Unlimited Talk and Text North America

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2019 9:27 am
[OP]
Feb 5, 2011
3 posts
Guelph

Unlimited Talk and Text North America

Apologies if there is already a thread or threads on this elsewhere in the forum.

I'm hoping others can help me identify some options for the lowest rate mobile plan that includes Unlimited Talk and Text North America.

My wife's parents live in the states and we have other friends and family in the states, so we call there frequently. She currently has a plan through Solo Mobile (a grandfathered Bell discount brand) where we pay $50 per month (pre-tax) for unlimited talk and text north america and includes VM and call display. Unfortunately since Solo is now defunct, they don't offer any decent phones, etc. to encourage people to move away from Solo.

Anybody have any suggested plans that may be able to beat that rate? Data is not a requirement but would be a nice to have.

I'm not interested in Canadian discount carriers that have 'coverage zones' like Wind, and I'm not interested in a US carrier like AT&T.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by bluesky1713 on Aug 7th, 2019 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7554 posts
5034 upvotes
Canada
WhatsApp is free and cross platform
Oct 17, 2010
637 posts
298 upvotes
Terrace
Why not give public mobile a try?

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans ... GB-3Gspeed

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans ... GB-3Gspeed

Also, if you have enough data on any carrier you can install "Textnow" app it's available on ios or android. With that app you can talk and text anytime for free north american wide. It runs on data or wifi.

It also works if you're out of the country as long as you have data/wifi and calls & text to Canada/USA are always free. You can get any number across north america. So if your in laws are in the states that does not have a Canadian calling plan you can get a local number at their city so they can always call you for free vice versa.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2012
1077 posts
491 upvotes
Sounds like a great case for Google Voice. This way US folks can easily call (and text SMS/MMS) y'all on a US number. You can choose a number that is local to them as well. Setup Google Voice app on your cell and use WiFI or mobile data. Bonus you can setup Google Voice at home on an ATA (see Obi 200 or 202). Then you can focus on cheaper Canada-wide cell plans.
Jun 21, 2008
531 posts
139 upvotes
mississauga
bluesky1713 wrote: Apologies if there is already a thread or threads on this elsewhere in the forum.

I'm hoping others can help me identify some options for the lowest rate mobile plan that includes Unlimited Talk and Text North America.

My wife's parents live in the states and we have other friends and family in the states, so we call there frequently. She currently has a plan through Solo Mobile (a grandfathered Bell discount brand) where we pay $50 per month (pre-tax) for unlimited talk and text north america and includes VM and call display. Unfortunately since Solo is now defunct, they don't offer any decent phones, etc. to encourage people to move away from Solo.

Anybody have any suggested plans that may be able to beat that rate? Data is not a requirement but would be a nice to have.

I'm interested in Canadian discount carriers that have 'coverage zones' like Wind, and I'm not interested in a US carrier like AT&T.

Thanks in advance.
i talk to my brother in the states using google voice on wifi/data all the time,

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)