Universities - online study during COVID-19

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7676 posts
2460 upvotes
Maple

Universities - online study during COVID-19

McMasters already informed my son about online study for coming Fall term. What do you think about Winter term, online or in-class?
4 replies
Jul 15, 2006
873 posts
57 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Realistically nobody knows. Institutions are making arrangements for rotating in-person classes and smaller class sizes only for programs where hands-on learning is needed as part of the program requirement or is needed for graduation.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7676 posts
2460 upvotes
Maple
Shop-a-holic wrote: Realistically nobody knows. Institutions are making arrangements for rotating in-person classes and smaller class sizes only for programs where hands-on learning is needed as part of the program requirement or is needed for graduation.
I understand nobody has answer for this. It is vey tough for students. My son already signed the rental lease in late April but he and his friends were able to get out the lease, just have to pay 2 months. They decided to get out the lease completely (fall and winter terms).
Jun 6, 2014
194 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It would probably depend on the program. Courses with labs I would expect to go back first. Maybe be on campus one day a week. If you live close enough maybe drive in for the day.

I would see what they're doing about student residences first. Because it's the students who live out of province or too far to drive in that this would be an issue for.

You sound very eager, since April/May they've been saying it might still not be business as usual for universities come September.
Jul 31, 2017
619 posts
252 upvotes
teoconca wrote: McMasters already informed my son about online study for coming Fall term. What do you think about Winter term, online or in-class?

Classes with a hands on component will be back (most likely in September), whereas purely academic classes will be entirely online so as to keep rooms free.

I'm a prof and that is how my school is dealing with it.

And nobody has any clue about January.