• Jun 22nd, 2010 3:01 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10870 posts
2207 upvotes
Kingston

[Starbucks] Unlimited wifi access through Boingo+partner hotspots $10/month

Just signed up for this for travel starting Monday but haven't used it yet.

$10/month (can be canceled any time).
Unlimited North American access to their network of wifi hotspots (which is mostly partner hotspots, not just those labeled Boingo).
You can use up to 2 devices per plan (not sure how this is monitored or if it is). You can use a smartphone and a laptop. For the smartphone you sign-in through your browser (e.g. I couldn't sign on through the Boingo iPhone app because it only works for the mobile wi-fi plan, but I could connect when I started at Safari and the startup web page was Boingo's login page).
There is a different ($8) package for smartphones only.

From http://www.boingo.com/
Enjoy UNLIMITED Wi-Fi access throughout the Americas for a low monthly rate of $9.95. Get connected to:
* Airport Wi-Fi in hundreds of airports!
* Hotel Wi-Fi, including participating Marriott®
and Sheraton® locations.
* Starbucks® Wi-Fi
* McDonald’s® Wi-Fi

This service used to be about $30, but at this price it feels like a steal. I'll post an update after my travels (4 airports + a Marriott)

I originally just posted this in Travel (and that is probably still what it shines for), but the more I looked at it I thought it merited posting in Hot Deals for people who are just "on the road" a lot. In Canada it appears that this gives access through all Starbucks wifi (Bell customers already get this for free, $4/2 hours otherwise) and UPS Store wifi, plus a sprinkling of others. Their location finding tool is HERE.

One of the other interesting ones included is the Toronto OneZone mesh (downtown Toronto) which charges $5/hr, or $10/day, or $30/month. It appears you can get a month through Boingo for $10!

Probably still mostly of interest for people who are on the road (unless you live over a Starbucks or UPS Store!).

Updates as promised:
Update from the Buffalo airport: Works great
Update from the Detroit airport: Works great.
58 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1589 posts
199 upvotes
I travel alot and find it very useful.
I was in London, UK last week staying at a hotel in Marble Arch. The hotel rate was £23 GBP! per 24h.

I was able to find an o2 hotspot from my hotel room (it could have been the cloud i forget).
That saved me (or my company) £23x5 = £115 GBP! for one trip alone! Wi-fi in London is crazy!

My trips to london alone make it worthwhile for the entire year. I think i pay more than $10 but i get worldwide roaming.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10870 posts
2207 upvotes
Kingston
tdott wrote:
Nov 7th, 2009 9:55 am
I travel alot and find it very useful.
I was in London, UK last week staying at a hotel in Marble Arch. The hotel rate was £23 GBP! per 24h.

I was able to find an o2 hotspot from my hotel room (it could have been the cloud i forget).
That saved me (or my company) £23x5 = £115 GBP! for one trip alone! Wi-fi in London is crazy!

My trips to london alone make it worthwhile for the entire year. I think i pay more than $10 but i get worldwide roaming.
Global is US$59/month. I thought it sounded like a lot, but your experience makes it a bargain!

I saw another post indicating that their company shares a Boingo account so it sounds like it can only be used by 2 devices at a time, but it isn't actually tied to 2 specific devices.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11586 posts
2985 upvotes
GTA
JWL wrote:
Nov 7th, 2009 9:02 am

One of the other interesting ones included is the Toronto OneZone mesh (downtown Toronto) which charges $5/hr, or $10/day, or $30/month. It appears you can get a month through Boingo for $10!

This alone makes this a very hot deal.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
1146 posts
85 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
wow...seems like a great deal just to get internet in toronto for like basic browsing and stuff...there's hotspots everywhere!
Feb 13, 2005
145 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga
I think I will sign up during xmas when I go to niagara. Thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2007
2351 posts
519 upvotes
London
It's not really as great as you think for replacing residential access. I tried it out thinking I could save mad money on my internet bill but there were problems.

