• May 8th, 2017 3:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
4030 posts
483 upvotes
T.O.

Unlimited text cell phone plan, which carrier

Looking for a SMS cell phone plan only. Don't care for minutes or data. I plan on using it as notifications from my monitoring system. Which provider is the cheapest? Probably not going to bother with Freedom Mobile
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
16 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
2936 posts
724 upvotes
Toronto
I use koodo prepaid. $15/month unlim text. Can also add talk booster that don't expire if you ever want to talk to someone.
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
Feb 18, 2014
632 posts
1233 upvotes
Rogers pay as you go has a $120/year plan with unlimited texts.... free evening and weekend calling is a nice bonus since most carriers will charge $10/month just for unlimited texts alone. The downside for most is that it only comes with 50 day time minutes for the entire year but that won't matter for your needs.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
633 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Traian2003 wrote: Looking for a SMS cell phone plan only. Don't care for minutes or data. I plan on using it as notifications from my monitoring system. Which provider is the cheapest? Probably not going to bother with Freedom Mobile
I suggest "do not pay for it".
I assume you are out of wifi zone rarely (home office).
Get yourself a local free # from Textme or TextNow and start SMS free .
Fair enough you do not get SMS when you are out of wifi zone. But you get the missing ones when you are back home or office.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Aug 30, 2007
379 posts
169 upvotes
If you are a bell (or virgin) prepaid, they have an unlisted talk and text promo with 100 mins monthly, nights and weekends at 9 (hello, 2005 called) and unlimited SMS.

Edit note: For $20/month

Edit note x 2: I can't read obviously as i completely didn not absorb the minutes not mattering. You can get the $15 unlimited from most. What type of monitoring she and do you have a rough idea how many texts?
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15163 posts
4409 upvotes
London
sgtplunder wrote: ... What type of monitoring she and do you have a rough idea how many texts?
+1 depends on how many "sent" texts you anticipate.

Speakout payg text is $15cents per sent text and all payg refills have 1 year expiry. So a $25 refill = 166 sent messages per year.
Incoming msqs are free

If you really do want unlimited, it's $10/mo

https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/phone-rates
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
633 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Traian2003 wrote: Looking for a SMS cell phone plan only. Don't care for minutes or data. I plan on using it as notifications from my monitoring system. Which provider is the cheapest? Probably not going to bother with Freedom Mobile
If you hardly ever send text and you only need incoming text from the monitoring system, Speakout plan, as mentioned below, fits all your need
l69norm wrote: +1 depends on how many "sent" texts you anticipate. Speakout payg text is $15cents per sent text and all payg refills have 1 year expiry. So a $25 refill = 166 sent messages per year.
Incoming msqs are free
Daniel

[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
4030 posts
483 upvotes
T.O.
I need outgoing sms only. My system sends a few thousand sms a month. Seems like speakout is the best deal no?
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
2936 posts
724 upvotes
Toronto
Traian2003 wrote: I need outgoing sms only. My system sends a few thousand sms a month. Seems like speakout is the best deal no?
It is, plus it uses Rogers network.
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
633 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Traian2003 wrote: I need outgoing sms only. My system sends a few thousand sms a month. Seems like speakout is the best deal no?
There is another cheaper one but with a catch.
tbytel prepaid charges $15 for 5000 sms a year.
It nonetheless gives you 20 Gb 3 g data at $125 a year too.
It is great if you are in the boonies and you need data
i had that before. But YMMV
Daniel

Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15163 posts
4409 upvotes
London
Is this some kind of commercial system?

Most consumer unlimited sms plans don't cover commercial systems sending out automated sms.