• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2015 7:39 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 21, 2010
13 posts

Unlimited mileage offered only in Ontario

I am looking to rent a mini van. Got the cheapest one from "Ace rent a car" for $34 per day.

As I am planning to drive to Montreal from Toronto, there is catch, it says "Unlimited mileage offered only in Ontario".
How does this work? How do they check that you are driving in Ontario only?
10 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
Most car rental agencies need to know if you are going out of Province or Country. It has to do with insurance and liability. It costs more to insure out of Province and Country...hence...unlimited in Province only.
So, can you take it to Quebec? Sure but, if anything happens, you will be totally responsible for all damages, costs and loss of use fees.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1692 posts
133 upvotes
Most car rental agencies now have GPS transponders in their vehicles so they can find them if they go missing. They just might know, and charge you appropriately, for taking the car outside of the agreed upon range.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16799 posts
2464 upvotes
shrestha wrote: I am looking to rent a mini van. Got the cheapest one from "Ace rent a car" for $34 per day.

I always avoid the low-cost, no-name, second (or third!) tier rental agencies. Book with a one of the larger car rental agencies like Budget, Hertz, Enterprise, Avis, or Alamo. They have unlimited milage across Canada. Book through Costco for the best rate, i.e. next week it's $44.00 per day for a mini-van from YYZ.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2792 posts
2234 upvotes
GTA
Renting from airport locations usually offers unlimited KM. The downside is it's usually more expensive.

I went to New York last year and made a deal with a non airport location to cap the excess KM at a certain amount. They knew where I was going and I ended up paying less than airport location without having to make my way there.
Please don’t confuse my kindness for weakness.
[OP]
Dec 21, 2010
13 posts
coolspot wrote: I always avoid the low-cost, no-name, second (or third!) tier rental agencies. Book with a one of the larger car rental agencies like Budget, Hertz, Enterprise, Avis, or Alamo. They have unlimited milage across Canada. Book through Costco for the best rate, i.e. next week it's $44.00 per day for a mini-van from YYZ.

With Costco booking services, it's showing $280 for 4 days in non airport location with 800 KM, and in YYZ location its showing $430 for 4 days with 800 KM.

How do you get for $44 per day for a mini-van with unlimited mileage ?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16799 posts
2464 upvotes
shrestha wrote: With Costco booking services, it's showing $280 for 4 days in non airport location with 800 KM, and in YYZ location its showing $430 for 4 days with 800 KM.

How do you get for $44 per day for a mini-van with unlimited mileage ?
What date are you using for the rental? Also I've never seen anything but unlimited milage on Costco's website - where are you seeing 800KM?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38220 posts
24397 upvotes
Center of Universe
I have yet to see unlimited mileage for minivans in ON...good luck on the search though.
Nov 26, 2014
180 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto, ON
shrestha wrote: How do you get for $44 per day for a mini-van with unlimited mileage ?
I haven't seen rates remotely close to this in the past 15 years.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2007
1397 posts
179 upvotes
Western Montreal
at416905 wrote: I haven't seen rates remotely close to this in the past 15 years.
Corporate rates year round or seasonal deals (outside of summer months) My company gets 40$ a day for minivans in most canadien cities and as employees we are allowed to use the corporate rates
[OP]
Dec 21, 2010
13 posts
coolspot wrote: What date are you using for the rental? Also I've never seen anything but unlimited milage on Costco's website - where are you seeing 800KM?
Looking for date:27th May to 31st May.