Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2007
3866 posts
1026 upvotes

Universal Child Care Benefit

..all over the news today that the cheques are being mailed out. Does anyone know if the government required a formal application for this, or are families automatically enrolled in this based on previous tax information?
95 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38213 posts
24392 upvotes
Center of Universe
gomyone wrote: ..all over the news today that the cheques are being mailed out. Does anyone know if the government required a formal application for this, or are families automatically enrolled in this based on previous tax information?
If you are already receiving this benefit, it will be automatic.
Penalty Box
Aug 11, 2005
4175 posts
1430 upvotes
Thnk you harper for the money!

This takes the sting out of not being able to fully split income
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2007
3866 posts
1026 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: If you are already receiving this benefit, it will be automatic.
..are you referring to the Child and Family benefit? Only certain income thresholds qualify for that - whereas the Universal Child Care Benefit has no income limit. But how does the gov't determine how they cut the cheques? Is it based on 'dependent' information cited in your tax return?

The reason I am asking is because this "cheque" is supposed to be taxable and I would prefer if it went to my wife than to me (as I have a higher income). But I don't recall either one of us "applying" for it???
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
11404 posts
5766 upvotes
Vaughan
gomyone wrote: ..are you referring to the Child and Family benefit? Only certain income thresholds qualify for that - whereas the Universal Child Care Benefit has no income limit. But how does the gov't determine how they cut the cheques? Is it based on 'dependent' information cited in your tax return?

The reason I am asking is because this "cheque" is supposed to be taxable and I would prefer if it went to my wife than to me (as I have a higher income). But I don't recall either one of us "applying" for it???
No, there was existing UCCB for children aged five and under. So those already registered under that program will receive the boost. Aged 6-17 is new, for which you would probably have to register at a CRA website I presume. I don't have kids, so I don't know, but I did read an article about it. Haha.
Jan 28, 2015
87 posts
350 upvotes
gomyone wrote: ..are you referring to the Child and Family benefit? Only certain income thresholds qualify for that - whereas the Universal Child Care Benefit has no income limit. But how does the gov't determine how they cut the cheques? Is it based on 'dependent' information cited in your tax return?

The payment normally defaults the the female spouse (how progressive!); however, regardless of who actually gets the cash it has to be reported in the income of the spouse with the lower net income.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4429 posts
2629 upvotes
Toronto

Both should already be in your wife's name as that is the default used when you first registered your child. If you both have CRA "my account" access, you should only see the info under her login.

The Universal ($160) benefit, it's calculated based solely on number of eligible dependents (since income is irrelevant).

For the Child Tax Benefit, the following is used to determine the amount you will receive:
Information used to calculate:

- 2014 family net income: XXX
- Marital status: married or living common law
- Province or territory of residence: Ont.
- Eligible children: XXX
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2007
3866 posts
1026 upvotes
kenchau wrote: No, there was existing UCCB for children aged five and under. So those already registered under that program will receive the boost. Aged 6-17 is new, for which you would probably have to register at a CRA website I presume. I don't have kids, so I don't know, but I did read an article about it. Haha.
..we've never been able to qualify for any child tax credits so we've never formally applied to them. But since this is a "universal" child care benefit (and we have two young kids), we might as well apply for it (since Harper is taking our taxes and giving it back to us in the form of a cheque) ;)

I wonder how many people are actually aware that there is this money available to them?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38213 posts
24392 upvotes
Center of Universe

All your answers here: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/uccb/
Quick summary:
▼ Do you qualify for the UCCB?
To receive the UCCB, you must meet the following conditions:
1.You must live with the child, and the child must be under the age of 18.

2.You must be the person who is primarily responsible for the child’s care and upbringing. Primarily responsible means that you are responsible for such things as supervising the child's daily activities and needs, making sure the child's medical needs are met, and arranging for child care when necessary. If there is a female parent who lives with the child, the CRA usually considers her to be this person. However, it could be the father, a grandparent, or a guardian.
Note
You may not be considered primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of a child if the child is legally, physically or financially maintained by a child welfare agency. For more information, go to the Children's Special Allowances (CSA) Fact Sheet or call 1-800-387-1193.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4429 posts
2629 upvotes
Toronto
gomyone wrote: ..we've never been able to qualify for any child tax credits so we've never formally applied to them. But since this is a "universal" child care benefit (and we have two young kids), we might as well apply for it (since Harper is taking our taxes and giving it back to us in the form of a cheque) ;)

I wonder how many people are actually aware that there is this money available to them?
You should have always qualified for the universal benefit. This is not new (as it was introduced back in 2006) and not based on income, only the amount has changed from $100 - $160. The registration is usually done shortly after you actually have the kid, at the same time you register for SIN and birth certificate.

