• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2020 2:38 pm
[OP]
Dec 25, 2006
719 posts
651 upvotes
Ottawa

Unlock IPhone

Hi everyone. My wife has an iPhone 6s that is slowly dying. I found a pretty good deal on a used iPhone on Kijiji, but it is locked to Fido. My wife’s uses Virgin. Just wondering what the best way is to unlock the phone? It’s an iPhone 8. Thanks so much.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21026 posts
10533 upvotes
Oakville
Get the seller to unlock it. All carriers are supposed to unlock phones for free even if you're not a customer, but some make it harder than others - if the seller is on Fido, it'll be much easier for them to get it unlocked than for you to.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
2900 posts
1805 upvotes
Winnipeg
Find someone with a fido sim, put it in and get fido to unlock it.
Jan 17, 2013
772 posts
368 upvotes
FrostyWinnipeg wrote: Find someone with a fido sim, put it in and get fido to unlock it.
Better to get seller to unlock as mentioned by @jackrabbit000 . If the seller can't unlock it through Fido, perhaps the seller is not the owner of the phone?
[OP]
Dec 25, 2006
719 posts
651 upvotes
Ottawa
stack21 wrote: Better to get seller to unlock as mentioned by @jackrabbit000 . If the seller can't unlock it through Fido, perhaps the seller is not the owner of the phone?
Thanks everyone. Stupid question...are carriers obligated to unlock the phone? Or will they charge? Thanks again.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21026 posts
10533 upvotes
Oakville
marksmithy69 wrote: Thanks everyone. Stupid question...are carriers obligated to unlock the phone? Or will they charge? Thanks again.
They are obligated to unlock now, for free, since back in 2017. Some carriers were initially trying to charge to unlock for non-customers, but I think the outcry was sufficient enough that they stopped that process. Still better to get the seller to unlock it for you, if you can.