Students

Are Universities clearing your grades if you haven't gone back in a long time?

[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
11140 posts
9405 upvotes
Winnipeg

Are Universities clearing your grades if you haven't gone back in a long time?

Are Universities clearing your grades if you haven't gone back in a long time? I was doing a photoshoot with someone over the weekend and they said that universities are now clearing all grades if you haven't gone to university for X years and you need to start from scratch again? Is that true?
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6959 posts
6084 upvotes
faken wrote: Are Universities clearing your grades if you haven't gone back in a long time? I was doing a photoshoot with someone over the weekend and they said that universities are now clearing all grades if you haven't gone to university for X years and you need to start from scratch again? Is that true?
there was always a limit on how long you can take a "break" before your previous credits didn't count anymore towards a degree even in the early 2000's.. at least at UT there was.
Jun 22, 2021
12 posts
8 upvotes
Not sure about other universities, but Carleton U in Ottawa doesn't seem to have that policy. Your grade stays forever unless you retake it
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2773 posts
2169 upvotes
GTA
Went back to Uni after 9 years and was still able to use my first year grades. Also didn't need to get accepted into my program of choice. Just needed the prerequisites.
Please don’t confuse my kindness for weakness.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1248 posts
179 upvotes
I believe your grades are permanent record with the registrar. Now whether your credits count toward an unfinished degree after x number of years it depends on each individual institution. I believe there are rules on how long you can take to finish your degree.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6959 posts
6084 upvotes
natnat1002 wrote: Not sure about other universities, but Carleton U in Ottawa doesn't seem to have that policy. Your grade stays forever unless you retake it
grade stays since it's history and occured and is part of your permanent record/transcript

it's whether they can be used/applied towards a degree that may have time limit. I mean it makes sense when you think of it. should someone who took a comp sci course in 1990 use it towards a comp sci degree in 2021?
Jul 31, 2017
891 posts
436 upvotes
faken wrote: Are Universities clearing your grades if you haven't gone back in a long time? I was doing a photoshoot with someone over the weekend and they said that universities are now clearing all grades if you haven't gone to university for X years and you need to start from scratch again? Is that true?

That is complete and utter bullshit.

And since universities operate independently that person clearly doesn't have the slightest idea of what they are talking about when they claim that they are all doing it.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2362 posts
1762 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Don't know which universities you're referring to but the two English universities in Montreal (Concordia University and McGill University) don't do this and I don't think any university would do this for a credit course. It is part of your academic record for that university. What this means is that if you failed a course in one university, that failed grade/course is part of your academic record at that university for the remainder of your life unless you apply to the university with different identification. Even if you legally changed your name, it would still be part of your academic record at the university since the academic record is linked to the individual based on a permanent code that students who study in the province of Quebec must obtain/get and I don't see this permanent code changing over a legal name change. The failed course doesn't travel with you between universities so that if someone failed a course at Concordia University and then they transferred to McGill University, there is no record of that failed course on their transcript for McGill University even if area/program of study is the same.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2362 posts
1762 upvotes
Montreal, QC
StatsGuy wrote: grade stays since it's history and occured and is part of your permanent record/transcript

it's whether they can be used/applied towards a degree that may have time limit. I mean it makes sense when you think of it. should someone who took a comp sci course in 1990 use it towards a comp sci degree in 2021?
This is true.

For certain courses/programmes, if a student hasn't taken any courses for awhile, even if the student has passed a specific course, he/she could be required to retake the course.

For example, in university, I took calculus and physics and we all know how useful calculus is in the IT field (I'm being sarcastic here), if I were to decide to apply for let's say electrical engineering where calculus courses and physics courses are required, since I haven't taken a calculus or physics course in 25+ years, the university would require me to retake it even though I could show them that I passed it ages ago. Depending on the university, they might allow me to prove my knowledge by writing a test instead of having to register and pay for the course again but that depends on the university. Even when the information covered in the course doesn't change (ex: information/material covered in a Calculus 1 course won't change much between what is taken/covered in 2000 compared with one that is taken in 2021 unlike something like computer science), the course might not be recognized after a certain time period but will still appear on the permanent transcript at that university.

Also depending on the programme and the university, certain programmes must be completed within a certain amount of time so one can't take 10 years to complete a degree by taking 3 courses per year (one course in the fall semester, one course in the winter semester, and one course in the summer semester) where each course is worth 3 credits and the degree is 90 credits (referring to an undergraduate bachelor's degree here).
Jul 31, 2017
891 posts
436 upvotes
lmcjipo wrote: This is true.

For certain courses/programmes, if a student hasn't taken any courses for awhile, even if the student has passed a specific course, he/she could be required to retake the course.

For example, in university, I took calculus and physics and we all know how useful calculus is in the IT field (I'm being sarcastic here), if I were to decide to apply for let's say electrical engineering where calculus courses and physics courses are required, since I haven't taken a calculus or physics course in 25+ years, the university would require me to retake it even though I could show them that I passed it ages ago. Depending on the university, they might allow me to prove my knowledge by writing a test instead of having to register and pay for the course again but that depends on the university. Even when the information covered in the course doesn't change (ex: information/material covered in a Calculus 1 course won't change much between what is taken/covered in 2000 compared with one that is taken in 2021 unlike something like computer science), the course might not be recognized after a certain time period but will still appear on the permanent transcript at that university.

Also depending on the programme and the university, certain programmes must be completed within a certain amount of time so one can't take 10 years to complete a degree by taking 3 courses per year (one course in the fall semester, one course in the winter semester, and one course in the summer semester) where each course is worth 3 credits and the degree is 90 credits (referring to an undergraduate bachelor's degree here).

All true, but your previous grades would still be on your academic record, they just wouldn't mean shit.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1457 posts
240 upvotes
SkynyrdsInyrds wrote: All true, but your previous grades would still be on your academic record, they just wouldn't mean shit.
so what would the grades mean?
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2362 posts
1762 upvotes
Montreal, QC
cybercavalier wrote: so what would the grades mean?
It wouldn't mean anything if the university forces you to retake the course even if you passed it the first time because you took the course "too long ago".

It would just appear on your permanent transcript as you've taken the course at a specific semester and year but that the course doesn't satisfy any requirement for graduating as a pre-requisite or a required course.

If you took that course as an "elective", the credits for this course can be used to fulfill the elective part of your programme depending on the university/institution.
Dec 24, 2007
867 posts
1407 upvotes
i failed astronomy in my first year of undergrad because i skipped the final exam (had hot GF at the time)

in my 5th year, i decided i wanted to raise my GPA. i sat down with my registrar and made a deal with them, that if i retook the course, and got higher than a B-, they'd use just the higher grade (not the average of the two, as was the policy @ utstg at the time.) always talk to your registrar, they are there to help you.

a word of caution: astronomy courses are about the chemical composition of pluto, not getting stoned in the planetarium like i had originally thought.
Jul 31, 2017
891 posts
436 upvotes
cybercavalier wrote: so what would the grades mean?

Nothing. If enough time has passed they won't mean anything despite appearing on your transcript. I'm talking about required courses here. If a course is required one would need to retake it. If not a required course, then the grade will still remain valid.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6417 posts
5801 upvotes
No. It's not true. In fact, you're required to show your transcript for any post-secondary courses taken when applying, no way around that.