• Aug 25th, 2015 9:54 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 30, 2012
170 posts
85 upvotes

Unlocking off contract iPhone with the carrier that locked it

I wanted to unlock a Telus iPhone that was locked to Telus but off contract. Telus wanted another three months service in order to unlock phone. Yet if you review Telus and for that matter Bell's policy (and probably other carriers)on unlocking their phones :if the phone is not subsidized (eg. paid for) and not reported lost or stolen you can immediately ask for unlock if you are a prepaid customer and have enough money in prepaid account to cover the unlock.
I had a Telus sim -set up a prepaid account and linked the IMEI of the Iphone to that sim ,then put $50 dollars on account and chatted with telus support online in to ask for unlock...no problem. There may cheaper third party unlocks but Bell and Telus seem to be more than $50 on ebay and online. Hope this helps someone.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1115 posts
518 upvotes
Corunna, ON
Was this a store that told you that or a 800 #? I would call the 800 number they will probably unlock it. Store reps sometimes lie if what you are asking doesn't involve a sale.
[OP]
Aug 30, 2012
170 posts
85 upvotes
no it was the 800 number -probably wanted to make more money off the phone. but then I read the CRTC policy and Telus' own policy so went the prepaid route which at most would cost a person the cost of a sim card (I had extra Telus sim at home)plus the $50 for unlock..
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2010
1977 posts
427 upvotes
Toronto
Third party unlock is always the best choice

The provider does not want you to unlock it so they inflate their unlock rates
Zoomer Wireless [on Rogers Network] $36 - 400 Canada Wide Minutes + 2GB LTE data
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8272 posts
957 upvotes
Brampton
Wanted to update with my recent experience of unlocking an old Bell iPhone 4S:

It was used under an old corporate company account. (phone was used on the bell network for over a year)

I wanted to get it unlocked but I was never the bell customer.

Read about the prepaid method so I activated a new sim card(got for free a while ago) with $0 balance and made sure the imei is on file(not sure if it matters)

Called the next day to the loss prevention department directly at 1-800-509-9904. They handle all bell unlocks.

Was able to have the phone unlocked right away and they charged my credit card $50 + tax separately allowing me to never need to add money to the account.

If you call and your not a bell customer they will tell you right away that they cannot unlock your phone.

This method beats out those third partly unlocks as its still cheaper then most plus its the most reliable. If you have a Rogers/Fido iPhone then those cheap third party unlocks are worth the risk.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
2972 posts
867 upvotes
I have a different experience. I bought a used 4s a long time ago, and wife used on Bell for a couple of years. She has since upgraded the phone and still under contract. Contacted Bell about unlocking it and was told it was black listed. My guess is that whoever I bought from defaulted on their Bell contract. It is not blacklisted with Apple - works fine and registers, etc., but Bell refuses not to unlock it. It's now an Touch essentially.
Nov 9, 2014
576 posts
261 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
peasy9 wrote: I wanted to unlock a Telus iPhone that was locked to Telus but off contract. Telus wanted another three months service in order to unlock phone. Yet if you review Telus and for that matter Bell's policy (and probably other carriers)on unlocking their phones :if the phone is not subsidized (eg. paid for) and not reported lost or stolen you can immediately ask for unlock if you are a prepaid customer and have enough money in prepaid account to cover the unlock.
I had a Telus sim -set up a prepaid account and linked the IMEI of the Iphone to that sim ,then put $50 dollars on account and chatted with telus support online in to ask for unlock...no problem. There may cheaper third party unlocks but Bell and Telus seem to be more than $50 on ebay and online. Hope this helps someone.

"If the phone is not subsidized eg. paid for and not reported lost or stolen you can immediately unlock it." This only applies if you bought your device outright, not signed up for a contract. You signed up for a contract and now its off contract and Telus wants 3 months because it was subsidized in the first place.
Virgin Mobile $75 | 10GB Unl.| Unl. Canada Wide | Unlimited Text/Pic Msg | 75.00

Don't forget to hit the THANKS button if I've helped. Have a Great Day!
[OP]
Aug 30, 2012
170 posts
85 upvotes
Once you are off contract the phone is no longer subsidized-it is all paid for!Currently CRTC allows unlocking after 90 days on a contract while phone is still subsidized. So the customer who finished a contract(before the new rules) and now has a paid off phone (and is also in another contract with same company for another phone)is penalized by the company in my opinion.

But the point of this post was not to carp too much about how the phone providers always try to get more money from customers but how a customer can try to use the rules in place to pay less money to the phone provider!
Aug 16, 2015
6 posts
Halifax, NS
I have a Telus iPhone 4S I want unlocked. Currently I am not a Telus customer but do have a Telus sim that is unused, so how would U go about getting it unlocked? I have to put $50 credit in an account and then ask for it to be unlocked?
Thanks
Aug 16, 2015
6 posts
Halifax, NS
Called Telus, 1st guy said I could do a prepay account and unlock immediately, just need to add $50 to the account. At this point I got interrupted at work and ended the call.
I called back and got a super friendly guy who set up the prepay account for me, told me he can do the unlock for $35 no taxes, he added $35 to the account by adding a $10 and $25 prepay and unlocked it. He then gave me 5 day unlimited texting to try out the Telus network. Amazing, I guess it sometimes depends on who you get on the other end of the line.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2966 posts
1515 upvotes
If you are off contract and paid in full, these companies should be unlocking your phone for free. So ridiculous.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)