Cell Phones

Unlocked phones and VoLTE , Wi-Fi calling...?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2020 12:06 am
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
3520 posts
982 upvotes
sokhangoo wrote: I just bought a Oneplus 7 Pro from their website 2 weeks ago and Wifi calling nor VOLTE doesn't work on either Virgin and TELUS (I'm using dual-sim). Cannot make it happen as the IMEI is not registered with them. I've tried to add the phone in the Virgin account but they said it doesn't exist in their database (for you reference, I did easily add iPhone XS to my account before bought directly from Apple Store and wifi calling was working fine).
In my experience, you'll never get those features on a oneplus device in Canada, no matter the carrier. Even in the US, I think only TMobile supports 1+
Nov 17, 2014
343 posts
281 upvotes
Toronto, ON
My experience :
THe only providers that has Volte and Wifi calling working for me are - Telus, virgin mobile and Freedom...
Again it depends on the device...
International note 8 (N950F) - Android Oreo did not work but with Pie worked ( ofcourse have to use the appropriate csc)
International note 9 ( N960F) - Worked with both oreo and pie.

One other thing to consider with out of network devices it is carieer aggregration ( CA) . CA gives faster network and higher internet speeds.
Note 8 has given me consistent CA with VM and Koodo
Note 9 has been variable depeding on the location.
Koodo
May 15, 2012
131 posts
59 upvotes
Surrey
soljah12 wrote: I actually didn't do anything, I simply put the Telus and Rogers sim card into them, IMS registration was successful, VoLTE and WiFi calling were selected and everything just worked! As mentioned, this previously NEVER happened with Rogers but did work with Telus/Koodo. Even our last year's Samsung's wouldn't work on Rogers and still didn't the last time I checked this year. So I think something has now changed with Rogers this year with 2019 phones.

As for you though, I don't think the same applies for international phones. I bought mine in Canada, although not from Rogers or Fido but they still worked. I guess time will tell for you though. Keep us updated please.
After reading your original comment I pinged Rogers over Twitter DM using a Samsung A90 byod as an example. The rep said that wifi calling would not work since the device is not from Rogers.

It is extremely interesting to know that it worked for you and good news indeed.
Oct 19, 2012
240 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
steveMR wrote: After reading your original comment I pinged Rogers over Twitter DM using a Samsung A90 byod as an example. The rep said that wifi calling would not work since the device is not from Rogers.

It is extremely interesting to know that it worked for you and good news indeed.
Yes, their official stance on VoLTE and WiFi calling hasn't changed (Rogers) but my experience has. Just to confirm that it really worked, I left my sim card in both devices for a week each to ensure I didn't lose both services after a few hours or days.

In my experience, Telus has been the best carrier to allow VoLTE and WiFi calling on Canadian unlocked phones, meaning phones that they sell themselves but not bought from them.

I actually just figured out how to reset my Huawei P30 Pro and make it default with another carrier as we just moved one of our lines to Telus. Now the phone thinks it's a Telus branded phone and has the Telus apps by default. This wasn't needed to get services working but I wanted it simply for software updates to be from Telus.
Current Cell Plans
Telus: 50GB PoM Connect EPP BYOD
Rogers: 10GB Share Everything Ultra
Feb 5, 2017
343 posts
322 upvotes
Vancouver
Rogers/Fido only allows VoLTE/WiFi Calling for phones originally purchased from them. You can try asking them to enter in your IMEI on their database to enable it, but YMMV

I recently moved to Virgin Mobile. Decided to try my unlocked Rogers S8 and was able to use VoLTE/WiFi without issue
Oct 19, 2012
240 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
Yazzy88 wrote: Rogers/Fido only allows VoLTE/WiFi Calling for phones originally purchased from them. You can try asking them to enter in your IMEI on their database to enable it, but YMMV

I recently moved to Virgin Mobile. Decided to try my unlocked Rogers S8 and was able to use VoLTE/WiFi without issue
Please see my previous responses regarding this. For older devices, yes. For devices that I've bought this year (2019), not exactly as I've already got my Samsung Galaxy A70 and Huawei P30 Pro to work on Rogers with VoLTE and WiFi calling.

