• Mar 5th, 2006 10:51 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2005
1864 posts
35 upvotes
Scaborough
Look at the program requirements to see what courses you must take to get into the program. Then if you still have room for electives choose some bird courses or a substitute for a required course.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
I graduated from Schulich. The director of accounting used to be Al Rosen, one of the best forensic accountants in Canada. He has since left but their UFE pass rate is still one of the highest of all the schools, to the best of my knowledge.

Schulich is known for its marketing and accounting programs, not so much for investment banking.

If you want to go into accounting give Schulich consideration. Their program is really rigorous.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
2731 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
I chose my courses for next year today, and since I'm aiming at Waterloo, I decided to grab the seven courses rather than four plus a coop.

English
Principals of Financial Accounting
Mathematics of Data Management
Introduction to International Business
Organizational Studies (Human Resources)
Personal Fitness
Exercise Science

A bunch of them are easy as hell.

Now for my second question, to those who are in Waterloo, what was your average, along with your mark with Calculus? I want to know so if I need to, I'll drop Calculus and take it next year since I'm not doing all that well.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2003
1017 posts
50 upvotes
FearSonic wrote:I chose my courses for next year today, and since I'm aiming at Waterloo, I decided to grab the seven courses rather than four plus a coop.

English
Personal Fitness
Exercise Science

Now for my second question, to those who are in Waterloo, what was your average, along with your mark with Calculus? I want to know so if I need to, I'll drop Calculus and take it next year since I'm not doing all that well.
I entered two and a half years ago... my application average was roughly 92-93%. My OAC Calculus was just a bit above that if I remember correctly.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6345 upvotes
Winnipeg
FearSonic wrote:I chose my courses for next year today, and since I'm aiming at Waterloo, I decided to grab the seven courses rather than four plus a coop.

English
Personal Fitness
Exercise Science

72% avg, 59% in calc, calc is really really really easy, I had a bad luck on the final, I knew almost everything. Too bad the final was tested on everything I didn't study for. Sigh.... I wasted so many hours studying laplace transform and the final didn't even metion it.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52939 posts
18153 upvotes
ONTARIO
goffeebeans wrote:Co-op is where its at if you want to get a job in accounting. Have friends doing co-op at waterloo and in their first co-op term at their job placements, they make the same amount as people who already finished their degree. 40-50k. Thats enough to pay for your whole university tuition. Plus each year they get a healthy raise.

It not only pays well if you're struggling with tuition, but as well it can get your foot in the door if you wish to take up a career in accounting.
are you mentioning the merits of co-op based university programs beacuse the poster of this topic mentioned "i cant take co-op next year" if yes.. then damn, RFD ppl really dont read :|

I think he was refering to a High school co-op placement....

And No co-op courses do not count towards University Credits... ITs good expirience and looks AWESOME on your resume tho.

NExt year.. you can take co-op.. But your schedule will be packed.
your allowed to have 8 credits or 8 classes.
take six 12U classes (maximum two 12M courses... but check the universities that you wanna get into to make sure how many M courses they allow...)
and then take the co-op on the side.

unlesss you already have some 12U/M courses previously completed..
just make sure you have a minimum of six 12U/M courses.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
2731 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
I have maybe two or three M courses next year, but I'm sure the U courses will cover for it. I think, and hope. Anyway, UoWaterloo just asks for ENG4U (I took it for next year, plus five Grade 12 U or M courses, final grade of at least 75% in any Grade 12 U English required. Recommended: MCB4U (Calculus), MDM4U (Data Management), BAT4M (Principals of Financial Accounting).

I needed to know what most marks were for Calculus because as it stands, I have a 65-70% in Calculus, which I don't think will be GREAT for my average. The only plus side for this semester is that I'm doing grade 11 accounting and computer technology right now, so it's going to be boosted by those two.

divx, you said you got 59% in Calculus, so I have to wonder if you have amazing community involvement or something, because I don't know if Waterloo would allow me to have 52% in Calculus.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
2731 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
https://www.ca2b.biz/H/becomeCA/creditG ... /index.cfm

I'm looking at that website right now and I'm trying to figure out the difference between Waterloo and U<a href=../autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=140 target=_blank>TSC</a>, as UTSC offers more credits but they both seem to get to CA approval.

What's the difference between MAcc and MBA?
Masters in Accounting and Masters in Business Administration?
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2003
2008 posts
292 upvotes
im in first year now at ottawa U.
they have coop starting in 3rd year and lots of opportunity to switch out of the accounting stream if that ends up not being your thing; which is a huge plus for me since im not sure yet. There is a new building being built for the School of Management and it seems the school is a lot more recognized by businesses than i initially though.

i got into the program at waterloo, its very specialized for accounting. Waterloo is definetly a competitive school and seems like a lot more pressure. One major reason i didnt stay in that program was the costs, the tuition is double that of other programs. it probably is better because of the reputation but I couldnt justify the costs.

im guessing ottawa U its probably a lot easier on the workload and grades and that would be a plus for gettin the CA desigination. Once youre a CA its not going to matter what school you started at.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Schulich is the best, and by far the hardest, from what I know. Get through that, and your education should be 2nd to none in Canada (in your respective field).
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2005
1519 posts
170 upvotes
If you go to Waterloo, make sure you don't stay in the dorm the first year if you're not all for the partying and drinking. It's insane there; don't even think of studying.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
akwok wrote:If you go to Waterloo, make sure you don't stay in the dorm the first year if you're not all for the partying and drinking. It's insane there; don't even think of studying.
Village 1 isn't that bad (and it's a little closer to classes, too). You can choose a "quiet house", if you want.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2005
1519 posts
170 upvotes
Village 1 is the worst! Ahh, I had to move out halfway through the year because people on my floor were partying non stop. You can't sleep till 3:00 a.m. on weekdays, which especially blows when you have to wake up at 8:30 the next day. The doors to the rooms in V1 actually AMPLIFY sound in the halls it seems!

