Expired Hot Deals

[United.ca] UA: YYZ - HKG $640 return for Jan - May 2020

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2019 2:26 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2007
3265 posts
1161 upvotes
cf7777 wrote: 640$ in US dollars or Canadian dollars?
1. This is about a week old; the price point isnt avail anymore (if you had just clicked OP's link)

2. Is it really that hard to click the link to figure out if its usd or cad? lol
Feb 28, 2006
239 posts
217 upvotes
thephenom wrote: That's why every experienced traveler avoid O'Hare at alllll cost.
I would say avoid transit thru the US as much as you can.

For this case, I don't see how it's specifically ORD, when the flight was delayed because of the plane / airline itself.

Although sometimes the price difference is so much, almost half price, it's hard to make the case to pay double for direct, being RFDers and all.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3742 posts
336 upvotes
Toronto
quantized light wrote: I would say avoid transit thru the US as much as you can.

For this case, I don't see how it's specifically ORD, when the flight was delayed because of the plane / airline itself.

Although sometimes the price difference is so much, almost half price, it's hard to make the case to pay double for direct, being RFDers and all.
Because ORD is a huge flight hub, delays are a very normal occurrence, that's why no one who travels for business would go through ORD unless they absolutely have to. Experienced travelers have nexus, so connecting through the US isn't any different from connecting anywhere else in the world. In fact, with TSA pre-check, Nexus scans, it's probably easier than connecting through other flight hubs.
Dec 5, 2009
366 posts
170 upvotes
quantized light wrote: I've transit thru the US with United twice this year: once thru ORD to HKG, the other time thru SFO, let's just say I wish I didn't.

My flight to ORD was in the winter and it was delayed 3 hours, causing me to miss my connecting flight to HKG by literally minutes. Since there is only 1 flight a day, it was impossible for me to catch another flight the same day. It also had a cascading effect of squeezing my HK stay from 2 days to a few hours before I head to Taipei, defeating my original purpose of flying to HKG in the first place. They also did not have any free spots for the ORD to HKG flight the next day, so they suggested:
  1. fly me to EWR the next day to connect to yet another flight to HKG
  2. fly me to Frankfurt to connect to HKG
  3. fly me back to YYZ and back to HKG
I almost blew my top. Eventually I worked out a flight from ORD to Taipei instead, since that was my next destination anyway. It was a painful debate.

My other flight thru SFO was less eventful, but I still had to get out and back in security with my luggage. And the TSA sucks.
Sorry to hear about what happened. Agree with @thephenom, avoid ORD at all costs especially in the winter. Actually in the winter I try to avoid all flights involving non-mainline planes since there's often delays with the feeder fleets
quantized light wrote: I would say avoid transit thru the US as much as you can.

Everything's interlinked. Why does Air Canada have one of the worst on time performances while Hawaiian has one of the best? Canadian airports deal with lots of snow while Hawaii is mostly sunshine and rainbows
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2007
3265 posts
1161 upvotes
Adding to ORD.. nothing specific about delays..

But when I took United to coming back from NRT->ORD->YYZ.. , my three check-in luggage got lost and I had to wait 3 weeks before it got sent back home to me. First and only time that I had my luggage lost. So annoying - never will I go through ORD lol