I believe (but not certain) that the UCCB is retroactive, so as long as you qualified you may find yourself getting a lump sum payment going back to when the child was born, of $100 per month.
May 28, 2012
12041 posts
4662 upvotes
Saskatoon
I seem to remember getting a letter several months back informing me about this new child benefit. I think they are moving towards direct deposit rather than sending cheques through the mail, so maybe call them to verify they have the right name and account to send it to.
Dec 12, 2007
771 posts
112 upvotes
The payment is retroactive to January 2015. Regardless who receives it, it is claimed by lowest income earner. Finally something that benefits everyone. Baby got new shoes on the weekend as a result. And yes, the shoes actually are for my 1 year old.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2011
2081 posts
1034 upvotes
VANCOUVER
When you get the letter and check there is a breakdown near the middle. I think it was the last line that says elig dependants and it'll list your kids. If you are missing a child, then you'll need to enroll. I just got my check last Friday. My 2nd child was born in May and they auto enrolled her. I'm not sure from where, but I didn't have to do anything aside from the initial registration stuff after a birth.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
11404 posts
5766 upvotes
Vaughan
rob444 wrote: You should have always qualified for the universal benefit. This is not new (as it was introduced back in 2006) and not based on income, only the amount has changed from $100 - $160. The registration is usually done shortly after you actually have the kid, at the same time you register for SIN and birth certificate.

I believe (but not certain) that the UCCB is retroactive, so as long as you qualified you may find yourself getting a lump sum payment going back to when the child was born, of $100 per month.
It's new for children 6-17 years of age. $60/month.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4429 posts
2629 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote: It's new for children 6-17 years of age. $60/month.
Right but what I mean is that as long as one registered their kids aged 0 - under 6 anytime going back to 2006 (I'm not sure what plan, if any, was in place before that), then the kids and their ages should already be on record with CRA and government should apply the benefits automatically. So any kids under 18 that were previously taken off UCCB after turning 6, should now be put back on without having to re-register.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1421 upvotes
Toronto
rob444 wrote: Right but what I mean is that as long as one registered their kids aged 0 - under 6 anytime going back to 2006 (I'm not sure what plan, if any, was in place before that), then the kids and their ages should already be on record with CRA and government should apply the benefits automatically. So any kids under 18 that were previously taken off UCCB after turning 6, should now be put back on without having to re-register.
Just thought I'd comment, my kids haven't qualified for the UCCB for a number of years, but we received the new benefit in our bank account earlier today no problem.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
7045 posts
4491 upvotes
I am so mad at Harper > :( . We are single income family for 20 years, we paid **** load of taxes. Now my kid is over 20 and he started to give income splitting, and increased child care benefits
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7491 posts
2399 upvotes
0 downvotes
Whats the diff between the universal child care benefit and the baby bonus? my wife gets checks but I think its just for the baby bonus. how do I know im not missing anything ? how many "rebates" are there exist for babys
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2007
3866 posts
1026 upvotes
rob444 wrote: Right but what I mean is that as long as one registered their kids aged 0 - under 6 anytime going back to 2006 (I'm not sure what plan, if any, was in place before that), then the kids and their ages should already be on record with CRA and government should apply the benefits automatically. So any kids under 18 that were previously taken off UCCB after turning 6, should now be put back on without having to re-register.
..my kids were 6 and 2 in 2006 so maybe only the youngest was registered? Its also possible that my wife was already receiving this benefit but because its so negligible she might have completely missed it in her bank account (that's always a possibility but I don't recall her claiming it back on her income taxes either?)

As for "registration" we never actually got anything from the CRA regarding it when the kids were born. Guess I'll have to follow up (first with my wife) and then CRA to see if we need to have this retroactively applied.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3402 posts
3751 upvotes
Montreal
mkl38s wrote: I am so mad at Harper > :( . We are single income family for 20 years, we paid **** load of taxes. Now my kid is over 20 and he started to give income splitting, and increased child care benefits
You're mad because Harper didn't implement this policy *before* he was elected? Shouldn't you be mad at whoever was Prime Minister back then?

Anyway, if your kids are over 20, they'll soon get these benefits as they'll soon be having their own kids.