• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2020 11:49 pm
[OP]
Jun 11, 2009
22 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough

Unlocked Gaming Cellphone

I'm looking to replace my unlocked six year old Nexus 5 cellphone with a new gaming cellphone, What model would you recommend?

It needs to be large at least 6" screen with a very large battery something like 5000mAh and with at least a Snapdragon 855 processor.

I originally was going to settle with the Asus ROG 2 or the upcoming Asus ROG 3 phone but I heard that they have problems with the refresh rates not being exactly 60Hz, 90Hz or 120Hz.

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/ ... rate-issue

For most cellphone games this isn't an issue. However I have heard that not having exact refresh rates does lead to emulation slowdowns for when you want to run emulators (I'm thinking Dolphin and Daemon PS2 which new hardware can run that my old phone can't).

Do you know other phones with similar or better specs that don't have the refresh rate issue? My plan is with Freedom so it needs to be compatible with their networks as well.
2 replies
Dec 4, 2017
534 posts
229 upvotes
Check out this video about the best phones currently on the market in a number of categories. The entire video makes for an interesting view, but I've linked it straight to the part about gaming phones and the two that stand out above the others.

TL;DR: ZTE Nubia Red Magic 5G and Xiaomi Black Shark 3 Pro

Personally, I would hold off to compare these until you can get a direct comparison with the Motorola Edge+ (which is also mentioned briefly later in the video). That phone doesn't make some tradeoffs such as in camera quality that his gaming picks do.