Expired Hot Deals

[United.ca] UA: YYZ - HKG $640 return for Jan - May 2020

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2019 2:26 pm
Dec 30, 2017
143 posts
127 upvotes
CaptainSnake wrote: It was completely safe even the last couple of months. Activists blocking roads and the MTR was annoying but otherwise safe and life as usual.

Source: I was there last month
I was there in October 2x, evidence of vandalism but no real issues and saw no confrontations. Like anywhere in the world, avoid areas with demonstrations.

On the plus side, midrange hotels are heavily discounting, and HK is an expensive place to visit- unfortunately I prepaid.

Connecting through SFO is better than ORD.
Sep 21, 2009
38 posts
13 upvotes
GTA
qszwdxefc wrote: SFO isn't a bad layover at all. The only extra hassle is US customs but if you have nexus it's easy. The only UA hub to avoid for layovers is LAX (and if it's winter also ORD and EWR due to delays)
Have missed a connecting flight with 2 hour layover in SFO despite flight arriving early due to very slow customs in the last year- just a data point for thought
Mar 7, 2008
630 posts
158 upvotes
Leask
Was in HK last week.

Is a mess there but you are safe as long as you don’t say stuff to the black mask protestor...
Feb 26, 2009
200 posts
45 upvotes
Montréal
Just came back from a week long trip in Hong Kong that was booked before the protests started. It was mostly fine aside from the odd subway exit being closed due to vandalism and/or for crowd control. As someone else said, it's a great time to go because there are no crowds or lines for any of the main attractions. In my experience, if you see a protest you can usually just walk to the next street over and shops are open as normal, you come back the next day and all the shops are open. I did meet some tourists who got tear gassed because they decided to hang out around a protest. We didn't see our first protest until 2 days into our trip.
Jul 10, 2019
25 posts
12 upvotes
Honestly... theres legit 80% people in hong kong that are just living their own life and minding their own business, it does affect some major areas at night... but its definitely blown over by now. For those who "scared" of going to hk...
Beep boop
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3743 posts
336 upvotes
Toronto
Like my parents say, don't be young, don't wear white/black/blue, mind your own business, and you'll be fine. And if sh*t hits the fan, just chant "GO POLICE!" because getting beaten by umbrellas are better than batons. /s

But like others said, if you aren't near the protests, things are as normal. Transportation is a bit crippled, but probably still better than TTC. Notify embassy of your travel plans just in case though this is good habit doesn't matter where you go.
[OP]
Aug 4, 2004
458 posts
236 upvotes
Samwfive wrote: Did I miss the flight...?

I chose Jan 10-31 and got the cheapest at $1345 via Newark. Via SFO is $2108. Confused Face
seems like it is now expired. I was checking last night before mid-night and it was still available. I actually re-booked the ticket because it was dropped to $610 on friday night.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1240 posts
1828 upvotes
Canada, eh?
I flew EWR-HKG last week on UA. ~50% flight load, plane was mostly empty and everyone had a dedicated row to themselves.
EWR-HKG frequency is being cut though, IIRC it's being cut to 3x per week.

ORD-HKG has been terminated since October I believe.

SFO-HKG is still normal primarily due to Apple employees traveling in business class.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1240 posts
1828 upvotes
Canada, eh?
thephenom wrote: Like my parents say, don't be young, don't wear white/black/blue, mind your own business, and you'll be fine. And if sh*t hits the fan, just chant "GO POLICE!" because getting beaten by umbrellas are better than batons. /s

But like others said, if you aren't near the protests, things are as normal. Transportation is a bit crippled, but probably still better than TTC. Notify embassy of your travel plans just in case though this is good habit doesn't matter where you go.

This is so true lol.

As long you are well informed and up to date on the daily outlooks for HK, you'll be fine. The media exaggerates on whats going on in HKG.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2743 posts
753 upvotes
Scarborough
cellsell wrote: seems like it is now expired. I was checking last night before mid-night and it was still available. I actually re-booked the ticket because it was dropped to $610 on friday night.
I should relinquish the RFD membership card....