I encourage others with different phones bought this year in Canada but not from Rogers/Fido to experiment and report back with your experiences, even if you just try with a friends Rogers Sim card or non-Rogers phone.
Current Cell Plans
Feb 5, 2017
343 posts
322 upvotes
Vancouver
soljah12 wrote: Please see my previous responses regarding this. For older devices, yes. For devices that I've bought this year (2019), not exactly as I've already got my Samsung Galaxy A70 and Huawei P30 Pro to work on Rogers with VoLTE and WiFi calling.

I encourage others with different phones bought this year in Canada but not from Rogers/Fido to experiment and report back with your experiences, even if you just try with a friends Rogers Sim card or non-Rogers phone.
I don't have a 2019 phone to test.
I tried a Bell LG G7 ThinQ with my Rogers SIM card. Tried provisioning for WiFi calling but it did not work - goes through the process but never completes.
Then moved that same sim card to a Rogers LG G6 and went through same setup process - WiFi provisioning was a success and was able to place/receive calls
Feb 1, 2013
114 posts
154 upvotes
Ottawa
One of the reasons why I left Rogers.
Jan 4, 2013
71 posts
92 upvotes
BRADFORD
soljah12 wrote: I actually just figured out how to reset my Huawei P30 Pro and make it default with another carrier as we just moved one of our lines to Telus. Now the phone thinks it's a Telus branded phone and has the Telus apps by default. This wasn't needed to get services working but I wanted it simply for software updates to be from Telus.
How?
:twisted: When you say "9 out of 10 forest fires are caused by humans" all i hear is, "There's a bear out there who know how to use matches." :evil:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:lol: I can always tell when the dinosaurs they use in movies are not real :)
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3917 posts
2161 upvotes
Gotham
I have a dual SIM Samsung Galaxy S9 that did not come from a carrier. It can do VoLTE and WiFi calling with most carriers that I've used the phone on, including Rogers/Fido, T-Mobile (US) and a few overseas carriers.
Screenshot_20200602-211155_Call settings.jpg
20200602_204933.jpg
Jan 4, 2013
71 posts
92 upvotes
BRADFORD
I have an international dual sim Huawei p30 pro and wifi calling will work only for about half hour after activating it on my LG v30, and then stops and can't activate it.
Images
  • Screenshot_20200603_230330_com.android.partnerbrowsercustomizations.tmobile.jpg
:twisted: When you say "9 out of 10 forest fires are caused by humans" all i hear is, "There's a bear out there who know how to use matches." :evil:
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2010
1154 posts
508 upvotes
Waterloo
Don’t know if this helps but I have an iPhone 8 from Rogers that I’m currently using on Freedom with VoLTE and wifi calling enabled - just popped the sim in and it was good to go.

As other people have said Apple makes it easy to do this, so not sure about Android brands but Freedom also seems to be more lax on what they allow, as long as it’s a supported phone. I’d be willing to bet you could use another phone like a Pixel that wasn’t bought from them, but enable wifi calling/VoLTE without hassles but I haven’t done it myself yet.
Oct 19, 2012
240 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
Nsane89 wrote: How?
I reset the (factory reset) and then cleared the cache with the new carrier sim card inside the phone. Then when I went through the setup, it changed to my new carrier. Phone started out with Koodo, then I successfully did this and re-branded to Rogers and had all services working (VoLTE & WiFi Calling), then re-branded from Rogers to Telus and once again have all features (VoLTE & WiFi calling) working again with Telus.
Current Cell Plans
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2313 posts
129 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I've had no problems with an AT&T Galaxy S10 and Rogers S10+ running on Fido for Wifi calling option turned on. Odd to hear that.
Jan 4, 2013
71 posts
92 upvotes
BRADFORD
I have an international p30 pro (dual sim) phone works with rogers sim, just not wifi calling. Called them and they said that unless I bought the phone from them, it won't work. So I will be switching to Telus since they have no restrictions. Just waiting for my sim cards to show up.