I would have preferred MKV, as at least you can have some compromise with your other 3 roommates.
Deal Guru
Mar 30, 2002
12415 posts
10 upvotes
akwok wrote:Village 1 is the worst! Ahh, I had to move out halfway through the year because people on my floor were partying non stop. You can't sleep till 3:00 a.m. on weekdays, which especially blows when you have to wake up at 8:30 the next day. The doors to the rooms in V1 actually AMPLIFY sound in the halls it seems!

I would have preferred MKV, as at least you can have some compromise with your other 3 roommates.
Damn....I would have been dying to move into a dorm like that...hehe the memories of dorm life...

It's loud and fun, that's why you have libraries to go to when you have to study. I'd take loud/fun rez over a quiet/studious rez any day.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
2731 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Could you guys post your marks in Calculus, Data Management, and your overall averages? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
4250 posts
460 upvotes
Ok now that i'm done my French HW and home from work, i'll share my take on the advantages/disadvantages of UW:

1) Tuition: $5800 (arts, CA or CMA) $2800 (Science/CA) $2600 (Math/CA)

- If i could do it again, i'd go into math, i'm already doing all honors math courses for all my electives in arts and now instead of needing only 41 credits if i was in math, i need 43 credits to fulfill the math minor and BAFM requirements

2) Lifestyle: - in my year, there is no real life. Your classmates are all anti-social people that try to sound like they had lives and talk about the 1 time they went out past 8pm for the entire semester to sound 'cool'. I've heard that my year is horrible beyond, but the year above and below are way better, real girls exist in those classes too.

3) Co-op: - an excellent asset, especially in accounting. CA you need 30 months practical experience in an ICAO accredited firm to qualify, by the time you're done at UW (diploma or masters), you'll have 16months already

4) Masters: - if you make it you're excempt from CKE/SOA and can write the UFE immediately. Some may say there's no advantage to doing the Masters, it costs a TON now and you could be working and studying for the CKE/SOA/UFE in the meantime, but after masters, you're more marketable and you should be starting off in a senior position no matter what.

5) Marks: - Cutoff for my year (double cohort):

Arts - 89%, Math - 90%, Science - ~90%+ (not too sure)

I think last year it was lower.

6) Student housing: - available everywhere off campus. Tons of people are co-op there. Expect to pay $400-$500 month in winter/fall and $250 in spring terms.

7) Co-op: - Fixed for CA. You'll be IN SCHOOL for 2nd, 3rd year and on co-op for 4th year so you're summers are shot for 2nd and 3rd for sure and maybe 4th as well. This is going to be a BIG challenge for me because i was never able to do any sort of work when the weather became nice outside.

8) After you graduate: - You have a real job. On the downside you will be a nerd or somewhat anti-social and need psychiatric help and/or 'de-nerdifying' as i like to call it.

My experience at UW hasn't been a good one by a long shot, i left an excellent life back home in Ottawa to come out here and it is very hard, (didn't make it any easier on myself by choosing to do a full math minor), but on the other hand it should pay off in the long run. I would not apply to arts again if i had the choice though, the high tuition and caulky people are a huge piss-off in my year, but then again i heard that the other years are far better than mine. UT is definately a good school and a fair bit of the peeps i work with now have graduated from Laurier. Laurier is definately more fun than UW. If i had to do it all again though, my decision would be between actuarial science (UW), math accounting (UW), or Ivey (Western). Ivey would probably be the best balance between life/education because it is highly regarded and Western = hotties, UW on the other hand = nerdy, no fun.

LEMAR
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
2731 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks LEMAR. I'd just like to know, since you were a double cohort, what were your marks in Calculus, Data Management, and your overall average? I don't want to fail miserably.

As for the universities, U<a href=../autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=140 target=_blank>TSC</a> seems like a viable choice, but the difference is you get an MBA there instead of an MAcc, what's the difference and should it matter?
Feb 16, 2005
435 posts
68 upvotes
Richmond Hill
FearSonic wrote:So I can't take Co-op next year?! =/
you can take co-op BUT you'll need to take 2 additional courses
I dunno if your school runs co-op differently but where i went, you would have co-op half the day and 2 classes in the other half
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
2731 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
So far, I'm looking at these universities:

Waterloo
Toronto (Scarborough probably.)
York (Schulich, so hard.)
Wilfred Laurier

Any others I should look at? I'm leaning more towards Wilfrid Laurier now cause of the Waterloo costs.