• Oct 5th, 2019 5:35 am
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 29, 2012
829 posts
259 upvotes
Scarborough

Unlock Telus phone?

I have a Galaxy S7 with 2 year Telus contract expiring mid October. I've called twice and they won't tell me how to unlock my phone or whether I can transfer my current number with them to another carrier. Looking at Zoomer which is $20 cheaper a month if I bring my old phone. Can I just let the Telus contract run out, not renew, and take it to a cell phone store to get it unlocked? What's the probability I can transfer my number from Telus to Zoomer? They're being so devious and vague. Service must be reliable so any suggestions please?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1544 posts
516 upvotes
When you bought the S7 the box had the codes on it to unlock your phone.
Alex
[OP]
Dec 29, 2012
829 posts
259 upvotes
Scarborough
sherman51 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 8:52 pm
When you bought the S7 the box had the codes on it to unlock your phone.
Thanks, I'll try to find the box which I probably discarded. Would Samsung know if I called them - is there a serial number somewhere on/in the phone?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6254 posts
2498 upvotes
Alberta
Contact Samsung Canada. I used they're chat line and they unlocked a S7 for me last year. You will need the IMEI for them to do it.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1411 posts
589 upvotes
Calgary
Also file a complaint with the CCTS as Telus is violating the wireless code for refusing to unlock the device.

Samsung chat is the way to go though.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18697 posts
6720 upvotes
Toronto
OP, based on the ongoing Zoomer thread, their deals are best if you take one of their phones and effectively lock in for 24 months. If you think their service works for you and don't plan on leaving, then there is nothing lost in taking what would be a free phone if you stay the entire 24 month duration. As for phone unlocking, just out of principle, I would contact Telus for the unlock code and if they give you grief, document it and use it in a CCTS complaint. As noted Samsung would be the alternate path for the unlock code. Since Telus made money on the phone sale, make them earn a living.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
[OP]
Dec 29, 2012
829 posts
259 upvotes
Scarborough
will888 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 9:33 am
OP, based on the ongoing Zoomer thread, their deals are best if you take one of their phones and effectively lock in for 24 months. If you think their service works for you and don't plan on leaving, then there is nothing lost in taking what would be a free phone if you stay the entire 24 month duration. As for phone unlocking, just out of principle, I would contact Telus for the unlock code and if they give you grief, document it and use it in a CCTS complaint. As noted Samsung would be the alternate path for the unlock code. Since Telus made money on the phone sale, make them earn a living.
Ok, called Telus and asked for loyalty discount, no luck - still $58 for 3GB. Called Zoomer and signed up $36 for 4GB plus 400 talk minutes, 2 year contract, free Huawei P20.

Now, do I ask Telus to unlock my current phone before or after Zoomer ports my number to them? I also need to transfer my contacts and files across, maybe wipe it and keep it as backup. Must admit both chat reps provided polite service.
Jul 19, 2010
484 posts
118 upvotes
Calgary
You can request the unlock from the website. Just Log into your Telus mobility account..
Aug 1, 2018
74 posts
40 upvotes
S/W, Ontario
Telus will email you the Unlock Code for Free, did the exact something with Koodo on my S7.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5096 posts
867 upvotes
Montreal
Rogers unlocked my friend's locked phone after she moved to Videotron. It was quite painless even though she was no longer a customer. Presumably Telus should be the same.
Phils
[OP]
Dec 29, 2012
829 posts
259 upvotes
Scarborough
Ok, one Telus chat rep told me they could not find an unlock code for my phone, so I called Samsung and they told me it was already unlocked. Zoomer phone should arrive this week. Hoping I can transfer files and contacts via Bluetooth to a Huawei from my Galaxy. Saving $310+ per year moving to Zoomer, hope service is reliable.
Jun 1, 2007
372 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
Speak to Telus tech support. They’ll unlock it for you.

Just pop on a non-Telus sim to verify they unlock.

Worst case, buy the unlock code on eBay for $2.