Cell Phones

Unlocked phones and VoLTE , Wi-Fi calling...?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2020 12:06 am
[OP]
Apr 16, 2017
29 posts
Longueuil

Unlocked phones and VoLTE , Wi-Fi calling...?

Say I buy an unlocked phone (I.e. oneplus 7 pro) am i SOL as far as VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling are concerned? From what I googled only Telus "might" activate those functions.
29 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2002
1333 posts
488 upvotes
Midland
It depends if the carrier supports that handset, sometimes you can Google and find discussions of people's saying this phone has wifi calling etc.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1342 posts
234 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Rogers/Fido wil not allow WiFi calling on a device unless it was purchased from them.
Oct 19, 2012
240 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
robertz wrote: Rogers/Fido wil not allow WiFi calling on a device unless it was purchased from them.
Just wanted to add my experiences. I have now been able to use a Samsung Galaxy A70 with Telus and Rogers that was not bought from either of them and was able to get VoLTE and VoWiFi on both. Same thing with a Huawei P30 Pro.

This previously did not happen last year any phones except Samsung and only after changing the CSC sales code.

So maybe things have changed this year with phones and carriers. I'm very surprised Rogers appears to be allowing unlocked phones with VoLTE and VoWiFi.
Current Cell Plans
Telus: 50GB PoM Connect EPP BYOD
Rogers: 10GB Share Everything Ultra
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15680 posts
4736 upvotes
London
robertz wrote: Rogers/Fido wil not allow WiFi calling on a device unless it was purchased from them.
Except iphones and some samsung phones?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2085 posts
1161 upvotes
Calgary
l69norm wrote: Except iphones and some samsung phones?
And Pixels I believe.
Nov 25, 2006
381 posts
51 upvotes
Ottawa
What if you flash the firmware that is from the carrier you wish to use volte or wifi calling on?
For example, I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 from koodo but I just downloaded the latest Videotron firmware to flash.
Would this work?
Thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2013
1441 posts
1114 upvotes
St Catharines
snyper81 wrote: What if you flash the firmware that is from the carrier you wish to use volte or wifi calling on?
For example, I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 from koodo but I just downloaded the latest Videotron firmware to flash.
Would this work?
Thanks
I have a Bell Note 9 on Fido. I tried changing the CSC, and flashing the "Fido" firmware, and am not able to register for wifi calling.
Images
  • Screenshot_20190901-172055_Wi-Fi Calling.jpg
Jun 2, 2010
576 posts
275 upvotes
Toronto
2kfire wrote: I have a Bell Note 9 on Fido. I tried changing the CSC, and flashing the "Fido" firmware, and am not able to register for wifi calling.
Because Fido keeps an IMEI inventory database of the phones they sell. If you didn't buy a phone from them, they say over and over again in their forums that you cannot get VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling. Here is the forum thread specific to the Note 9: Fido Wi-Fi Calling on Note 9
Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data
Dec 11, 2012
248 posts
110 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
I just bought a Oneplus 7 Pro from their website 2 weeks ago and Wifi calling nor VOLTE doesn't work on either Virgin and TELUS (I'm using dual-sim). Cannot make it happen as the IMEI is not registered with them. I've tried to add the phone in the Virgin account but they said it doesn't exist in their database (for you reference, I did easily add iPhone XS to my account before bought directly from Apple Store and wifi calling was working fine).
Jun 2, 2010
576 posts
275 upvotes
Toronto
sokhangoo wrote: (for you reference, I did easily add iPhone XS to my account before bought directly from Apple Store and wifi calling was working fine).
Apple won’t allow this carrier nonsense. That is one big plus if you buy iPhone vs Android.
Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data
Aug 27, 2017
25 posts
9 upvotes
soljah12 wrote: Just wanted to add my experiences. I have now been able to use a Samsung Galaxy A70 with Telus and Rogers that was not bought from either of them and was able to get VoLTE and VoWiFi on both. Same thing with a Huawei P30 Pro.

This previously did not happen last year any phones except Samsung and only after changing the CSC sales code.

So maybe things have changed this year with phones and carriers. I'm very surprised Rogers appears to be allowing unlocked phones with VoLTE and VoWiFi.
This is important to me. How di dyou get it to work? I'm buying a US Samsung Note 10+, did your A70 just work plug in play? Or did you have to flash that too? I'm using Rogers.
Oct 19, 2012
240 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
MT1414 wrote: This is important to me. How di dyou get it to work? I'm buying a US Samsung Note 10+, did your A70 just work plug in play? Or did you have to flash that too? I'm using Rogers.
I actually didn't do anything, I simply put the Telus and Rogers sim card into them, IMS registration was successful, VoLTE and WiFi calling were selected and everything just worked! As mentioned, this previously NEVER happened with Rogers but did work with Telus/Koodo. Even our last year's Samsung's wouldn't work on Rogers and still didn't the last time I checked this year. So I think something has now changed with Rogers this year with 2019 phones.

As for you though, I don't think the same applies for international phones. I bought mine in Canada, although not from Rogers or Fido but they still worked. I guess time will tell for you though. Keep us updated please.
Current Cell Plans
Telus: 50GB PoM Connect EPP BYOD
Rogers: 10GB Share Everything Ultra
Nov 7, 2016
196 posts
46 upvotes
Canada
TheNightOwl wrote: Because Fido keeps an IMEI inventory database of the phones they sell. If you didn't buy a phone from them, they say over and over again in their forums that you cannot get VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling. Here is the forum thread specific to the Note 9: Fido Wi-Fi Calling on Note 9
Why does a Note 9 bought from Telus work with those features on Rogers with their CSC then?
Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using the RFD Forums app.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1342 posts
234 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
l69norm wrote: Except iphones and some samsung phones?
I purchased a Galaxy S8 from Bell. I then switched to Rogers and they would not allow WiFi calling because, sd there top tier technic technical support rep said, the device wasn't purchased from them. I even changed the CSC code and that didn't help as they said the dice wasn't registered in their DB.

Perhaps if you purchase a device from Samsung and insert a Rogers SIM first it might work. And I don't know if they've changed their policies as I've since ported out.