• Oct 26th, 2019 10:48 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4356 posts
1378 upvotes
Vancouver

Unlocked LTE Tablet to use on Telus

My elderly parents were given a Telus tablet LTE plan a couple of years ago by my siblings and I and they are part of our shared family plan.

The cheapo Alcatel Android tablet is getting to that age when the battery starts to cause problems. I looking to getting them a better quality, maybe larger, tablet from either Telus or a 3rd party like Amazon, Newegg, or B&H. The quandry for me is that I've heard that Telus has a means to control what tablets are used on their system and if you don't buy the tablet from them they lock you out. Any truth to this?

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by NewsyL on Oct 26th, 2019 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 replies
Oct 4, 2019
33 posts
23 upvotes
Calgary
You can't go wrong with an iPad. I think that a 6th generation iPad will be the best option, if you can find an LTE one for a good price. It has the same internals as the 7th generation that was just announced in September, but lacks the extra features such as the slightly larger 10.2 inch screen and keyboard support. If you can find one on clearance either online or through a TELUS reseller I think that it would be a great replacement for them. The 7th gen is also good, but with the only advantage for them being the larger display, I don't see the benefit of the price difference between the 6th and 7th generations,
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4356 posts
1378 upvotes
Vancouver
Can't be an iPad.

Has to be an Android device so I can support it. I have seldom used Apple products so the UI is something of a mystery to me. They live a full day's travel from us and trying to resolve Android UI issues over the telephone is challenging enough as they are in their 80's and basically computer\technology illiterate.

Don't know if the Apple store is the same but with the Android Play store I can test apps on my own personal Android devices, see if it is something they will use and enjoy, and then load it remotely to their tablet.

It's the issue with Telus that is the most important to first clarify before I blow $400-500 on a Samsung Tab S3/S4 or $180 on a Tab A and then have the ISP shut it down.

May 27, 2016
83 posts
54 upvotes
BC
NewsyL wrote: Can't be an iPad.

Has to be an Android device so I can support it. I have seldom used Apple products so the UI is something of a mystery to me. They live a full day's travel from us and trying to resolve Android UI issues over the telephone is challenging enough as they are in their 80's and basically computer\technology illiterate.

Don't know if the Apple store is the same but with the Android Play store I can test apps on my own personal Android devices, see if it is something they will use and enjoy, and then load it remotely to their tablet.

It's the issue with Telus that is the most important to first clarify before I blow $400-500 on a Samsung Tab S3/S4 or $180 on a Tab A and then have the ISP shut it down.

Not sure which shared plan you are on but on "Peace of Mind" endless data plan, the website specifically says you can bring your own devices.

https://www.telus.com/en/mobility/new-at-telus#faqs - see last FAQ answer.