United Airlines - poor service

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2021 8:27 am
[OP]
May 13, 2018
160 posts
42 upvotes

United Airlines - poor service

I should have known better but was attracted to the premium economy pricing. My flight is suppose to allow changes and United refused to make applicable changes to ensure I am able to go home to Canada. I am not a US citizen and apparently I am unable to transit thru US even if I am fully vaccinated and can provide a negative PCR test.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4918 posts
1511 upvotes
Mississauga
They allow changes, you just have to pay the difference in fare prices, which is normal airline practices.

The US has not allowed many EU and Asian countries to fly in if you're not a US residence for a while.. It's clearly stated on the website for the past year or so. This is on you, not the airlines.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9130 posts
2114 upvotes
Vancouver
If you can’t transit via the USA then what do you expect a USA based airline to do? With very few exception united flights are always going to end up to/from USA.

I suppose you were expecting them to put you on another star alliance flight?
Autocorrect sucks
Aug 19, 2015
65 posts
67 upvotes
Ajax, ON
JoJoC93704 wrote: I should have known better but was attracted to the premium economy pricing. My flight is suppose to allow changes and United refused to make applicable changes to ensure I am able to go home to Canada. I am not a US citizen and apparently I am unable to transit thru US even if I am fully vaccinated and can provide a negative PCR test.
wait, WHAT? I dont understand. Youre not allowed to FLY within USA because youre not american?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9595 posts
1567 upvotes
Montreal, QC
It's frustrating but international travel right now is very much out of airlines' hands and in the hands of each government. United isn't responsible if you don't meet the requirements of entry of one of the places your itinerary goes through. If I was in the US and had an antigen instead of a PCR and Air Canada didn't let me into Canada, it's not their problem (or their responsibility to find me another flight), it's mine for not doing the legwork for where I'm going.

I'd recommend booking only direct flights if you can in the short term to avoid any kind of weird stories with borders as I've heard a few even here on RFD.

That being said, this is the first time I hear about a specific requirement that forbids transiting through the US since like you mentioned, to enter the US if you have a negative test and are vaccinated they will let you in so I'm surprised transiting has different rules.
Oct 31, 2012
646 posts
906 upvotes
Toronto
uber_shnitz wrote: That being said, this is the first time I hear about a specific requirement that forbids transiting through the US since like you mentioned, to enter the US if you have a negative test and are vaccinated they will let you in so I'm surprised transiting has different rules.
There are a fair amount countries including many Europeans at the moment that the USA won't allow you to enter from (in the last 14 days) unless you are American.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4918 posts
1511 upvotes
Mississauga
Vako636 wrote: wait, WHAT? I dont understand. Youre not allowed to FLY within USA because youre not american?
You can fly domestic, but OP is flying from an international origin, i.e. France, that is not allowed to enter US unless you are living in the US.
Jul 30, 2015
801 posts
756 upvotes
Thats why you fly on Canadian airlines Winking Face
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Banned
Dec 1, 2020
862 posts
340 upvotes
Moderators lick khun…
Travel during a pandemic and expect to have some bumps and pay more. Oh well. If you travel during a pandemic and are trying to be on the cheap you should probably just stay home.