Students

Are Universities clearing your grades if you haven't gone back in a long time?

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2007
8669 posts
6239 upvotes
Winnipeg

Are Universities clearing your grades if you haven't gone back in a long time?

Are Universities clearing your grades if you haven't gone back in a long time? I was doing a photoshoot with someone over the weekend and they said that universities are now clearing all grades if you haven't gone to university for X years and you need to start from scratch again? Is that true?
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5589 posts
4657 upvotes
faken wrote: Are Universities clearing your grades if you haven't gone back in a long time? I was doing a photoshoot with someone over the weekend and they said that universities are now clearing all grades if you haven't gone to university for X years and you need to start from scratch again? Is that true?
there was always a limit on how long you can take a "break" before your previous credits didn't count anymore towards a degree even in the early 2000's.. at least at UT there was.
Jun 22, 2021
4 posts
1 upvote
Not sure about other universities, but Carleton U in Ottawa doesn't seem to have that policy. Your grade stays forever unless you retake it
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2631 posts
1892 upvotes
GTA
Went back to Uni after 9 years and was still able to use my first year grades. Also didn't need to get accepted into my program of choice. Just needed the prerequisites.
Please don’t confuse my kindness for weakness.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1125 posts
88 upvotes
I believe your grades are permanent record with the registrar. Now whether your credits count toward an unfinished degree after x number of years it depends on each individual institution. I believe there are rules on how long you can take to finish your degree.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5589 posts
4657 upvotes
natnat1002 wrote: Not sure about other universities, but Carleton U in Ottawa doesn't seem to have that policy. Your grade stays forever unless you retake it
grade stays since it's history and occured and is part of your permanent record/transcript

it's whether they can be used/applied towards a degree that may have time limit. I mean it makes sense when you think of it. should someone who took a comp sci course in 1990 use it towards a comp sci degree in 2021?