Careers

The University of Texas - Austin (Online Masters in Data Science)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2020 7:42 am
[OP]
Aug 11, 2013
27 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver

The University of Texas - Austin (Online Masters in Data Science)

My manager suggested me doing a Masters in Data Science/Analytics to further improve and solidify my skills. I am not looking into switching to a new career. My employer will reimburse some, but not a lot. And, I have taken many courses from Edx, Coursera, etc.

I can't do full-time. In Canada (especially in BC), there aren't many options. UBC has one, but it's a full-time program and costs around 40k-45k!

I did a lot of research. One program stood out - UT Austin Masters in Data Science (Online). Until now, I have never heard of the school. Not that it is not a bad school but didn't know or much care about US universities. It appears that the school is quite reputable in the US. Although I am not looking for a top-notch school degree, I want to do one at a solid/reputable institute.

I wonder how Canadian employers view the reputation of US schools (non-Ivey). Do Canadian employers care about where you got the masters in the US at all (unless it is Harvard or Stanford, etc.)? or is it usually CAD uni > US univ?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1141 posts
973 upvotes
Proudbanana wrote: My manager suggested me doing a Masters in Data Science/Analytics to further improve and solidify my skills. I am not looking into switching to a new career. My employer will reimburse some, but not a lot. And, I have taken many courses from Edx, Coursera, etc.

I can't do full-time. In Canada (especially in BC), there aren't many options. UBC has one, but it's a full-time program and costs around 40k-45k!

I did a lot of research. One program stood out - UT Austin Masters in Data Science (Online). Until now, I have never heard of the school. Not that it is not a bad school but didn't know or much care about US universities. It appears that the school is quite reputable in the US. Although I am not looking for a top-notch school degree, I want to do one at a solid/reputable institute.

I wonder how Canadian employers view the reputation of US schools (non-Ivey). Do Canadian employers care about where you got the masters in the US at all (unless it is Harvard or Stanford, etc.)? or is it usually CAD uni > US univ?
I think you are probably better off taking one of Brainstation’s programs. Look into it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6456 posts
5916 upvotes
Richmond Hill
College will be cheaper, and probably more useful

I say this as someone with a college cert and a masters degree in informatics
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Apr 25, 2019
214 posts
85 upvotes
Proudbanana wrote: My manager suggested me doing a Masters in Data Science/Analytics to further improve and solidify my skills. I am not looking into switching to a new career. My employer will reimburse some, but not a lot. And, I have taken many courses from Edx, Coursera, etc.

Online degrees can be a problem to pursue because often times guidance is not given properly and there is a decent communication gap between professors and students. Always search for comments on reddit about any online university program and then proceed. I recommend https://pe.gatech.edu/degrees/analytics
[OP]
Aug 11, 2013
27 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
I forgot to mention. I have also looked into that program and went through subreddit for GT OMSA. But my question remains - what is the view of Canadian employers those schools. I guess those programs are fairly new so it might take some time to see how it adds value for the job candidates. Another option is to wait for a few years and see what programs (online) Canadian universities come up with in the future.
Apr 25, 2019
214 posts
85 upvotes
Proudbanana wrote: I forgot to mention. I have also looked into that program and went through subreddit for GT OMSA. But my question remains - what is the view of Canadian employers those schools. I guess those programs are fairly new so it might take some time to see how it adds value for the job candidates. Another option is to wait for a few years and see what programs (online) Canadian universities come up with in the future.
Depends on your field. I am into IT so experience is the king here and not body is concerned about degree, infact I was never asked for degree when doing any of the interviews here in Canada.

I got a Masters from US university online since they were more flexible and cheaper than Canadian universities. Got a distinction there but none of the employers care.

I feel you can learn the analytics online using some bootcamp or a degree but a degree is better as it might be helpful in govt. organizations where they care more about academics.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3782 posts
1855 upvotes
ProductGuy wrote: I think you are probably better off taking one of Brainstation’s programs. Look into it.
Their instructors are not good, unless you already know the material.
Sep 28, 2006
250 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think your degree matters. Specially now since Universities and Colleges are turning into paper mills. Too many certs and degree programs with a lot of fluff. Their main source of revenue is the international student. A very tiny percentage of locals go for it. I know a couple of folks that got their Analytics degrees from Queens and Centennial and they haven't got anyone to bite. They have forced themselves into coursera, datacamp and brainstation to keep themselves relevant and fresh in the area.

If your manager can steer you in a direction that have you use the analytics stuff, then I'd say its highly worth it. In my experience, you are just pigeonholed by recruiters to the experience you have, and not your degree.

Also, it kinda worrying when every school in every corner is offering some kinda program in Analytics. It seems like a big hype bubble to me, with schools making more money from big data, than companies with big data themselves.