219 upvotes

[United.ca] UA: YYZ - HKG $640 return for Jan - May 2020

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
United.ca
More offers from United.ca
Lot of date available!

Just did a google flight search and came across..

https://www.google.com/flights?hl=en#fl ... 1;sd:1;t:f

enjoy!
44 replies
Jan 2, 2017
399 posts
555 upvotes
I don't think you could even pay anyone to go to Hong Kong right now my friend...
[OP]
Aug 4, 2004
438 posts
219 upvotes
patroniton wrote: I don't think you could even pay anyone to go to Hong Kong right now my friend...
You maybe right but there are many families like to go back for the CNY, it is still a deal to someone.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
1569 posts
378 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting promo in light of the fact United has been cutting flights to HK. Trying to drum up some business?

https://onemileatatime.com/united-scale ... g-flights/
How I try to save money: Zoomer Wireless $36 4GB LTE / Teksavvy rCable $64 100 / Freephoneline $0 / No TV! / Flipp
How I try to make money: Stack Mastercard / Amex Biz Plat & Cobalt / GCR / Rakuten / Plastiq / Paymi
Aug 12, 2011
414 posts
195 upvotes
Toronto
Damn thought these were direct nonstop prices. Price not that hot for connecting
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3186 posts
866 upvotes
Mississauga
this thread is makin' me hungry for some hong kong style lobster.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1073 posts
1105 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Not only you can get beat up in HK, you can also get beat up on the plane...
Sounds like a winning combo

----

But jokes aside, this deal is pretty good.. maybe in by April...
Jan 19, 2017
75 posts
78 upvotes
I have family in both Kowloon and on the Island. No issues as long as one goes about their business in the non-protest areas. Parent's friends have gone back twice in 6 months and same advice: do your thing in the non-protest areas and it's safe and sound.

Anyway..... I have done the SFO layover from Asia albeit with different airlines and the hours pass like a breeze.
Jul 2, 2009
97 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
futabasan wrote: Not really, it was not safe for a good couple of months, especially recently until Trump signed the democracy act (it's better now).

Source: Family and friends in HK.
It was completely safe even the last couple of months. Activists blocking roads and the MTR was annoying but otherwise safe and life as usual.

Source: I was there last month
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2014
1176 posts
350 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'd totally go if I could get some $600 direct flights... I'd take my kid to HK Disney and hang out there the entire time :)
Nov 23, 2008
164 posts
86 upvotes
This is a good deal at $640, 1-2 hrs layover is completely doable and will pass by quickly. With regards to safety in HK, it is still very safe despite the protests. Again, exercise caution and try to avoid the protest areas or wearing black clothing and you will be fine.
Mar 23, 2004
42089 posts
8156 upvotes
Markham
RFD6482 wrote: I'd totally go if I could get some $600 direct flights... I'd take my kid to HK Disney and hang out there the entire time :)
I wouldnt mind connecting if I dont have to pass through the States, if through Taiwan, much better imo.

Please keep on topic about this deal, any posts that talks about the protests only will be deleted. Discuss those in the Political forum.
Dec 5, 2009
366 posts
170 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: I wouldnt mind connecting if I dont have to pass through the States, if through Taiwan, much better imo.

Please keep on topic about this deal, any posts that talks about the protests only will be deleted. Discuss those in the Political forum.
SFO isn't a bad layover at all. The only extra hassle is US customs but if you have nexus it's easy. The only UA hub to avoid for layovers is LAX (and if it's winter also ORD and EWR due to delays)
Mar 23, 2004
42089 posts
8156 upvotes
Markham
qszwdxefc wrote: SFO isn't a bad layover at all. The only extra hassle is US customs but if you have nexus it's easy. The only UA hub to avoid for layovers is LAX (and if it's winter also ORD and EWR due to delays)
Never tried that, but have been to newark and o'hare, and almost miss my flights/faced a few very close calls due to customs.