eye out for a future trip.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
7387 posts
3683 upvotes
GTA
donttoewsmebro wrote: I'm sure you could spend the night before in Chicago if you play around with the routing and are worried about missing that flight. The Haneda stop extra is but you're already in Japan. Connecting in ORD is no biggie, done it many times and doing it again Monday afternoon connecting onto ANAs The Room Smiling Face With Open Mouth.

There is a reoccurring sale, NYC-Tokyo-SE Asia round trip on Japan Airlines for ~2700 CAD (through Amex IAP)which earns you a one-way in business to Asia if you credit to Alaska Airlines. If anyone's interested in keeping an eye out for a future trip.
That's true. Tons of options for domestic once you are landed in HND. This can be a good alternative to just Tokyo since everyone hates NRT (myself included). Had to do NRT in Dec, the first time since pandemic and the commute into the city easily add another 1-1.5hr into the travel time each way. Lucky I was in J so it wasn't all that bad. Going to do it again in March and the leg between Narita and Tokyo is my least favourite part lol.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2017
1284 posts
1568 upvotes
Kitchener
tempted cuz japans a pretty short hop to manila where im going next week and I could cancel my much more expensive EVA flight.

But yea nah, ill pay the $2850 premium to keep EVA and avoid united poor service and crappy potentially risky connection to manila. (Cost me around $6,700 for eva biz)
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
2211 posts
4308 upvotes
Berczy Park
Eleventeen wrote: tempted cuz japans a pretty short hop to manila where im going next week and I could cancel my much more expensive EVA flight.

But yea nah, ill pay the $2850 premium to keep EVA and avoid united poor service and crappy potentially risky connection to manila. (Cost me around $6,700 for eva biz)
Love EVA but they are getting expensive. One used to be able to grab a SE-Asia-USA for 4k-4.5k CAD return and one way wasn't much more than 1/2 of a round ticket. I just paid what you did for a round trip on a one-way (SE-Asia- Toronto) and I had somewhat flexible dates, so I didn't just pick the most expensive one... prices are getting out of hand! Even SE-Asia to USA returns are now 5.5K CAD w/o a sale it looks like (with EVA). I'm really hoping one ways drop again soon.

One used to grab a ~4ishK CAD rt from SE-Asia to Central America or Mexico (via TPE and JFK). Could have a multi month layover (to pop bak up home to Toronto) then continue to Mexico or CA for a quick few days then catch your return back to Asia.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
Not sure why this is being downvoted as it is a great price.

Been traveling for business last 1.5 years weekly and fares have really gone up in J class.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2017
1284 posts
1568 upvotes
Kitchener
donttoewsmebro wrote: Love EVA but they are getting expensive. One used to be able to grab a SE-Asia-USA for 4k-4.5k CAD return and one way wasn't much more than 1/2 of a round ticket. I just paid what you did for a round trip on a one-way (SE-Asia- Toronto) and I had somewhat flexible dates, so I didn't just pick the most expensive one... prices are getting out of hand! Even SE-Asia to USA returns are now 5.5K CAD w/o a sale it looks like (with EVA). I'm really hoping one ways drop again soon.

One used to grab a ~4ishK CAD rt from SE-Asia to Central America or Mexico (via TPE and JFK). Could have a multi month layover (to pop bak up home to Toronto) then continue to Mexico or CA for a quick few days then catch your return back to Asia.
Ya travel inflation has gotten nuts and a lot more competition for points seats too. I also tried to look for points seats 6 months in advance. Literally nothing unless i wanted some horrible AC with the connection in economy.

Only solution I can see if to make a lot more money.. Working on that .

And yea 6.7k is the discounted book 90+ days in advance price for YYZ to MNL, around 7.5k for there "normal" price.

I just checked and the price has slight gone down to $6300 for booking well in advance . But that's probably just the canadian dollar getting stronger versus the taiwanese coins.

And there sadly isn't any other "good" options. Cathay is still broken because of what china did to them, literally unbookable. Pre corona it was a competitive product. Around 5-10% more expensive, but a slightly better in air experience and a much better airport for the connection.

All other options either have like insane 8+ hour layovers, bringing an already very long 18 hour flight up to 24+ hrs. AC one sometimes has a competitor stop over, but I wouldnt fly AC that long if you paid me. Even EVA premium economy is superior to AC biz.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2017
1284 posts
1568 upvotes
Kitchener
McKinsey wrote: Not sure why this is being downvoted as it is a great price.

Been traveling for business last 1.5 years weekly and fares have really gone up in J class.
Good price for a poor product is still a bad deal. Not worth the bang for buck vs other airlines. Perhaps if it was for united polaris, but its not right?

It's not like your average min wage canadian can afford biz class to Asia... Those of us who can? We can generally save up another 2k to get the experience we want.

Especially if you wanna visit Japan. Japan is not a cheap country to be a tourist at.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 29, 2007
6073 posts
6034 upvotes
No Bum Deals
If vacay, staying home is probably the best option right now.
. 🡻 ԀՈ ⅄∀Ϻ SIHꓕ 🡻
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
2211 posts
4308 upvotes
Berczy Park
zappy312 wrote: When I saw UA, this was the first thing that came to mind:

Uh oh: United updates its policy on mistake fares, gaming the system
I dont recall many United ticketed "too good to be true sales". We need more of that 1K Cathay first class round trip Face With Tears Of Joy. Even got BBCs attention.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46732952
https://thriftytraveler.com/news/airlin ... take-fare/
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2007
1853 posts
1079 upvotes
Toronto
How about save that money and use that money to get a Green JR pass for some Kobe beef in Kobe? Still cheaper
Dec 13, 2007
102 posts
191 upvotes
Update! I was able to book with Air Canada. Lie-flat all the way through even the YYZ-YVR portions!