Students

University of Manitoba - Laptop needed?

[OP]
Sep 15, 2004
584 posts
1 upvote
Winnipeg

University of Manitoba - Laptop needed?

I like doing lots of research at school due to there being no distractions. At the U of Winnipeg last year there was no problem getting a computer for research, but the U of M is a lot bigger with more people.

Is it easy to get access to a public use computer? Or is a laptop needed if I plan to be doing work at school?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
2619 posts
74 upvotes
Winnipeg
Yup agreed. Hi Richard :) :cheesygri

I don't usually work at school though...seeing I live so close to campus. If I ever have some spare cash for toys a lappy is high on the list though...plus the wife wants one...so in some ways I really have no choice lol. :|

It will also depend what you need the computer for. If it is just to research on the net or something then you definitely won't have a problem...if you need a computer running a certain program then it could be a little more difficult. For general use computers you just have to know where to go...there are "less travelled" areas of the UofM. I'd post them, but then they may not be "less travelled" :D

What are you coming to the UofM for....I think I know (Eng...or maybe Comp Sci)...but can't remember?
Scotty is a cheap mofo and loves to get a deal!

HEATWARE
[OP]
Sep 15, 2004
584 posts
1 upvote
Winnipeg
I'm going for my B of Commerce while taking Society of Actuary Exams for an actuarial mathmatics degree.
Apr 24, 2005
249 posts
7 upvotes
anyone know of any goodplaces to buy laptops, I'm kind of interested in the barebones option but can't find any places that sell MSI or Asus barebone lappies. I wanna get the low power 25 W Turion chip and a really sweet graphics solution (hehe u can tell I go to the U of M doing second year sciences). I hope that new Engineering building will be ready I'm sure they'll have free wifi there!!!

Matt
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2005
7401 posts
127 upvotes
Ottawa
multpda wrote:anyone know of any goodplaces to buy laptops, I'm kind of interested in the barebones option but can't find any places that sell MSI or Asus barebone lappies. I wanna get the low power 25 W Turion chip and a really sweet graphics solution (hehe u can tell I go to the U of M doing second year sciences). I hope that new Engineering building will be ready I'm sure they'll have free wifi there!!!

Matt
Do you have small independently-owned computer stores there? The little mom & pop places usually carry those Asus notebooks. Keep in mind that they're not the cheapest places, so research the prices before you buy.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
2619 posts
74 upvotes
Winnipeg
multpda wrote:anyone know of any goodplaces to buy laptops, I'm kind of interested in the barebones option but can't find any places that sell MSI or Asus barebone lappies. I wanna get the low power 25 W Turion chip and a really sweet graphics solution (hehe u can tell I go to the U of M doing second year sciences). I hope that new Engineering building will be ready I'm sure they'll have free wifi there!!!

Matt
As for the Asus notebooks, I think [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink] carries them, but I'm not sure.

There are already areas in the University with wireless internet...such as the Engineering Library. I'm sure with the new building there will be even more coverage.
Scotty is a cheap mofo and loves to get a deal!

HEATWARE
Jun 1, 2004
282 posts
17 upvotes
I think some of the A&B Sound Seanix brand laptops are actually Asus models. I saw a flyer and one of them looked very familiar. Check out seanix.com for more info. I am also looking for a laptop and the Asus Z70V Refresh is looking good. I think canadasys.com is selling them. Does anyone know if they are a reputible seller?