I'm sure you're not rubbing it in with $610?

BTW how do you "rebook" ? Not a globetrotter here.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
6284 posts
1185 upvotes
Its a free live show. It might even include the audience.

On the real though, no lines to get WONTON SOUP!

Is the deal dead? I only see $850+
Last edited by 1xTiMeR on Dec 2nd, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
8120 posts
487 upvotes
ekinjil wrote: Welcome to AYCE Tear Gas Zone?
Freshly imported from China.

It is actually not that bad though. Most people still carry a normal life regardless of who they support. Just make sure always support police if you are somehow stuck in the middle - they may both beat you up, but the police will also throw you in a jail (and perhaps more beatings) and charge you for assaulting them with no consequence to themselves.
October 2015 for sale, PM for details!
PS3 EA Sports Active 2 $20
195-65-15 Winter tire with alloy wheel $500
[OP]
Aug 4, 2004
458 posts
236 upvotes
Samwfive wrote:
I should relinquish the RFD membership card....

I'm sure you're not rubbing it in with $610?

BTW how do you "rebook" ? Not a globetrotter here.
While booking directly with UA there is free cancellation within 24 hours. I took advantage of that.
Feb 28, 2006
239 posts
217 upvotes
qszwdxefc wrote: SFO isn't a bad layover at all. The only extra hassle is US customs but if you have nexus it's easy. The only UA hub to avoid for layovers is LAX (and if it's winter also ORD and EWR due to delays)
I've transit thru the US with United twice this year: once thru ORD to HKG, the other time thru SFO, let's just say I wish I didn't.

My flight to ORD was in the winter and it was delayed 3 hours, causing me to miss my connecting flight to HKG by literally minutes. Since there is only 1 flight a day, it was impossible for me to catch another flight the same day. It also had a cascading effect of squeezing my HK stay from 2 days to a few hours before I head to Taipei, defeating my original purpose of flying to HKG in the first place. They also did not have any free spots for the ORD to HKG flight the next day, so they suggested:
  1. fly me to EWR the next day to connect to yet another flight to HKG
  2. fly me to Frankfurt to connect to HKG
  3. fly me back to YYZ and back to HKG
I almost blew my top. Eventually I worked out a flight from ORD to Taipei instead, since that was my next destination anyway. It was a painful debate.

My other flight thru SFO was less eventful, but I still had to get out and back in security with my luggage. And the TSA sucks.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3743 posts
336 upvotes
Toronto
quantized light wrote: I've transit thru the US with United twice this year: once thru ORD to HKG, the other time thru SFO, let's just say I wish I didn't.

My flight to ORD was in the winter and it was delayed 3 hours, causing me to miss my connecting flight to HKG by literally minutes. Since there is only 1 flight a day, it was impossible for me to catch another flight the same day. It also had a cascading effect of squeezing my HK stay from 2 days to a few hours before I head to Taipei, defeating my original purpose of flying to HKG in the first place. They also did not have any free spots for the ORD to HKG flight the next day, so they suggested:
  1. fly me to EWR the next day to connect to yet another flight to HKG
  2. fly me to Frankfurt to connect to HKG
  3. fly me back to YYZ and back to HKG
I almost blew my top. Eventually I worked out a flight from ORD to Taipei instead, since that was my next destination anyway. It was a painful debate.

My other flight thru SFO was less eventful, but I still had to get out and back in security with my luggage. And the TSA sucks.
That's why every experienced traveler avoid O'Hare at alllll cost.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2584 posts
2418 upvotes
The issue is not that past people that visited HK think it's safe.. The issue is there is still a risk that you never know if you are unlucky one. Just because you avoid the most popular protest area doesn't necessarily mean that it's safe. Everyone visiting should still be cautious and alert.

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/hong-kong
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1495 posts
337 upvotes
Ottawa
640$ in US dollars or Canadian dollars?