Students

University of Toronto - Civil Engineering

[OP]
May 13, 2009
114 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

University of Toronto - Civil Engineering

I finally made my decision on which University to attend to and was wondering if anyone else got accepted to this program or any other students already enrolled in this program?
12 replies
[OP]
May 13, 2009
114 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
The overall student life and do I need to prepare myself before entering the program in fall by studying before hand in the summer?
Oct 1, 2008
89 posts
auh26 wrote: do I need to prepare myself before entering the program in fall by studying before hand in the summer?
Assuming you have taken and understood all the required courses for the program, no.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2006
1503 posts
438 upvotes
auh26 wrote: The overall student life and do I need to prepare myself before entering the program in fall by studying before hand in the summer?
What student life? ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2005
2902 posts
47 upvotes
alex_d10 wrote: What student life? ;)
civ's probably the best for student life. Rather simple courses and most people in the program aren't nerds and are social
Yelp.ca - Review your favorite and not-so favorite restaurants, shops, businesses, anything!!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
392 upvotes
Canada
TheFuteballer wrote: civ's probably the best for student life. Rather simple courses and most people in the program aren't nerds and are social
But...it is a massive sausage fest :lol: So expect to be socializing with guys hahaha
I think the year my buddies graduated, there were only like, 5 girls in the class haha
He died for me, I live for him
Apr 25, 2007
79 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
All I can say is that if you are going into Engineering into almost any university, you should say goodbye to your social life. Its MUCH harder compared to ANY other programs(such as business, life science, social sci etc). Although Civil Engineering is considered(the general opinion) to be the easier of all other engineering majors.

Regarding your preparation for engineering, I would say that you should definitely have strong Calculus and math skills(if they aren't already strong).

A big plus going in to first-year would be to know your basic programming(whether in C or Java). Alot of first year engineering students have a hard time in their first-year programming course because programming is such a new concept to them. If you have time and really want to lower the burden of one whole course, learn programming over the summer, or take a Comp Sci course in summer school(if you can).
Mar 3, 2009
538 posts
thecomputer wrote: Regarding your preparation for engineering, I would say that you should definitely have strong Calculus and math skills(if they aren't already strong).
you are the second person to say that you need to be good in math to be good in engineering.

how about science (physics)?
you need to like physics too to do well in engineering, right?
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
2209 posts
793 upvotes
nyrz wrote: you are the second person to say that you need to be good in math to be good in engineering.

how about science (physics)?
you need to like physics too to do well in engineering, right?

you're gonna need a wide range of skills in order to be successful in first year engineering. You need to know physics very well regardless what uni you attend. You can also throw Math and Chem in the pot too. Consider General Eng as the "triathlon in the olympics" You're gonna need to know English, Math, Physics, Chem, heck even some Art to be sucessful in your first year!

My advice is to try your absolute best in first year and give it all you got! Ignore all the horror stories you hear and all the rumors, just go and do your best! It'll be worth the 4 months you have off during your summer!
[OP]
May 13, 2009
114 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Thank you very much everyone, appreciate it :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2005
2902 posts
47 upvotes
shannn wrote: But...it is a massive sausage fest :lol: So expect to be socializing with guys hahaha
I think the year my buddies graduated, there were only like, 5 girls in the class haha
where did you go? At UofT civ is like 40% girls, 60% guys and they have the highest ratio of good looking girls too haha
Yelp.ca - Review your favorite and not-so favorite restaurants, shops, businesses, anything!!
Aug 22, 2007
217 posts
25 upvotes
London ON
I used to be a TA for APS111. Never again. First year engineers have absolutely dismal writing skills, and my blood pressure can't take another diarrhaea with a CDS report title page on it.

My advice is that you should read as much as possible of, well, any edited work (so, minus most blogs and forums). Calculus or statics won't hurt you; chances are you're at least alright at it. You need to do a lot of writing in first year because of the Engineering Strategies and Practice courses (APS111 and APS112), and you need language skills to get through them - both oral and written. A nontrivial number of people fail this course. I bit my lips hard and had to fail a group; and, for what it's worth, I couldn't go to sleep that night.

Ask any real engineers if they use a lot of calculus and other math crap. They have Matlab for that. Most of the time they write, interact with clients and deliver oral presentations. Will you be buying life-saving devices from a biomedical firm that had spelling and grammar mistakes throughout the proposal? I didn't think so either.

And I have to agree with the previous post: civ girls are hot, next to indy's. Chems, to my amazement, smell like ECEs, come exam time.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)