1. You have to be near ground level to have a chance of getting a signal. I live on the 12th floor of an apartment building and I get nothing. The 4th floor lounge even gets nothing. Once you go outside downtown though, there are tonnes. Also does not work if you are sitting underground most of the time.

2. There is a clause in there TOS that says you are not allowed to use it as a replacement for residential internet. How they monitor it I do not know, but I would imagine that if you start downloading tonnes of GB of stuff, they will get suspicious.

When it did work, it worked fine for general web browsing and mail checking.

In the end, I signed up for the rogers extreme students deal @ 35$/mth for 8 months (no contract).
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10870 posts
2207 upvotes
Kingston
brucedlx wrote:
Nov 7th, 2009 12:31 pm
It's not really as great as you think for replacing residential access.
No one in this thread indicated they were thinking it would be great for replacing residential access, but thanks for the input in case anyone was thinking that.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5811 posts
243 upvotes
Vancouver
brucedlx wrote:
Nov 7th, 2009 12:31 pm
It's not really as great as you think for replacing residential access. I tried it out thinking I could save mad money on my internet bill but there were problems.

1. You have to be near ground level to have a chance of getting a signal. I live on the 12th floor of an apartment building and I get nothing. The 4th floor lounge even gets nothing. Once you go outside downtown though, there are tonnes. Also does not work if you are sitting underground most of the time.

2. There is a clause in there TOS that says you are not allowed to use it as a replacement for residential internet. How they monitor it I do not know, but I would imagine that if you start downloading tonnes of GB of stuff, they will get suspicious.

When it did work, it worked fine for general web browsing and mail checking.

In the end, I signed up for the rogers extreme students deal @ 35$/mth for 8 months (no contract).
I think this was meant to be an alternative for DATA plans from cellular providers that charge up the wazoo for data.
Jun 1, 2002
513 posts
52 upvotes
A good deal if you travel a lot to the States and want internet access in airports (I hate how American airports always charge for wifi). However, if most of the wifi spots you're hoping to access through this are Starbucks ones, you can get access to Starbucks wifi by purchasing a gift card, registering it on the Internet, and making sure you spend some of the money on it every month, in order to get access to Starbucks wifi.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11586 posts
2985 upvotes
GTA
Phantom wrote:
Nov 7th, 2009 1:31 pm
you can get access to Starbucks wifi by purchasing a gift card, registering it on the Internet, and making sure you spend some of the money on it every month, in order to get access to Starbucks wifi.
Don't know about Calgary, but here you don't even need a gift card anymore. You just register and can get 2hrs access a day. If you lived above a Starbucks, you could just register with a number of email addys and use each for 2hrs each.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2004
1793 posts
75 upvotes
Markham, ON
Are you sure this is not for 3 months only? I signed up back in May for this promo (first 3 months for $10/month) then $20something thereafter.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11586 posts
2985 upvotes
GTA
The more I think about this, the more I think I'll sign up. I currently have the stoopid 1GB/$30 on my iphone, but if I was to reduce this to the 500MB/$25 plan and sign up for this deal, I'd have unlimited when in downtown Toronto ( where I use it mostly) for another $5 ;)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11586 posts
2985 upvotes
GTA
aingaran wrote:
Nov 7th, 2009 1:35 pm
Are you sure this is not for 3 months only? I signed up back in May for this promo (first 3 months for $10/month) then $20something thereafter.

I googled around and it seems the answer is that it is a promo rate, but its not limited to 3 months. Can't find anything in the user agreement about that either.

There is a time limit on usage though:

Boingo Global is limited to 2,000 minutes of use of the services during any billing cycle month.
The total number of minutes that you can use the Service in any billing cycle month is 2,000.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7154 posts
1723 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Nov 7th, 2009 1:48 pm
I googled around and it seems the answer is that it is a promo rate, but its not limited to 3 months. Can't find anything in the user agreement about that either.

There is a time limit on usage though:

Boingo Global is limited to 2,000 minutes of use of the services during any billing cycle month.
The total number of minutes that you can use the Service in any billing cycle month is 2,000.
That time limit is for their $60/month international service only, not the $10 North America service.