University of Waterloo - Double Degree Math and Business

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2011 12:00 am
[OP]
Feb 22, 2011
4 posts
Toronto

University of Waterloo - Double Degree Math and Business

Hello RFD, I'm interested in applying to the University of Waterloo for the Double Degree program in Math and Business. I'm wondering what kind of admittance average that they are looking for and whether my current EC's are alright.

My current EC's are:
-Part of Robotics, Programming, and Debate team
-Served in Royal Canadian Air Cadets for 2-3 years
-Executive of volunteering club for one year and Co-president of club for one year
-Intramurial badminton
-Trained in Bronze Medallion and Bronze Cross

My planned top 6 marks will be:
-Adv Functions (82 in sem 1, retaking it in 2nd semester, hopefully I will get 95+)
-Data Management (92 in summer school)
-AP Economics (88)
-English (semester 2, hope to get 85+)
-Financial Securities (semester 2, hope to get 90+)
-Calculus and vectors (semester 2, hope to get 85+)
20 replies
Mar 12, 2009
117 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
You will get in, just not sure if you can survive. I graduate from Waterloo with math/bus degree, and during my first 2 years i see about half of my class drop out/switch to an other program.
Sep 9, 2009
324 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
Strong ECs, but Gr.12 grades aren't exemplary. Waterloo DD is tough as nails - you need extremely solid study habits to make it. Good luck in there.
Penalty Box
Aug 11, 2005
4175 posts
1411 upvotes
More degrees the better amirite? If you get 2 degrees.. it's a 100k job out of high school for sure!
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2006
2069 posts
50 upvotes
85 in calculus is borderline...your math average don't impress right now...yah you would need 92+ in your retake of algebra.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2006
3370 posts
343 upvotes
Brisbane
Luckyinfil wrote: More degrees the better amirite? If you get 2 degrees.. it's a 100k job out of high school for sure!

lol.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes
Christ Luckyinfil is back? What hole did he crawl out of?

Hide the kids.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44172 posts
4789 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ray1202 wrote: You will get in, just not sure if you can survive. I graduate from Waterloo with math/bus degree, and during my first 2 years i see about half of my class drop out/switch to an other program.
Laphroaig wrote: Strong ECs, but Gr.12 grades aren't exemplary. Waterloo DD is tough as nails - you need extremely solid study habits to make it. Good luck in there.
adehbone wrote: 85 in calculus is borderline...your math average don't impress right now...yah you would need 92+ in your retake of algebra.

+1

Waterloo isn't that much about ECs so you're fine with those. I had less but better grades and they took me into Math/CA, which is just as intense as the double, I hear. Ended up going to ECE though.
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2008
1402 posts
139 upvotes
Vancouver
So what can you do with this degree?
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes
drey2k wrote: So what can you do with this degree?

Probably nothing. Nothing that you couldn't do with one or the other anyway.

It sounds like one of those programs that tries to attract the try-hards (which is a great market for the universities to advertise towards) with their brochures and give the kids delusions of grandeur, such as UofT's engineering science.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2004
1582 posts
34 upvotes
I personally find my math degree has given me instant cred pretty much everywhere I go.... back when I had a choice of taking a comp sci or math degree, best decision ever was to go with the math degree.

And moreover, combining that with business? I kinda wish I had that. Missed that element in my undergrad, and I've been trying to make up for it every since.

And yeah, your marks do leave something to be desired. No idea how hard it is to get in, but be prepared to work very very hard in a program where you will see others literally breezing through with absolutely no difficulty.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes
Icedawn wrote: I personally find my math degree has given me instant cred pretty much everywhere I go.

Oh okay. There's your answer, it pretty much gives you 'instant cred', pretty much everywhere you go.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2011
4 posts
Toronto
Thanks everybody for your input. I know that Waterloo pays attention to your math marks alot, which is why I definitely had to retake AF. I'll try to work really hard this semester and focus on my Calc, and I'll also be doing the CCC and Euclid contests both sponsored by Waterloo.

Actually, during the university fair earlier last year, most graduates pursue a career involving financial math such as actual science, economics, and most of them go for a CFA designation.

As for how hard I work right now... at most I do homework for 2-2.5 hours a day, which is really VERY little compared to what most of my friends are doing. I confident that if I have the will and determination to enter this program (which I certainly do), I'll be able to manage alright in the program, hopefully. :)
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2005
2649 posts
48 upvotes
Bay Area
2-2.5 hours a day? In highschool? Wow. I didn't even study that much in Uni. Does that include homework as well?
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2004
1582 posts
34 upvotes
JK400 wrote: Oh okay. There's your answer, it pretty much gives you 'instant cred', pretty much everywhere you go.

Notwithstanding your sarcasm - I also note that you're also assumed to be a massive nerd as well. Like I said, gives you credibility with regard to analytical skills, a liability when it comes to business.