• Mar 3rd, 2018 4:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8517 posts
5390 upvotes
Toronto

Unlimited cloud drive providers?

With Amazon cancelling their $60 unlimited storage plan recently, I'm looking for new cloud storage provider to switch to when my current unlimited sub runs out in June. As much as I want to stick with Amazon because of the super useful mobile features, the new plans they're offering are a rip off compared to thee now dead unlimited plan (100gb/$24.99, 1TB/$124.99)

Can anyone recommend a good affordable cloud storage provider? Preferably one that offers unlimited and mobile app access. I've looked at Dropbox and Google Drive but they seem very expensive. I don't absolutely need unlimited storage and would maybe settle for a few hundred GB if the price is right. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
18 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8517 posts
5390 upvotes
Toronto
bump. what do you guys use?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33799 posts
7440 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Are you downloading or uploading to the cloud?

Why not use a NAS and make your own cloud?

The only drawback is the bandwidth won’t be as fast as Amazon or Google
Last edited by Gee on Mar 1st, 2018 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8517 posts
5390 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: Are you downloading or uploading to the cloud?

Why not use a NAS and make your own cloud?

The only drawback is the bandwidth wont be as fast as Amazon or Google
Mostly uploading and using as an offsite backup solution but occasionally downloading from it as well. The great thing with Amazon cloud is being able to access my entire photo library from my phone and also being able to make safe backups of photos i take when traveling. I'm also into music production and use it to backup all my projects. NAS is fine for onsite but I need new offsite storage
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8517 posts
5390 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: If you have a Pixel phone, google will give you the unlimited cloud storage for you photos.
Hmm that's good to know and I have been thinking of upgrading to a Pixel but I'd still need something for the rest of the stuff. The photos are only about half of what I need it for
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2013
1651 posts
710 upvotes
Markham
You can get a Gsuite account
10700K + Asus TUF 3080.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33799 posts
7440 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ReeGee wrote: Hmm that's good to know and I have been thinking of upgrading to a Pixel but I'd still need something for the rest of the stuff. The photos are only about half of what I need it for
Google gives you 15 gigs for everything else. I’m sure that won’t be enough for your music. I still think a NAS is your best option and the make it available in the cloud. If you build your own NAS, use OwnCloud. If you use Synology or QNap, they have their own solution.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8517 posts
5390 upvotes
Toronto
myinglin0318 wrote: You can get a Gsuite account
this is overkill for just consumer cloud storage no?
Last edited by ReeGee on Mar 1st, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8517 posts
5390 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: Google gives you 15 gigs for everything else. I’m sure that won’t be enough for your music. I still think a NAS is your best option and the make it available in the cloud. If you build your own NAS, use OwnCloud. If you use Synology or QNap, they have their own solution.
Ya 15GB isn't nearly enough. I need at least 100GB for that stuff now and probably more later. The problem with a NAS is that no onsite storage is 100% safe which is why people use offsite storage in the first place. Generally speaking I keep multiple backups at home already and that's not the point of what I'm looking for
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8517 posts
5390 upvotes
Toronto
myinglin0318 wrote: You can get a Gsuite account
I just looked into this and it's even more expensive than Amazon's new plans. This works out to $144 CAD a year for 1TB of storage for 1 user. You can't get unlimited storage unless you're paying for 5 users at $10USD/month each. Thanks for the suggestion though
Oct 12, 2005
277 posts
78 upvotes
Markham, ON
Not completely related, but Office 365 Home for five users is C$109 per year. You can share with yourself using different email addresses. Each account gives you 1TB of OneDrive storage. You also get five Office licenses.

If you don't want Office licenses, OneDrive also offers storage only plans. (Click Business, as there is no direct link for that). Unlimited storage for C$146.40/year per user.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8517 posts
5390 upvotes
Toronto
chrishch wrote: Unlimited storage for C$146.40/year per user
Ugh holy crap the more I look into this the more I understand why Amazon cancelled their $60 unlimited plan. They really were giving us a steal for years. This is so frustrating
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2013
1651 posts
710 upvotes
Markham
ReeGee wrote: I just looked into this and it's even more expensive than Amazon's new plans. This works out to $144 CAD a year for 1TB of storage for 1 user. You can't get unlimited storage unless you're paying for 5 users at $10USD/month each. Thanks for the suggestion though
Amazon's $60 annually is hard to beat haha
10700K + Asus TUF 3080.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8517 posts
5390 upvotes
Toronto
myinglin0318 wrote: Amazon's $60 annually is hard to beat haha
I know after looking at what the competition offers I guess it was too good to last. If I can't find anything comparable by June I might just cough up the $125 for 1TB at this point and not have to worry about migrating everything. I just wish they'd offer something between 100GB and 1TB
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2013
1651 posts
710 upvotes
Markham
ReeGee wrote: I know after looking at what the competition offers I guess it was too good to last. If I can't find anything comparable by June I might just cough up the $125 for 1TB at this point and not have to worry about migrating everything. I just wish they'd offer something between 100GB and 1TB
Maybe do a group thing so you can get unlimited storage, sweetens the deal that way?
10700K + Asus TUF 3080.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1994 posts
807 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
ReeGee wrote: Ugh holy crap the more I look into this the more I understand why Amazon cancelled their $60 unlimited plan. They really were giving us a steal for years. This is so frustrating
Not exactly for years... They cancelled the plan less than 8 months after first introducing it Canada. I know because I signed up almost instantly when they first offered it and received the notice with a few months remaining in the year I paid for.

But yes it would have been a bargain if I had not needed to spend most of the time uploading just to find it was a huge waste of time.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8517 posts
5390 upvotes
Toronto
facebook259 wrote: Not exactly for years... They cancelled the plan less than 8 months after first introducing it Canada. I know because I signed up almost instantly when they first offered it and received the notice with a few months remaining in the year I paid for.

But yes it would have been a bargain if I had not needed to spend most of the time uploading just to find it was a huge waste of time.
It was definitely longer than that. I opened my unlimited drive in March 2016 and I'm pretty sure it was around for a while even before that
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1994 posts
807 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
A quick google reveals an announcement, March 21, 2016, and again February 28, 2017....

So I probably signed up at the time of the second announcement. Prior to that I thought you had to signup through a USA account, but reading through the posts now I am not really sure.